Broncos/Raiders Nix/Penix - I think this could be the play

If Nabors is still on the board at 12 or 13 I think this would be the move to make.

It can happen if a few things occur. All 4 QBs are taken by pick 11 with the Giants beating out Minnesota for McCarthy. Then Bowers is a top 10 pick by Jets and Chargers take OT instead of WR.  Titans will go OT or CB. This leaves the Bears with the choice of Nabors or Odunze.  Minnesota already has two good WRs and probably goes OL or DB.

Lots of assumptions there but all are reasonable.  My biggest concern is the Chargers and what Harbaugh will do. I think he gets an OT to protect Herbert In a deep WR draft and gets a WR in round two.

Both Denver and Raiders need a QB but both Nix and Penix should be still available at 28. Nobody else in between really needs a QB. Maybe Pittsburgh but don't see them taking a QB. 

Denver and Raiders are both in need of roster overhaul and needs picks.

#28, # 60 and next years #1 should be enough to get to 12 or 13. This leaves two seconds for next year.

Flame away...

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s just a hunch but I think McCarthy is this year’s guy who’ll be sitting (head in hands) in the green room all night long on Thursday.

I would agree if there weren't so many QB needy teams.  If nothing else, someone will try to trade up to get that 5th year option on him.  I see Nix going late first round as well  Penix is the one I could see falling to Day 2

Arizona would be crazy not to trade down and let someone overpay for McCarthy.  They would get a very valuable asset in return and still get a top WR. Same may gor for Chargers. If they are ok with an OT they can drop a few spots say a swap with the Bears. Bears get a WR to go with Williams and Chargers still get an OT. 

So much intrigue with all these QBs at the top. And I think at least one team will reach for another QB in the first round. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/charles-davis-2024-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-pats-select-j-j-mccarthy-at-no-3-vikings-*****-drake-maye

Davis has Nix and Penix going 12 and 13. He has Chargers taking OT but Giants passing on a QB(see what I did there) and taking Nabors. 

I still see Nix and Penix going to these two teams but not at 12 and 13

9 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If Nabors is still on the board at 12 or 13 I think this would be the move to make.

It can happen if a few things occur. All 4 QBs are taken by pick 11 with the Giants beating out Minnesota for McCarthy. Then Bowers is a top 10 pick by Jets and Chargers take OT instead of WR.  Titans will go OT or CB. This leaves the Bears with the choice of Nabors or Odunze.  Minnesota already has two good WRs and probably goes OL or DB.

Lots of assumptions there but all are reasonable.  My biggest concern is the Chargers and what Harbaugh will do. I think he gets an OT to protect Herbert In a deep WR draft and gets a WR in round two.

Both Denver and Raiders need a QB but both Nix and Penix should be still available at 28. Nobody else in between really needs a QB. Maybe Pittsburgh but don't see them taking a QB. 

Denver and Raiders are both in need of roster overhaul and needs picks.

#28, # 60 and next years #1 should be enough to get to 12 or 13. This leaves two seconds for next year.

Flame away...

Not bad,but I'm not giving up #60 period 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s just a hunch but I think McCarthy is this year’s guy who’ll be sitting (head in hands) in the green room all night long on Thursday.

Granted I’ve only see him play a few quarters, but I shocked he’s not a round 6 flyer. Michigan refused to let him throw.  And he runs like a middle schooler wearing his big brothers shoes and ankle weights. 

11 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Granted I’ve only see him play a few quarters, but I shocked he’s not a round 6 flyer. Michigan refused to let him throw.  And he runs like a middle schooler wearing his big brothers shoes and ankle weights. 

He's giving teams Tom Brady vibes. That's the only explanation. 

there are a lot of WRs getting big money who were not drafted in the top 10-see St Brown, Diggs etc. 

I feel Beane panics in rd 1 more than not, swings for a boom/bust in rd 2 and then settles in and picks good football players.

i'd love to see him just let the board come to him and pick best available in rd 1 and not reach/panic like the Elam pick

12 hours ago, peterpan said:

On Chris Simms’s show, he had someone on saying that there is a huge divide between casual college football fans who tend to think some version of what you say here and actual NFL teams’ views on McCarthy. Simms pointed out that he’ll come in to the league with one of the strongest arms (he clocked 61 mph at the combine, which is truly elite). He also was by far and away the top rated passer in major college ball on 3rd/4th downs over the past two seasons, which is a key analytics stat for teams. They were a run-first team so he was never really asked to throw that much, but teams apparently think quite highly of him.

Edited by dave mcbride

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

On Chris Simms’s show, he had someone on saying that there is a huge divide between casual college football fans who tend to think some version of what you say here and actual NFL teams’ views on McCarthy. Simms pointed out that he’ll come in to the league with one of the strongest arms (he clocked 61 mph at the combine, which is truly elite). He also was by far and away the top rated passer in major college ball on 3rd/4th downs over the past two seasons, which is a key analytics stat for teams. They were a run-first team so he was never really asked to throw that much, but teams apparently think quite highly of him.

Good let some team make a mistake on him. If he was that elite Harbaugh would have thrown the ball more. I'm going to guess many of those third down throws were manageable distances where there was still a threat of the run. That doesn't happen in the NFL. Anything longer than 3rd and 2 in the NFL and teams are throwing and the defense knows you are throwing it.