Tasker & Chris Brown on Bills CB’s for 2024

45 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And in turn you're halting his development as an ascending Starter by replacing him. That would be the tossing aside you're saying you didn't say.

Not being the starter isn’t tossing aside but if that’s how you want to see it ok, who gives a damn about halting development ? They drafted Elam 5 rounds earlier and had no problem “tossing him aside” to get the best player on the field.

If you believe Benford has earned unquestionable starter status then we just disagree, I appreciate you.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

A couple weeks ago I noticed that Tasker on 550 and some other media close to the Bills started pushing the narrative that the team “had to get younger”. I took that to mean that the team was going to move on from some of the bigger names. This was the team’s way of preparing the fan base for it so there’s be less of a backlash or uproar. This would fit. 

The defense is set for rebuild. Everyone hoping for heavy offense aren’t really paying attention to the roster. Yes they will draft WR but expect most of the draft picks to be defense. 

They will build the defense around Oliver, Rousseau, Bernard, and Benford. Milano and Johnson I believe get extensions and stick around into their 30’s. DaQuan Jones I think gets re-signed also and will be part of the new over 30 club with Milano and Johnson.

Edge is a position of concern moving forward on defense. I don’t know exactly what they do there. It would be nice to hit on someone in the draft to pair with Rousseau. I know fans are tired of drafting edge in the 1st-2nd but it’s a premier position of need for the Bills. Now and the future.

Im not too worried about safety because they aren’t very expensive in free agency if we need to go that route.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tasker knows something to say that. Douglas is the perfect candidate to switch to safety. Packers actually talked about doing it.

Sign Douglas to an extension and then switch him to safety. Sign Douglas to maybe a 2 year extension around $20-25 million

I highly doubt it. 

As someone who frequently watches One Bills Live - Tasker does more talking out of his butt than he does making sense. I spend way more time thinking "what the hell is he talking about?" than I do thinking "this guy's cooking". He's also CONSTANLY mixing up players names. And Brandon Beane isn't talking trade secrets with him.

It makes no sense that Douglas would choose to take Safety money this close to his next Contract, when he's set to cash in on Starting CB money. Nor are we paying a Safety Starting CB money to play Safety.

It makes even less sense to take our best healthy CB and move him to a lesser position and then take a guy who couldn't even beat out Dane Jackson last season for Outside CB #3 and start him at the more important position.

Literally nothing about this makes sense and like I said, Tasker is a complete buffoon on the air.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I highly doubt it. 

As someone who frequently watches One Bills Live - Tasker does more talking out of his butt than he does making sense. He's also CONSTANLY mixing up players names. And Brandon Beane isn't talking trade secrets with him.

It makes no sense that Benford would choose to take Safety money this close to his next Contract, when he's set to cash in on Starting CB money. Nor are we paying a Safety Starting CB money to play Safety.

It makes even less sense to take our best healthy CB and move him to a lesser position and then take a guy who couldn't even beat out Dane Jackson last season for Outside CB #3 and start him at the more important position.

Literally nothing about this makes sense and like I said, Tasker is a complete buffoon on the air.

Benford isn’t moving. Douglas is 30 with 1 year left. Extension could be similar to what he’s making now. If the Bills are trying to play more man in 2024 it makes sense.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Benford isn’t moving. Douglas is 30 with 1 year left. Extension could be similar to what he’s making now. If the Bills are trying to play more man in 2024 it makes sense.

Benford absolutely isn't moving either.

But I see no possible way he's going to sign an extension as a Safety when he's set to either be paid more than he's being paid now as a Starting CB here or a Starting CB elsewhere.

His agent would laugh in our faces if we offered him Safety money and say "come back to us with Starting CB money or we'll get it elsewhere next year".

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Benford absolutely isn't moving either.

But I see no possible way he's going to sign an extension as a Safety when he's set to either be paid more than he's being paid now as a Starting CB here or a Starting CB elsewhere.

His agent would laugh in our faces if we offered him Safety money and say "come back to us with Starting CB money or we'll get it elsewhere next year".

You’re getting names mixed up. 

Douglas is 30 next season with a year remaining. The extension I suggested for Douglas was 2 years $25 million. Thats in line with what good 30 year old CB’s get. 

So he’s not getting low balled. Safety is an important position on the Bills and Douglas could slide into Hyde’s role. Douglas is more of a zone CB. Bills look to want to switch to more man.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tasker knows something to say that. Douglas is the perfect candidate to switch to safety. Packers actually talked about doing it.

Sign Douglas to an extension and then switch him to safety. Sign Douglas to maybe a 2 year extension around $20-25 million.

Why would we do this whenever he is one of our best cornerbacks

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re getting names mixed up. 

Douglas is 30 next season with a year remaining. The extension I suggested for Douglas was 2 years $25 million. Thats in line with what good 30 year old CB’s get. 

So he’s not getting low balled. Safety is an important position on the Bills and Douglas could slide into Hyde’s role. Douglas is more of a zone CB. Bills look to want to switch to more man.

Yeah, I see the confusion. I accidentally wrote Benford instead of Douglas on that one post. I meant Douglas.

The result is the same though. He may be turning 30. But he doesn't have the usage and wear and tear of a standard 30 year old CB. He was a late bloomer who's stepped into his own as a high performing CB in just the last few seasons. 

He's playing his best Football now. As a Starting CB. He's our best CB right now. We wouldn't move our #1 CB come Week 1 to Safety, a lesser position that pays less, to move our #4 Outside CB last season to Starting CB.

And I can't disagree with you more that he couldn't do better than what we'd offer him as a Safety elsewhere next season.  You don't move CB's who are performing at a high level to Safety. No agent would accept Safety money for a CB who can make good CB money elsewhere in a year. That's Agent malpractice. This scenario would have him at the very least, testing the market next season rather signing an extension this season.

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, I see the confusion. I accidentally wrote Benford instead of Douglas on that one post. I meant Douglas.

The result is the same though. He may be turning 30. But he doesn't have the usage and wear and tear of a standard 30 year old CB. He was a late bloomer who's stepped into his own as a high performing CB in just the last few seasons. 

He's playing his best Football now. As a Starting CB. He's our best CB right now. We wouldn't move our #1 CB come Week 1 to Safety, a lesser position that pays less, to move our #4 Outside CB last season to starter. And I can't disagree with you more that he couldn't do better than what we'd offer him as a Safety elsewhere next season.

Why do people care where Douglas plays? He’d likely be the new Hyde. Hyde lines up at multiple positions during games. 

Douglas wouldn’t be coming off the field in this scenario. 

Elam is a starting CB. He needs to play. He’s our number 4 CB because the Bills have had 4 starting boundary CBs. They need to play their 1st round pick. They didn’t draft him to be depth. He has elite #1 CB ability. He’s a man CB. 

• Dislike 1

Tasker is just wrong. Douglas is the best corner on the team. He is a lock for the #1 corner job.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Tre White, though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Tasker is just wrong. Douglas is the best corner on the team. He is a lock for the #1 corner job.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Tre White, though.

I think safety is one of the most important positions on a McDermott defense. I’m sliding Douglas right into Hyde’s spot.

A lot of chatter about redoing White’s contract to lower salary and cap with an extension. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why? Because they spent a 1st round pick on a CB that is good and needs to play. And Douglas is 30 with position flexibility and we want him on the field.

Elum in no way has shown that he can man that position in this defense

Now it’s everybody’s hope that he does improve because he is a bill, but we know for fact that Douglas can man it

Personally, I could see Elam getting traded

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, julian said:

If that’s true, an upgrade is needed. 

I don't think so.  Douglas and Benford are good. Benford played really well the second half of the year. His injury for the playoff game was a big factor in the defense not being good enough. He just wasn't himself.

But yeah, depending who's still on the roster, we might definitely need some new depth guys.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why? Because they spent a 1st round pick on a CB that is good and needs to play. And Douglas is 30 with position flexibility and we want him on the field.

Elam is good? Where's the proof?

Elam needs to play? No, no he doesn't.

Hopefully he plays well enough in the off-season that they can't keep him off the field. But if he doesn't, he absolutely does not need to play. What he needs to do, he needs to earn the right to play.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is really strange to me.  Douglas is an impact player and made a big difference for us.  Saying Elam and Benford are more athletic and therefore will start? Odd.

Douglas should be viewed as CB1 and let Benford and Elam compete for CB2.

I guess they also assumed Tre will no longer be with the team

Oh, I don't see anything wrong with this. I don't agree with him.

But he's saying he thinks the two younger guys get better and take Douglas' job. I disagree, but for two young guys to take a big leap in their third years is possible.

Big enough to take Douglas' job? I disagree, myself, but he's got a right to his opinion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.