Dynasty League Talk

Logic

Anyone else in a dynasty league (or several)?

I just joined one three seasons ago, and loved it so much I joined another. I absolutely love the roster building and roster management aspects of it. I also love that it goes all year round and there really is no offseason. It's fun to scout and draft rookies every year, to be able to trade picks, to manage FAAB money for waivers, etc.. I have come to vastly prefer it to re-draft leagues.

My only complaint is that in both leagues I'm in, my fellow owners aren't very active. Lack of response to trade requests, lack of activity on waivers. Lame. For a dynasty league to thrive and be fun, there has to be lots of activity. If I put DeVon Achane on the trade block in one league and Ken Walker on the trade block in another (which I did), and neither move responds in even a single trade inquiry after a week...it's not an active enough league.

I just want to be in a league with other fantasy football sicko addicts and degenerate gamblers who are as obsessed as me and often think up trade offers us they're drifting off to sleep at night. Is that too much to ask? 😂

Anyway...just venting and trying to see if there are any other dynasty league addicts on this forum.

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

Anyone else in a dynasty league (or several)?

I just joined one three seasons ago, and loved it so much I joined another. I absolutely love the roster building and roster management aspects of it. I also love that it goes all year round and there really is no offseason. It's fun to scout and draft rookies every year, to be able to trade picks, to manage FAAB money for waivers, etc.. I have come to vastly prefer it to re-draft leagues.

My only complaint is that in both leagues I'm in, my fellow owners aren't very active. Lack of response to trade requests, lack of activity on waivers. Lame. For a dynasty league to thrive and be fun, there has to be lots of activity. If I put DeVon Achane on the trade block in one league and Ken Walker on the trade block in another (which I did), and neither move responds in even a single trade inquiry after a week...it's not an active enough league.

I just want to be in a league with other fantasy football sicko addicts and degenerate gamblers who are as obsessed as me and often think up trade offers us they're drifting off to sleep at night. Is that too much to ask? 😂

Anyway...just venting and trying to see if there are any other dynasty league addicts on this forum.

I was in a dynasty league for several

years. It was an auction league, with a cap and the ability to sign players to long-term deals.

To your point, it is only fun if the owners are all very engaged. It helped that we all knew each other, and so there was a lot of trade talk over phone and email. 

I enjoyed it, but I became too busy and decided that I couldn’t commit the time. 

Are you playing on a specific site? 

• Like (+1) 1

Yep, I'm in way too many Dynasty leagues. Been playing this version of FF for several years. Liked it so much, I've also bought into 2 Devy leagues in the past 2 seasons. I find Devy gives me an edge in Dynasty Rookie drafts as I have researched the players sooner and longer. May or may not be true but I THINK it is! 😄 

I know what you mean about activity. However, I'm in 2 leagues where one GM constantly sends out offers, most are pretty awful. but I still need to look. 

I always try to respond to trades with a short explanation. If I can start a dialogue, I find that we can sometimes negotiate a win/win deal. So many GMs just want to steal your best players like you're an idiot. 

Edited by Tony P
  • Like (+1) 2

I am in one now, it's pretty active and fun. It's the slow point of the season so not much is happening other than busting each other's balls here and there. I shared the title for 1st place in the first season. I say shared because the championship week I was facing another guy who was ahead of me by like 10 points or something and no more players playing left, whereas I had Burrow-Higgins and McPherson still to play and it was against the Bills. The first Bengals drive fo the game got me like 7 points. The second drive got me another 2 points and then in the middle of the drive, the Hamlin incident happened. There was very little doubt I was going to smoke this guy and outright win the title but because the game was stopped and never replayed, I "lost". The league voted on what should happen with the other guy's blessing, and it was voted to pool 1st and 2nd place money and split the pool between the two of us.

Last year was a dud for me, starting with not drafting WR Punca in the first 3-4 rounds. I had him written down as a guy to take in the draft between rounds 2-3, but I was short on RB's and TE's so I went heavy on them in the draft. Lo and behold Punca would been a beast for my team. My claim to fame this year was falling ass-backward into the playoffs as the last seed and knocking off the #1 seed in the first round of the playoffs. Boy was he piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed lol.

But like Miyagi-do said, I am not sure I can commit the time for a third year unfortunately, life is so busy right now I just cannot keep up.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

...because the game was stopped and never replayed, I "lost". The league voted on what should happen with the other guy's blessing, and it was voted to pool 1st and 2nd place money and split the pool between the two of us...

Very fair outcome for an unprecedented situation IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Are you playing on a specific site? 

It's on the Sleeper app. Not an auction league. Just a Dynasty league, where you keep your whole team year to year and draft rookies each year. 12 teams, non-superflex, one extra flex spot. Fairly deep bench. I love it.

50 minutes ago, Tony P said:

I always try to respond to trades with a short explanation. If I can start a dialogue, I find that we can sometimes negotiate a win/win deal. So many GMs just want to steal your best players like you're an idiot. 

Same. I try to at least give some kind of reasoning for declining, unless it's a downright insulting offer. I try to always make my trade offers at least reasonable and fair. I'm not "offer you a 3rd round pick for Ja'Marr Chase" guy, but I definitely have a few of those guys in my league.

39 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I shared the title for 1st place in the first season. I say shared because the championship week I was facing another guy who was ahead of me by like 10 points or something and no more players playing left, whereas I had Burrow-Higgins and McPherson still to play and it was against the Bills. The first Bengals drive fo the game got me like 7 points. The second drive got me another 2 points and then in the middle of the drive, the Hamlin incident happened. There was very little doubt I was going to smoke this guy and outright win the title but because the game was stopped and never replayed, I "lost". The league voted on what should happen with the other guy's blessing, and it was voted to pool 1st and 2nd place money and split the pool between the two of us.

Last year was a dud for me, starting with not drafting WR Punca in the first 3-4 rounds.

I was actually in the exact same situation that year, regarding the Bills/Bengals situation and how it affected the finals. The other fellow and I settled on the following: We split the prize pot down the middle. But we both wanted to determine a proper "league champion", so the commish manually deleted any points from Bengals/Bills players for that week, then we used the player outputs by those players from the FOLLOWING weeks' game, and edited those point totals into the matchup. It resulted in my opponent winning the matchup (which he quite likely would have anyway, had the Bills/Bengals game been played), but we split the prize money, so I didn't mind too much. What a weird situation that was.

As for Puka: He went undrafted in both my dynasty leagues. I signed him off waivers for ZERO FAAB dollars (!!), which is just amazing. A top five dynasty WR, totally free on waivers. And boy did I need that juice added to my roster! Also managed to get him off waivers before week 1 in my home redraft league, and he (along with Tyreek and CeeDee) made me unstoppable and won me the year.

I'm about to start my second year of a dynasty, I made our playoffs last year as put a strong starting cast but injuries hurt me when lost Tank Dell and Rhamondre Stevenson went down late. I have some good younger/inexperienced backups. I made a few moves that in retrospect may have been a mistake. Specifically cutting Tyson Chandler in the early part of the season when looks like he was getting buried on the depth chart.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm about to start my second year of a dynasty, I made our playoffs last year as put a strong starting cast but injuries hurt me when lost Tank Dell and Rhamondre Stevenson went down late. I have some good younger/inexperienced backups. I made a few moves that in retrospect may have been a mistake. Specifically cutting Tyson Chandler in the early part of the season when looks like he was getting buried on the depth chart.

One thing I've learned about dynasty is that if you're an active owner, you're going to have hits and misses -- sometimes BIG misses -- and you can't beat yourself up for it or let it stop you from making future moves.

Year one (2021 season) I traded Darnell Mooney and Jerry Jeudy for Tee Higgins and Amon-Ra St. Brown. A HUGE win for me.

I wasn't a believer in St Brown's rookie success being sustainable, so I flipped him for a 1st round pick, which ended up being Skyy Moore, who I thought would take over as WR1 for Tyreek Hill in KC. St Brown for Skyy Moore? A HUGE miss for me.

Ya win some, ya lose some. Just gotta do your best to learn from past mistakes and to keep trusting your gut and taking swings.

Edited by Logic

My friends and I started our own dynasty league this past season. Everyone thought I was going to waltz to the championship after our inaugural draft and I ended up not even making the playoffs so that was a tough pill to swallow lol. Think I was #2 in the league in points by a wide margin but that was mostly because I was doubling everyone's scores the first 5 weeks or so before it all came crashing down.

A few teams tanked to embarrassing degrees to try to secure the top picks in the draft. I'm excited to see how the first offseason plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

My friends and I started our own dynasty league this past season. Everyone thought I was going to waltz to the championship after our inaugural draft and I ended up not even making the playoffs so that was a tough pill to swallow lol. Think I was #2 in the league in points by a wide margin but that was mostly because I was doubling everyone's scores the first 5 weeks or so before it all came crashing down.

A few teams tanked to embarrassing degrees to try to secure the top picks in the draft. I'm excited to see how the first offseason plays out.

Out of curiosity: When you say "tanked to an embarrassing degree"...does your league have certain rules in place about that? Like a requirement to start players who are actually active, and to set your best possible lineup (within reason, since no one knows for sure), so that, for instance, someone's not allowed to start Zach Wilson over Patrick Mahomes, that kind of thing?

Obviously, one of the cool things about dynasty is that teams CAN tank and collect picks and build for the future. But I feel like there have to be guardrails in place. If you want to tank, do it the right way: Strip your roster down by trading away assets for future picks.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Out of curiosity: When you say "tanked to an embarrassing degree"...does your league have certain rules in place about that? Like a requirement to start players who are actually active, and to set your best possible lineup (within reason, since no one knows for sure), so that, for instance, someone's not allowed to start Zach Wilson over Patrick Mahomes, that kind of thing?

Obviously, one of the cool things about dynasty is that teams CAN tank and collect picks and build for the future. But I feel like there have to be guardrails in place. If you want to tank, do it the right way: Strip your roster down by trading away assets for future picks.

The draft order is determined by optimal points or whatever it's called (meaning if Mahomes is on the bench and outscores Zach Wilson, it's Mahomes' score that factors into the draft order). I just mean they were trading basically any of their players that had a pulse for draft picks to make sure their talent level was low/they had a lot of picks to work with in the rookie draft.

We're playing on League Tycoon where you have a limited amount of multi-year contracts to give out on top of the salary cap and stuff and also have a practice squad for rookie draft picks where they don't count as much against the cap. So for example, the guys I have long-term right now are:

• Kyler Murray - 2 more seasons at $10 and $12
  • Keenan Allen - 2 more seasons at $13 and $15
  • Chris Olave - 2 more seasons at $29 and $34
  • Kirk Cousins - 1 more season at $19
  • George Pickens - 2 more seasons at $7 and $9
  • Tyler Lockett - 1 more season at $7
  • Drake London - 3 more seasons at $11, $13, and $15
  • And I have $104 to spend in our draft

And guys that were only on 1 year deals:

• David Montgomery (unfortunately the guy that originally got him gave him a 1 year deal but it was a gigantic bargain)
  • Tony Pollard
  • Patrick Mahomes
  • James Conner
  • Deebo Samuel
  • Aaron Jones
  • and a few other less notable guys

The guy that ended up with the first pick in the rookie draft has Aaron Rodgers, Bryce Young, Breece Hall, Najee Harris, Garrett Wilson, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Marvin Mims, Sky Moore, and $49 in cap space for the draft (and his rookie picks alone will cost $30 if they all go on his active roster, so needless to say, he's going to have some serious maneuvering to do). Another guy has Trevor Lawrence, Jamarr Chase, Davante Adams, Jahmyr Gibbs, Austin Ekeler, and Zach Charbonnet but he can't bid more than $1 for anyone in the auction this offseason lol.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The draft order is determined by optimal points or whatever it's called (meaning if Mahomes is on the bench and outscores Zach Wilson, it's Mahomes' score that factors into the draft order). I just mean they were trading basically any of their players that had a pulse for draft picks to make sure their talent level was low/they had a lot of picks to work with in the rookie draft.

We're playing on League Tycoon where you have a limited amount of multi-year contracts to give out on top of the salary cap and stuff and also have a practice squad for rookie draft picks where they don't count as much against the cap. So for example, the guys I have long-term right now are:

• Kyler Murray - 2 more seasons at $10 and $12
  • Keenan Allen - 2 more seasons at $13 and $15
  • Chris Olave - 2 more seasons at $29 and $34
  • Kirk Cousins - 1 more season at $19
  • George Pickens - 2 more seasons at $7 and $9
  • Tyler Lockett - 1 more season at $7
  • Drake London - 3 more seasons at $11, $13, and $15
  • And I have $104 to spend in our draft

And guys that were only on 1 year deals:

• David Montgomery (unfortunately the guy that originally got him gave him a 1 year deal but it was a gigantic bargain)
  • Tony Pollard
  • Patrick Mahomes
  • James Conner
  • Deebo Samuel
  • Aaron Jones
  • and a few other less notable guys

The guy that ended up with the first pick in the rookie draft has Aaron Rodgers, Bryce Young, Breece Hall, Najee Harris, Garrett Wilson, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Marvin Mims, Sky Moore, and $49 in cap space for the draft (and his rookie picks alone will cost $30 if they all go on his active roster, so needless to say, he's going to have some serious maneuvering to do). Another guy has Trevor Lawrence, Jamarr Chase, Davante Adams, Jahmyr Gibbs, Austin Ekeler, and Zach Charbonnet but he can't bid more than $1 for anyone in the auction this offseason lol.

Got it, thanks.

Yeah, I like determining the draft order that way. Seems like the best, fairest way to do it.

My league doesn't use salary cap or limited amounts of long term contracts or that kind of thing. Very interesting. I imagine that adds a whole other level of strategy to the game that makes it more akin to being a real life NFL GM. 

I am in a keeper league that’s going on a decade this year. It’s a .5 point ppr IDP league with three keepers (2 offense, 1 defense).

I would like to try a dynasty league but the people who I stay in closest contact with and would likely be the most fun are already in this keeper league. 

I generally do my main keeper, with a family league for fun. The main keeper keeps me plenty busy, as we included a weekly pay out system so you’re always gunning for so edge. It’s a decent amount of $$$ so activity is at a premium. That on top of my schedule, and the fact I don’t really like having to root for AND against my fantasy players if they are on different teams in different leagues….it scratches the itch well enough. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ve been running a 12 team keeper league for 33 years. When we started I had to calculate scores by hand from USA Today box scores. We still have 3 originals, but most of the league is now made up of my adult son and his friends.

We never wanted to do a full dynasty because we prefer to have diverse rosters from year to year. We have the option of keeping up to 2 players in exchange for your first 2 draft picks.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

I’ve been running a 12 team keeper league for 33 years. When we started I had to calculate scores by hand from USA Today box scores. We still have 3 originals, but most of the league is now made up of my adult son and his friends.

We never wanted to do a full dynasty because we prefer to have diverse rosters from year to year. We have the option of keeping up to 2 players in exchange for your first 2 draft picks.

33 years?!  That's crazy!

How many years out of 33 have you won the whole enchilada? 🤓

1 hour ago, Logic said:

33 years?!  That's crazy!

How many years out of 33 have you won the whole enchilada? 🤓

I’ve won 5 times, 3 years in a row in the late 90’s. My son has won 3 times including this season. We’re on our 2nd plaque that lists all the Super Bowl participants and scores.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.