Is it time to grow concerned about Greg Rousseau?

FireChans

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is not correct.   I think you are blending era's here.  Ted Washington played way more than 50% of the snaps as a Bill.   All the Bills DL starters played virtually every snap back then.   It was expected.  This heavy rotation stuff is relatively new.   Take 1997.........they only even rostered 6 DL.   All 3 starters played all 16 games and Marcellus Wiley was the only other one active for more than 10 games.   Shawn Price played in 10 and Jim Jeffcoat 7.

That is not my recollection. IIRC, Ted Washington played slightly more than half the snaps. Pat Williams played the other half. The only time Washington and Williams were on the field together was for "The Package." That formation was used only rarely.

3 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

That is not my recollection. IIRC, Ted Washington played slightly more than half the snaps. Pat Williams played the other half. The only time Washington and Williams were on the field together was for "The Package." That formation was used only rarely.

Yeah Pat Williams backed him up quite a bit in 1999 and 2000........which were Washington's 6th and 7th years with the team........but even then it wasn't 50%.    

4 hours ago, DJB said:

Needs to have an Oliver type breakout this year. 

Needs to Rush the passer more. Put von on the "other " side if he is just trying to set the edge again this year. Bills need the full on pass rusher Von once could turn on at will. Or some semblance of that

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Pat Williams backed him up quite a bit in 1999 and 2000........which were Washington's 6th and 7th years with the team........but even then it wasn't 50%.    

Back in the '90s, I remember reading an article about how it was just north of 50%. Perhaps my recollection of the article is mistaken. Maybe the author of the article was wrong. Or perhaps you are incorrect. Only way to be sure is to find some kind of link. I put a little time into that, but to no avail.

No. He's clearly in the top 20% at his position. Worry about players that aren't good, not the ones that are. Be honest.  You really only care about his sacks and you're discounting what he does well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Back in the '90s, I remember reading an article about how it was just north of 50%. Perhaps my recollection of the article is mistaken. Maybe the author of the article was wrong. Or perhaps you are incorrect. Only way to be sure is to find some kind of link. I put a little time into that, but to no avail.

Just look at the 1997 stats.......the Bills only had 4 DL who were even active for all 16 games and the 4th was DE Marcellus Wiley.    Ted Washington wasn't making 80 tackles from the NT spot with 50% of the snaps.    If you want to believe that, that's your prerogative.   But you are just mis-remembering.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
edited for simplicity
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just look at the 1997 stats.......the Bills only had 4 DL who were even active for all 16 games and the 4th was DE Marcellus Wiley.    Ted Washington wasn't making 80 tackles from the NT spot with 50% of the snaps.    If you want to believe that, that's your prerogative.   But you are just mis-remembering.   

In order to settle this, I found a couple links. The first is to Ted Washington's career stats. The second is to Pat Williams' career stats. Neither of these links give what we want most: the percentage of snaps each player played. But they provide a good consolation prize: the number of total tackles. Without better data, total tackles will have to serve as a reasonably good, but imperfect, proxy for time spent on the field.

In 1997, Washington had 80 total tackles. Williams didn't play.

1998: 49 total tackles for Washington. 12 for Williams.

1999: 45 total tackles for Washington, 32 for Williams.

2000: 58 total tackles for Washington, 55 for Williams.

In 1997, Washington seems to have taken all the snaps. It was an 80/20 split in 1998, and 60/40 in 1999. It was close to a 50/50 split in 2000. The article I read about Washington taking a little over half the snaps was likely written in 1999 or 2000. 

23 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Thank you!  Sacks always have and always will be the greatest contribution stat from your pass rusher.  It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see we have no pass rushers currently on our roster with the skillet to stop Mahomes. 

It shouldn't take a brain surgeon but in this paralysis by over-analysis era it seems to. Joe B will give Rousseau like an A+ grade for setting the edge or filling a run lane when Mahomes throws a 50 yard pass to Kelce with no pressure. 

PFF ranks him the 18th best player under 25. 

18. EDGE GREG ROUSSEAU, BUFFALO BILLS

Rousseau has steadily improved, going from a 73.1 PFF overall grade as a rookie to an 80.7 mark in 2022 to finally being the 13th-highest-graded edge defender in the league in 2023 (87.1). 

However, while Rousseau's production improved every season, he has yet to surpass 600 snaps in a regular season. The next step in his development will be keeping up the same production in an increased role.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

PFF ranks him the 18th best player under 25. 

18. EDGE GREG ROUSSEAU, BUFFALO BILLS

Rousseau has steadily improved, going from a 73.1 PFF overall grade as a rookie to an 80.7 mark in 2022 to finally being the 13th-highest-graded edge defender in the league in 2023 (87.1). 

However, while Rousseau's production improved every season, he has yet to surpass 600 snaps in a regular season. The next step in his development will be keeping up the same production in an increased role.

Yeah there was an edge defender list recently where they had Rousseau ranked VERY highly.  

I chose not to interject/link it because so many people hate PFF.

But PFF loves Rousseau.

And the reason is that he gets a lot of what qualifies as pressure while maintaining his responsibility in run defense/contain.

What fans see is that he hasn't been finishing enough plays.

That's what needs to happen for him to cross over from misunderstood to a star.

I suppose one could have said the same thing about Edmunds to some extent........but there was a large group of homers who went out of their way to promote a narrative about Tremaine that wasn't true(that he made it impossible for teams to throw over the middle when, in fact, teams were often throwing right at him).

• Like (+1) 1