East - West Shrine Bowl 2024 Scouting

GunnerBill

Long-time members will know already but one of my draft season secrets is that I prefer the Shrine Game to the Senior Bowl. Why? Because I think it exposes you more to guys you would otherwise not have seen and because I think the Senior Bowl gets slightly overhyped. I will watch the Senior Bowl too, though probably not until tomorrow, but for now here are my takeaways from an entertaining Shrine Bowl on Thursday Night.

Starting on offense...

No other place to start but for Frank Gore Jnr (#3, Running Back, West) who had 6 rushes for 87 yards and a touchdown. It is an obvious thing to say but he is so reminiscent of his dad in the way he plays. He isn't fast, he isn't big, but he has great vision, fantastic feet and he always seems to fall forwards. Gore Snr went in round 3 of the draft way back in 2005 but I suspect a player of his type would be much more like a day three pick now and that is where I expect Gore Jnr to end up. But I won't be betting against him making a team and making an impact in the pros. Another name that might be familiar is Taulia Tagovailoa (#5, Quarterback, West) who originally followed his brother to Alabama before breaking records as the QB at Maryland. The younger Tagovailoa isn't as thick as his brother in terms of his frame but as a result looks a little faster and able to create with his feet when his first read isn't there. He was the best Quarterback on display by some distance but he is very much a system Quarterback who will need a heavy dose of RPO to succeed in the league but in the right offense could be a viable backup and I expect him to be drafted in the later rounds. The other standout on the west offense was another running back, Blake Watson (#22, Running Back, West) out of Memphis, who led his team in receiving, catching all six of this targets for 65 yards and adding 46 on the ground. He is a late day 3 / priority UDFA type but he could find a niche in the NFL as a receiving back. I liked his feel for space in being a checkdown option to his Quarterback and decisiveness with the ball in hand. The east offense had less success but there were a few guys that caught my eye. Dallin Holker (#5, Tight End, East) who transferred from BYU to Colorado State this year and had 767 yards and 6 touchdowns this past season was particularly impressive. Showed himself as a good safety blanket option for his quarterback, blocked willingly and demonstrated an ability to fight for the ball in contested catch scenarios (even if in the NFL replay may have overturned one of his catches). In a shallow tight end class he is probably a lock to get drafted and could even sneak into the middle rounds. A player I'll definitely be going back to the college film of. I also thought Christian Mahogany (#73, Guard, East) out of Boston College was the most impressive offensive lineman on display in a game where DLs probably had the better of it. Like his feet, really sound technically, proficient at re-directing rushers and able to sustain his blocks throughout the down without resorting to holding. Really liked him. It isn't the deepest interior offensive line group. Can see him going on day two. And finally, I suspect Anthony Gould (#2, Wide Receiver, East) probably ensured he got drafted with an impressive punt return touchdown. He has some form as a punt returner in his collegiate career at Oregon State and I suspect a team looking for some pop in the return game will now be willing to throw a late day 3 pick at him and give him a shot in camp and pre-season to earn a job. 

Onto defense...

I thought best defensive player on display was Grayson Murphy (#91, EDGE, West) out of UCLA who had two sacks. Not to be confused with his twin brother, Gabriel, who also played in the game and came into it with the slightly bigger reputation, Murphy showed bend off the edge and some explosion in his first step. He will need to improve his hand usage and I'll be interested in the arm length measurement when that comes at the combine, but definitely a draftable player on day 3 who can contribute early as a rotational pass rusher. Sticking with the Bruins I also came away impressed by Darius Muasau (#50, Linebacker, West) who looks and feels like a modern coverage linebacker. Fast and instinctual player who attacks the ball. But he also laid a couple of really nice hits on ball carriers and demonstrated good lane discipline in the run game. Question will be about where he fits in an NFL defense but this is a day 3 pick with the potential to end up an NFL starter. Jarius Malone (#32, Corner, West) out of Tulane, stole the headlines among the DBs with an interception in the second half and he looks like a possible late round zone corner who could compete for an NFL roster spot, but my eye was drawn to Tyler Owens (#28, Safety, West) out of Texas Tech who would count as a pretty deep sleeper and is probably a UDFA, but I liked his ability in coverage as a bigger safety and he made a nice pass breakup when asked to come down into the box and cover a slot receiver. Not too many 6'2 safeties you see do that. Definitely a name I'll be keeping an eye out for as the draft winds down. Finally a couple of mentions for the defensive line of the east team. I was both taken and disappointed with Mohammed Kamara (#58, EDGE, East) who showed some of the twitch and power he is renowned for but who I kind of hoped might really dominate on the back of a 14 sack season where he stood out for Colorado State but he didn't turn the flashes into plays. I still think an interesting day three pass rush prospect but as a smaller player who isn't going to hold up too well vs the run he will have to show more as a pass rusher to make an impact in the NFL. On the flip side David Ogwoegbu (#92, EDGE, East) out of Houston (but who spent his first four years at Oklahoma) did turn his flashes into plays with two tackles for loss in the run game and the East team's only sack. He is a bit of a tweener for me in that he started his college career at linebacker, moved onto the line but isn't twitchy or bend enough to play as a true edge and probably isn't big enough to be a starting defensive tackle but as someone who plays as an interior penetrator in sub packages I think he has a chance to make a team - although my gut instinct is he will have to do so as an UDFA because that lack of a true position will prevent him being drafted.

I hope at least a few of these guys go on to have decent NFL careers.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

• GunnerBill changed the title to East - West Shrine Bowl 2024 Scouting
24 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Eric Galko has done a really nice job bringing in enough talent these last few years that they are starting to rival the Senior Bowl for attention too. 

I don't love the games being so close. Used to be an opportunity when they were a week apart for the Senior Bowl to make late invitations to guys who showed put in the Shrine. Having them two days apart negates that sadly.

As there was no previous Shrine thread …I mentioned in the Senior Bowl thread that one guy who caught my eye during Shrine practice was Xavier Thomas - DE Clemson …

Going to follow his progress from here … He is 24 yr old already, and has had some injury … Probably would still need to be there Day 3 to take him … 

Never played in the game …

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

As there was no previous Shrine thread …I mentioned in the Senior Bowl thread that one guy who caught my eye during Shrine practice was Xavier Thomas - DE Clemson …

Going to follow his progress from here … He is 24 yr old already, and has had some injury … Probably would still need to be there Day 3 to take him … 

Yea he is a day 3 guy (most Shrine guys are tbh). But I like him some as a developmental pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

At age 24 it's fairly likely that he's close to a finished product.

Physically yea, I think there is some technical refinement that can still help him use his tools. But I don't think he is a starter. He just might get in the rotation somewhere though if he can tidy technique up.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Physically yea, I think there is some technical refinement that can still help him use his tools. But I don't think he is a starter. He just might get in the rotation somewhere though if he can tidy technique up.

This is what the Bills want right at Edge … rotational guys …surely they can get some of these guys in Day 3  rather then day 2…

Edited by Aussie Joe

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

This is what the Bills want right at Edge … rotational guys …surely they can get some of these guys in Day 3  rather then day 2…

Yea. I think they need 1 DL on day 2 ideally, but then they absolutely need to find guys who can contribute in the rotation on day 3. Whether that is at tackle or end.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Thomas was up there with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.........and ahead of Micah Parsons........as a top 5 overall 2018 recruit.

He looked as advertised as a freshman........like he'd play his 3 seasons and declare after the 2020 season.

Dude just mostly sucked the other 5 years of college.

Hilarious that he and his agent thought he was too big to play the actual game.  :lol: 

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Thomas was up there with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.........and ahead of Micah Parsons........as a top 5 overall 2018 recruit.

He looked as advertised as a freshman........like he'd play his 3 seasons and declare after the 2020 season.

Dude just mostly sucked the other 5 years of college.

Hilarious that he and his agent thought he was too big to play the actual game.  :lol: 

Yea I knew he was highly recruited. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.