La'al Collins signs for the Bills

On 4/4/2024 at 3:46 PM, MAJBobby said:

Greg Tompsett should 100% know better than this.

Always wait for the numbers, and now they're here

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lael-collins-17403/

$1.75M, of which $1.5M ($1.21M salary plus $290k signing bonus) is fully guaranteed.

He has per-game roster bonuses and workout bonuses, but that "up to" must be plenty of incentives.

No, he's not the new starting LG or new starting anything. 

On 4/9/2024 at 6:40 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

The reported deal was "up to 6.25m" for 1 year. "Up to" surely implying the most he could get with incentives, maybe with void years. But considering he shouldn't be paid anything *close* to 6.25m - there's some curiosity on what the actual base number is.

And now we know.

Edited by Beck Water

On 4/4/2024 at 4:38 PM, Billy Claude said:

I know it is "up to" 6.5 million but doesn't that mean he will at least get a long look at starting?

No.  He'll be given a chance to compete, but he would have to wow everyone or (avert) there would have to be an injury.

He's not just a "camp body" as some suggested, though, because they did fully guarantee $1.5M salary + signing bonus - suggesting they are considering him as a backup they would want to keep.

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

No.  He'll be given a chance to compete, but he would have to wow everyone or (avert) there would have to be an injury.

He's not just a "camp body" as some suggested, though, because they did fully guarantee $1.5M salary + signing bonus - suggesting they are considering him as a backup they would want to keep.

Yes, I over-reacted to the up to 6.5 M.   I had expected the guaranteed money to be closer to 3.5M to 4 M similar to the ratio of gauranteed to incentives that Rapp got.

5 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Yes, I over-reacted to the up to 6.5 M.   I had expected the guaranteed money to be closer to 3.5M to 4 M similar to the ratio of gauranteed to incentives that Rapp got.

The difference is, Rapp played hard (maybe too hard) for the Bills last season - he filled a role they have every reason to think he can fill this season.  And of course, his guaranteed money is spread across the 3 seasons he's signed for, so if the Bills decide they want to keep him he's "locked in" at a very reasonable rate.

La'el Collins on the other hand started last season on PUP and spent the rest on a practice squad; he hasn't played a snap since he tore his ACL and MCL at the end of 2022.  He needs to prove he can suit up and play.

It's not that Beane doesn't make mistakes - he does - and one can question whether McDermott and Beane's overall team building philosophy is correct.  But contrary to what some here believe, they didn't build a team that has gone to the playoffs the last 5 years and the AFC Championship once, by being totally foolish.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/12/2024 at 8:09 PM, Beck Water said:

Greg Tompsett should 100% know better than this.

Always wait for the numbers, and now they're here

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lael-collins-17403/

$1.75M, of which $1.5M ($1.21M salary plus $290k signing bonus) is fully guaranteed.

He has per-game roster bonuses and workout bonuses, but that "up to" must be plenty of incentives.

No, he's not the new starting LG or new starting anything. 

And now we know.

That coupled with cover 1s take all off season that there was no way the Bills could afford to trade or cut Diggs. 

Sal Cappaccio was very much in the same boat this offseason. Dismissed any mention of the murmurs that the Bills might be open to moving off Diggs. Then post trade, he's kind of acted like he was surprised but did leave the door open to it being possible, which isn't true at all.

I have no issue with people having a take that turns out to be completely wrong, but just own up to it, and say you got it wrong. Don't try to bend what you've been saying all offseason to minimize how wrong you were

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Estro said:

That coupled with cover 1s take all off season that there was no way the Bills could afford to trade or cut Diggs. 

Sal Cappaccio was very much in the same boat this offseason. Dismissed any mention of the murmurs that the Bills might be open to moving off Diggs. Then post trade, he's kind of acted like he was surprised but did leave the door open to it being possible, which isn't true at all.

I have no issue with people having a take that turns out to be completely wrong, but just own up to it, and say you got it wrong. Don't try to bend what you've been saying all offseason to minimize how wrong you were

To be fair i don’t think anyone was expecting the Bills to trade Diggs over the financials.  People are wrong sometimes.  It’s ok 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

To be fair i don’t think anyone was expecting the Bills to trade Diggs over the financials.  People are wrong sometimes.  It’s ok 

100% agree its totally OK to be wrong. The part about no one expecting Diggs to be moved is wrong though. There was plenty of smoke. Enough for me to make a post on March 16th that Michael Lombardi was hinting the Bills would love to trade Diggs, and predicting he wouldnt be a Bill this coming season.

14 hours ago, Estro said:

Shill Capaccio is the worst about that stuff.  

14 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

What rock were you under all offseason?   Everyone outside of Buffalo thought the Bills were trying to move Diggs.   The Bills give the local media exactly ZERO insight into what they are doing/thinking.