I done been skunked

Both dogs to the face. 

Washed them in the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap solution as best I could outside. Gated them off in one room with windows down and fans blowing. Unfortunately the stank is spreading. 2nd time it’s happened to us.  

Anyone else have this awful experience? 

32 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Both dogs to the face. 

Washed them in the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap solution as best I could outside. Gated them off in one room with windows down and fans blowing. Unfortunately the stank is spreading. 2nd time it’s happened to us.  

Are you somewhere you can leave them outside overnight and wash them again in the AM?

It might take a couple scrub-ups to tone down the stank and until you do that smell will permeate your house.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

No.  But tomato juice.

That's a myth.

It might cover up the smell somewhat for a little while but it won't do anything to break down the oils in the musk.

The solution he used is the only thing I know of that can start to do that.

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Are you somewhere you can leave them outside overnight and wash them again in the AM?

It might take a couple scrub-ups to tone down the stank and until you do that smell will permeate your house.

That's a myth.

It might cover up the smell somewhat for a little while but it won't do anything to break down the oils in the musk.

The solution he used is the only thing I know of that can start to do that.

Unfortunately the weather in western NY isn’t quite that balmy!

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Unfortunately the weather in western NY isn’t quite that balmy!

I was afraid that was the case.

If you have a garage, it would be a lot easier to air out than your house in February?

• Agree 1

When I lived in the Town of Colonie outside of Albany, the Skunk Capital of the Civilized World, in the 1990s, the tried and true solution was Scope mouthwash.  I cannot speak to its effectiveness as my German Shorthaired Pointer was way too smart to mess with skunks.

I had my dog at the UB Amherst campus one night and she disappeared briefly. It was very brief, but it was long enough. I never heard a ruckus, but we smelled her long before she got close to us. It was overwhelming! Like, a stink that could knock you over.

This was before we had all the world’s knowledge on a phone in our pocket, so we tried everything we could think of. My GF took my car and went for tomato juice, shampoo and anything else that might put a dent in the stench. We gave her a bath in one of the lakes, and all that seemed to happen was now the people smelled like skunk too. If there is anything out there  that works, we did not find it that night. 

14 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Both dogs to the face. 

Nope it's bad enough when smell it on the road. I can only imagine with the stank inside and that close to you. 

Funny thing is, this happened to me yesterday too, but when I first clicked on the thread, I thought you were talking about sports cards.

Fellow collectors know that "skunked" is the term used for getting 0 cards in a sports card break.

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Nope it's bad enough when smell it on the road. I can only imagine with the stank inside and that close to you. 

It’s like they got an entire paper mill inside that little creature to concentrate and weaponize him! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.