• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy to be clean when there's nobody there to mess it up. :P

CW

359924[/snapback]

Ouch.

I can vouch for both San Jose and Portland. I live near San Jose and my brother lives just south of Portland. Both places are nice

Only behind Portland, Oregon & San Jose, California......

Way to Go, Buffalo! :w00t:

359922[/snapback]

GoodDay NY, Mornings never looked better :P

At least Jody Applegate is easy on the eyes.

What they didn't tell you was that the voting took place entirely in Buffalo.

360027[/snapback]

No no no ... what they didn't tell you is that there was a typo ... they were referring to Buffalo, Wyoming.

It's a common mistake made because Buffalo, WY lies on the I-90 as well. :P

Way to Go, Buffalo! :P

359922[/snapback]

Buffalo has one of the highest concentration of toxic waste sites in the country. You can't go more than a a few miles without running into a Superfund site.

Maybe our polution hit such a critical point that it has hit a metaphysical milestone, like an event horizon in a black hole. Once the concentrations of polution hit a certain point it starts to reverse itself!

Buffalo has one of the highest concentration of toxic waste sites in the country. You can't go more than a a few miles without running into a Superfund site.

360058[/snapback]

Link

While this very commonly said, this is absolutely false. The dubious distinction for highest concentration of toxic waste, at least in New York (which has 110 current and resovled sites), is Nassau County on Long Island. The state with the most in the country is in New Jersey which has 138 current and resovled sites, but given that the #2 state is PA at 122, I would say the highest concentration lies in Philly.

There have been two superfund sites in Erie County. One is in Brant, the other by the airport. Only the one by the airport has not been resolved, with the on in Brant made safe by removal of the contaminated soil.

Even Niagara Falls has made strides in cleaning or at least containing their mess.

Link

While this very commonly said, this is absolutely false.  The dubious distinction for highest concentration of toxic waste, at least in New York (which has 110 current and resovled sites), is Nassau County on Long Island.  The state with the most in the country is in New Jersey which has 138 current and resovled sites, but given that the #2 state is PA at 122, I would say the highest concentration lies in Philly.

There have been two superfund sites in Erie County.  One is in Brant, the other by the airport.  Only the one by the airport has not been resolved, with the on in Brant made safe by removal of the contaminated soil. 

Even Niagara Falls has made strides in cleaning or at least containing their mess.

360193[/snapback]

There are many more than TWO superfund sites in Buffalo. Here is a list found on the EPA's web site:

159 Porter Ave

175 Porter Street

240 Kensington Site

858 Ferry Street

Alltiff Landfill Site

Buffaloforge

Cold Springs Neighborhood Site

Fourth Street

Franczyk Park Site

Graphic Controls Site

Hanna Furnace/Union Ship Canal

Hydroponic Tomato Site

Kensington Ave (Gaiter 2)

Liberty Site (Gaiter 3)

Northumberland St (Gaiter 1)

Pollack Building Site

Smith / Leddy Street

Trinidad Park Site

Webster Block Site

Keep in mind that this is JUST BUFFALO and does not include the surrounding suburbs. There are numerous brownfields that have caused problems such as the infamous Hickory Woods.

Link

There have been two superfund sites in Erie County.  One is in Brant, the other by the airport.  Only the one by the airport has not been resolved, with the on in Brant made safe by removal of the contaminated soil. 

360193[/snapback]

Ah, the Phol Brothers site- the home of the 3 eyed fish.

There are many more than TWO superfund sites in Buffalo. Here is a list found on the EPA's web site:

159 Porter Ave

175 Porter Street 

240 Kensington Site

858 Ferry Street

Alltiff Landfill Site

Buffaloforge

Cold Springs Neighborhood Site

Fourth Street

Franczyk Park Site

Graphic Controls Site

Hanna Furnace/Union Ship Canal

Hydroponic Tomato Site

Kensington Ave (Gaiter 2)

Liberty Site (Gaiter 3)

Northumberland St (Gaiter 1)

Pollack Building Site

Smith / Leddy Street

Trinidad Park Site

Webster Block Site

Keep in mind that this is JUST BUFFALO and does not include the surrounding suburbs. There are numerous brownfields that have caused problems such as the infamous Hickory Woods.

360211[/snapback]

Another EPA Link says the same thing: only two Superfund sites in Erie county.

Maybe you are talking about hazardous waste sites. These include things like dry cleaning, motor oil and blacksmithing chemicals. By this Hazardous waste site search, there are 39 more sites in Erie county that have been at some time been classified as hazardous. There are 40 in Nassau county, so, I stand by what I said. There has never been a Superfund site within Buffalo's city limits, and only two, within Erie County. Furthermore, based on the EPA links I presented, Nassau county has more superfund sites than Niagara, Erie, Genessee, Wyoming, Chautauqua and Orleans counties combined. Within NY, it is by far a more risky place to live, at least when considering toxic waste.

Reminds me of when NYPIRG came calling to my house one day in the form of idealistic young college student.

Him: "Isn't it terrible that your tax dollars are paying for the superfund clean-up and not the companies."

Me: Yeah, that sucks.

Him: "Don't you think someone should do something about it."

Me: Sure

Him: "Would you like to donate $50 dollars or more?

Me: No

Him: *Angrily stomps away*

What I was thinking was my tax dollars are being wasted cleaning up this crap, why should a whole bunch more be wasted to try to get someone else to clean it up themselves. Either way, money comes out of my pocket.

Another EPA Link says the same thing:  only two Superfund sites in Erie county.

Maybe you are talking about hazardous waste sites.  These include things like dry cleaning, motor oil and blacksmithing chemicals.  By this Hazardous waste site search, there are 39 more sites in Erie county that have been at some time been classified as hazardous.  There are 40 in Nassau county, so, I stand by what I said.  There has never been a Superfund site within Buffalo's city limits, and only two, within Erie County.  Furthermore, based on the EPA links I presented, Nassau county has more superfund sites than Niagara, Erie, Genessee, Wyoming, Chautauqua and Orleans counties combined.  Within NY, it is by far a more risky place to live, at least when considering toxic waste.

360271[/snapback]

There are different classifications of Superfund sites. THe list you are refering to are what are called "national priority" sites.

For example, on the list I provided is the East Ferry site, which is right across from True Bethel Baptist Church. There is a sign (a very small one) on the fence marking it as a superfund site. In that neighborhood the Lupus rates have skyrocketed.

What is clear, no matter how we parse it out, Buffalo is a very dirty and polluted city.

Way to Go, Buffalo! :blush:

359922[/snapback]

That ranking is ridiculous. Places like Amherst or Clarence may be clean but many parts of Buffalo city are filthy.