NFL considering adopting XFL kickoff rules

PromoTheRobot

I think the NFL should either do something like this to make the kickoff game an actual big deal, or just get rid of kickoffs entirely and have each team start at the 25 (which is essentially what is currently happening in the league). As currently constructed, kickoffs are just a waste of time. The XFL kickoff is cool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm all for player safety but the kickoff has become less of a key play in football as a result of the recent rule changes. For me, there are far too many touchbacks and the onside kick is almost non-existent in terms of the kicking team having success in obtaining possession. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree with much of what you say, they only thing I'm skeptical about is the "4th and 25" as an option. With the way officiating has been I would hate to see some ticky tack PI, some no call on an obvious PI or one of those ridiculous "toss it short and force the DPI" plays having a factor. 

In theory it works. Picking up 4th and 25 is likely the same odds of recovering an inside kick. Just too many ways the "human element" comes into play for my own comfort.

My problem with that idea (besides the fact that special teams are fun and cool) is that it just gives even more priority to having a top-tier passing offense.  The run game is already heavily devalued as it is; I don't think we need more rule changes to devalue it further.

Bottom line for me:  If you want all passing all the time, and super high scores, we already have the Arena League for that.  I don't mind watching AFL once in a while, but it's like an overly sweet dessert.  A couple bites are nice, but I'm not having a bowl of Skittles for dinner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I think the NFL should either do something like this to make the kickoff game an actual big deal, or just get rid of kickoffs entirely and have each team start at the 25 (which is essentially what is currently happening in the league). As currently constructed, kickoffs are just a waste of time. The XFL kickoff is cool.

I remember going to games when opening kickoff was exciting...everyone standing, screaming...now it's nothing. They need to bring that back. Players are going to get injured regardless of the rules

22 hours ago, Sweats said:

I hate kicking in every general way to begin with......punting, FG's, kick-offs, whatever.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they removed every aspect of kicking from the game altogether, but i guess they have to include some sort of "foot" in football.

What are we going to call the sport, RPO ball? ,  it’s the uncertainty of those kicking plays that helps create excitement in the game,  that and we have all watched our vaunted starters Fuh k up coverages and in effect let the opponent make big plays or  score TDs, happens in every game…, it’s not just the scrubs on special teams, 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.