Esiason, Simms out at CBS Sports

dpberr

There were too many guys on that desk last season. Simms and Esiason, even Cower rarely had a chance to talk. I always thought Simms had good honest insight. I recall last year the 13 seconds game came up, and one guy after another talked about the bills not getting the ball back in OT.  Simms correctly pointed out that the Bills poor defense concepts allowed KC to tie. In general, these shows could have smaller teams. Nobody gets to talk for more than 20 or 30 seconds on the networks. ESPN and NFL channel have more time and flexibility for larger teams but even they over do it. 

On 4/29/2024 at 12:28 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Interesting.  The Fox NFL Sunday is still rolling deep with Terry and Jimmy despite both being terrible.  

Yeah, both are past their time, well past.  

Posted (edited)

didnt mind Boomer or Simms.   im sure theyll be replaced with 2 guys that are either more boring or are louder and know nothing.  either way,  watching pregame shows is a waste of time now anyways,  theyre all bad.   imagine whats really happening here is,  fire old guys with big contracts,  hire new guys for less.   happens everywhere.

Edited by bigduke6

On 4/29/2024 at 12:44 PM, Virgil said:

With all of this turnover we see with sportscasters, I wonder how much of it is based off audience viewership feedback vs wanting to bring someone in at a lesser salary?  

If so, how does Collins worth have a job?

On 4/30/2024 at 10:08 AM, stuvian said:

Boomer never did anything as player or announcer to impress me. Simms has won something meaningful and is a good analyst. I would put Jimmy Johnson as the best football mind ever over BB. Terry is the worst attention addict I've ever seen. 

Jimmy is better than BB at finding talent yet think the latter better at Xs and Os. Both up their in overall coaching though easily in Top 5 of the modern era. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 12:44 PM, Virgil said:

With all of this turnover we see with sportscasters, I wonder how much of it is based off audience viewership feedback vs wanting to bring someone in at a lesser salary?  

Gotta be both. People DGAF to listen to Boomer (who is still at least smart, if not irrelevant) or Simms (who has been a wooden statue for years).

On 4/29/2024 at 12:48 PM, Chicken Boo said:

I don't even watch pregame shows anymore, but Ryan seems like a good addition.  

Ryan seems like just a younger version of who just got axed. Total milquetoast. 

On 4/29/2024 at 12:50 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Long overdue.  Simms has been unwatchable for years. He really struggles with basic sentence structure. Esiason was fine. New faces may be good. 

Honestly rarely watch anything but the actual game. But every once in a while I tune in early or the post game show is still on in the background. 

I am pretty sure I've never heard Matt Ryan speak. If you played just his voice I would not be able to pick him out. I have no idea how he will do.

Never a big fan of his. Choked alot in the playoffs even though the SuperBowl loss was more on the defense. 

Pretty much yes to this. I HAVE heard Matt Ryan speak, and it makes sense why a broadcast network signed him: he seems like a safe, younger, lame, former QB to replace the really old, lame, old AF former QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, smward8 said:

If so, how does Collins worth have a job?

He has founded an NFL "analytics" empire that is already intrinsically interwoven with so many broadcasts and online channels. And somehow much of the U.S. NFL viewing public might actually NOT have viscerally negative responses to his appearance, voice, and general demeanor?! That seems crazy, though. That guy is like an undead zombie (ever looked at his hands ffs) avatar for yucky 1980s white male privilege.

**analytics is in quotes because PFF's core rankings are subjective and suspect to their cores. 

I get Simms and Esiason mixed up.  They could be the same person.  Why pay for two of the exact thing.  Buh bye.