New Bills WR. Former Lion Quintez Cephus

MAJBobby

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Do you think Benjamin is comparable to Keon Coleman as an athlete?  

I think Coleman is more explosive and smoother. They have similar straight line speed but Coleman’s a better athlete.

The point was, that Beane once liked Benjamin too. He drafted him in the 1st and traded for him. Beane doesn’t value quickness, speed and space as much as he values size. I think that’s an antiquated philosophy. I wouldn’t add guys that run 4.71 coming of a full season suspension for gambling. I’d rather take a flier on someone more explosive.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

As they did Diggs, Beasley John brown, gabe Davis in rd 4 and Shakir in rd 5

Yes, I wish the Brandon Beane that acquired Diggs, Beasley, Brown and Davis came out to play in last 4 years. 

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Beane arrived in 2017. Pretty sure that’s more than 5 years ago. I can count AND lmao.

Beane arrived after the draft and free agency in 2017.  That was not his team.  But I'll give you the extra year. Over last 6 years, the Bills have the 3rd most wins in the NFL (2 behind the Ravens).  So Josh's developmental season pushes us down one spot.  What exactly are you arguing....

1. That he sucks

2. That he should be replaced

3. That only MOST wins in the last 5-6 years is acceptable

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Beane arrived after the draft and free agency in 2017.  That was not his team.  But I'll give you the extra year. Over last 6 years, the Bills have the 3rd most wins in the NFL (2 behind the Ravens).  So Josh's developmental season pushes us down one spot.  What exactly are you arguing....

1. That he sucks

2. That he should be replaced

3. That only MOST wins in the last 5-6 years is acceptable

Im arguing having less wins than the Ravens with the far superior QB is not the feather in his cap you think it is.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think Coleman is more explosive and smoother. They have similar straight line speed but Coleman’s a better athlete.

The point was, that Beane once liked Benjamin too. He drafted him in the 1st and traded for him. Beane doesn’t value quickness, speed and space as much as he values size. I think that’s an antiquated philosophy. I wouldn’t add guys that run 4.71 coming of a full season suspension for gambling. I’d rather take a flier on someone more explosive.

Might be right, but one could also say that he signed John brown, Beasley, traded for Diggs, signed Harty, drafted shakir and signed samuel.  🤷🏻‍♂️ doesn’t seem that unbalanced to me

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes, I wish the Brandon Beane that acquired Diggs, Beasley, Brown and Davis came out to play in last 4 years. 

I agree 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Im arguing having less wins than the Ravens with the far superior QB is not the feather in his cap you think it is.

I'm not sure Baltimore fans would agree that he is far superior. Or NFL fans.  Lamar did win the MVP.  Josh has not.  But I agree that Josh is superior. Or at least, I'd rather have him.   Btw, they have the same exact amount of playoff wins.  I'm simply arguing that BB is a top 5 GM....top 3 if you're going off wins.  Top 4 if you're going off playoff wins.  He must be doing something right.  And one of those things was targeting, maneuvering, and developing said quarterback.  I grew up in Chicago.  The Bears have not done that once.  BB did it on his first try, first draft....and I'm guessing you were screaming for Rosen on draft day obsessed with 56 percent completion percentage.

51 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

I believe it is disputable that Mahomes has better weapons than Josh.  

I will say this, they do not have an X receiver. Brown and Worthy play in an out and are small so can’t win consistently against press. Maybe Worthy can, but that was the concern pre-draft. For all the hype about Rice, he mostly played a big slot. Kelce obviously a generational TE. Like us, Reid, and most teams move guys around and hopefully create opportunities for receivers. The argument about winning one on ones as a boundary X…there aren’t that many guys in the NFL who can. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 518Buffalo said:

Well I was definitely hoping this would be a guy with some speed. Disappointing that after the talk about getting "more explosive" we didn't make a significant investment on that front. I guess the WR room will be looking like:

Shakir

Samuel

Coleman

Hollins

Hamler/Isabella

Shorter/Shavers/Cephus

I wish one of our 4-6 guys had some more developmental upside but that's probably fine, not much worse than any other team's 4-6. After getting basically nada from Sherfield and Hardy last year it could even be an upgrade. It's the top end talent that will be lacking in 2024, and that wasn't gonna be solved anyways unless we traded significant future assets which I'm glad we didn't do

Samuel ran 4.31 at his combine but deep passes don’t seem to be a major part of his game.

7 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

I'm not sure Baltimore fans would agree that he is far superior. Or NFL fans.  Lamar did win the MVP.  Josh has not.  But I agree that Josh is superior. Or at least, I'd rather have him.   Btw, they have the same exact amount of playoff wins.  I'm simply arguing that BB is a top 5 GM....top 3 if you're going off wins.  Top 4 if you're going off playoff wins.  He must be doing something right.  And one of those things was targeting, maneuvering, and developing said quarterback.  I grew up in Chicago.  The Bears have not done that once.  BB did it on his first try, first draft....and I'm guessing you were screaming for Rosen on draft day obsessed with 56 percent completion percentage.

Brandon Beane got the most important position right. He knocked it out of the park. 

It’s the rest of his body of work I take issue with.

There was once a young GM in Indianapolis.  He nailed his QB pick and had 3 straight seasons of 11 wins and playoff runs. They had some bad injury luck, failed to build around their QB (leading to his retirement) and that GM was fired. During his tenure, they were fifth in total wins in the NFL. 

Was he a truly top 5 GM in those days? Do we look back at Ryan Grigson and say man, that guy was great?

No, of course not.

Are we going to look back at the first 7 years of Josh’s career 10 years from now and talk about how great of a job everyone around him did?

I don’t think so. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Brandon Beane got the most important position right. He knocked it out of the park. 

It’s the rest of his body of work I take issue with.

There was once a young GM in Indianapolis.  He nailed his QB pick and had 3 straight seasons of 11 wins and playoff runs. They had some bad injury luck, failed to build around their QB (leading to his retirement) and that GM was fired. During his tenure, they were fifth in total wins in the NFL. 

Was he a truly top 5 GM in those days? Do we look back at Ryan Grigson and say man, that guy was great?

No, of course not.

Are we going to look back at the first 7 years of Josh’s career 10 years from now and talk about how great of a job everyone around him did?

I don’t think so. 

So this is where we disagree.  I think the Beane/Allen combo is so strong that it will result in at least 2 super bowls.  I think they're both elite.

Just now, bearstobills said:

So this is where we disagree.  I think the Beane/Allen combo is so strong that it will result in at least 2 super bowls.  I think they're both elite.

The first 6 years are already over. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He loved Kelvin Benjamin too. While everyone gets faster, we get big, sluggish, late round fliers, street FAs, and UDFAs to support our HOF QB. 

5 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Samuel ran 4.31 at his combine but deep passes don’t seem to be a major part of his game.

Curtis Samuel is a good receiver who has probably played with the worst set of QBs of any receiver in the league over his seven-year career.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The first 6 years are already over. 

And I've loved every minute of it.  Again I was a lifelong Bears fan.  They've never had a run of sustained excellence like this.  The Bills haven't gotten over the hump, but that in no way constitutes any kind of failure.  We seem to both agree that they have been a top 3 team over the past 5 years.  I will sign up for that over the next five years also.  Because that will give them a chance to win the Super Bowl every one of those years.

Edited by bearstobills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bearstobills said:

And I've loved every minute of it.  Again I was a lifelong Bears fan.  They've never had a run of sustained excellence like this.  The Nills haven't gotten over the hump, but that in no way constitutes any kind of failure.  We seem to both agree that they have been a top 3 team over the past 5 years.  I will sign up for that over the next five years also.  Because that will give them a chance to win the Super Bowl every one of those years.

We do agree that they have been a top 3 team, we don’t agree who deserves the lion’s share of that credit.

I just think BB has some fatal flaws that will ultimately cost us in the end.