Josh playing with Tiger today

Seventeen

On 2/14/2024 at 1:30 PM, jkeerie said:

NFL players deserve some down time.  I don't begrudge them playing some golf in the off season.  Plus...perhaps playing with Tiger he can receive some mental pointers regarding steadiness in the face of game adversity.  

After seeing the X post of Tiger somebody put up (page 3 in this thread), it sounds like JA was more concerned about getting golf technique tips rather than any "mental pointers." And just thinking about the latter, I'm not sure that topic would ever come up, nor would Tiger be able to impart anything to JA which would help, nor would JA even ask for help in that area. I mean, what could he possibly say to JA?....."You got to be more focused!" LOL  It's like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry asks George for advice on how to beat a lie detector test, and George replies, "It's like saying to Pavarotti, teach me to sing like you." LMAO

On 2/14/2024 at 1:25 PM, teef said:

as long as josh doesn't get all hopped up on goofballs and run his car into a ditch...it's all good.

I appreciate "The Simpsons" reference. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

This isn't the only reason, but it's one of a few that makes me think football just isn't as important to Allen as some people think it is. If he cares at all about winning a Super Bowl, I gotta believe there's something better he can be doing with his time. Has he already analyzed every flaw from 2023? Has he already put together a plan for improving and is actively working on those things? Has he focused on healing his injuries or is he playing through them ont he golf course? Has he already scouted every opponent for 2024 and has he put together plans for how he'll exploit them? Most importantly, has he put together a plan to beat Spags and the Chiefs next year and is he taking active steps there?

If he's doing all the work all day every day and steps out for a few hours to play a quick 18, I wouldn't think anything of it, but I don't think that's what this is based on what I see on Sundays. I think football is just a job that he's excellent at, and he really likes it, but it isn't his whole life the way it was for guys like Brady and Manning. Brady loves to golf too, but there was never any doubt that football was everything to him. Allen likes the lifestyle that football affords him where he gets to chase hollywood starlets and hang out at the country club. There's nothing wrong with that. My job is just a job, but I'm also not telling a legion of fans I'm trying to win Employee of the Year.

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

This isn't the only reason, but it's one of a few that makes me think football just isn't as important to Allen as some people think it is. If he cares at all about winning a Super Bowl, I gotta believe there's something better he can be doing with his time. Has he already analyzed every flaw from 2023? Has he already put together a plan for improving and is actively working on those things? Has he focused on healing his injuries or is he playing through them ont he golf course? Has he already scouted every opponent for 2024 and has he put together plans for how he'll exploit them? Most importantly, has he put together a plan to beat Spags and the Chiefs next year and is he taking active steps there?

If he's doing all the work all day every day and steps out for a few hours to play a quick 18, I wouldn't think anything of it, but I don't think that's what this is based on what I see on Sundays. I think football is just a job that he's excellent at, and he really likes it, but it isn't his whole life the way it was for guys like Brady and Manning. Brady loves to golf too, but there was never any doubt that football was everything to him. Allen likes the lifestyle that football affords him where he gets to chase hollywood starlets and hang out at the country club. There's nothing wrong with that. My job is just a job, but I'm also not telling a legion of fans I'm trying to win Employee of the Year.

Imo Josh Allen has felt like he arrived after 21. I think he wants to win badly, but it’s a lot harder to motivate yourself to work even harder when you feel like you’re at your peak

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Imo Josh Allen has felt like he arrived after 21. I think he wants to win badly, but it’s a lot harder to motivate yourself to work even harder when you feel like you’re at your peak

For sure. There's no doubt that diminishing returns make it really hard to motivate yourself to improve. When you're competing at an elite level though those razor thin margins are everything and if you wan to be Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt, you have to put in that 500% extra work for that 0.1% gain. Otherwise, you just end up being whoever the #2 guy is that no one remembers. Maybe that's ok with him deep down, and I kind of think it is, because at 27 you should know what you really want.

I think Josh would like to be a champion is it just happens with his current level of commitment. I don't think he's willing to do whatever it takes to overcome #15 though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

Tiger got carted off today for a covid/influenza like illness.  I just got over a weekend in bed from covid myself.  Not the worst but it sucked.  Hope both Josh and tiger fare about the same or better.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.