Giants Request interview with Babich for DC job(EDIT: Packers and Dolphins as well)

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The Bills should promote this guy to DC in title and pay.  McD can still be involved and/or mentor him.  Seems like a rising star in the coaching ranks and the Bills should find a way to retain him, particularly while McD could stand to put more focus into his role as head coach.

My fear is that McDermott is such a control freak that he'll continue as DC even it means losing Babich to a rival. Or, alternately, Babich will leave even if offered the DC job here because he doesn't want to work under McDermott. 

How about offering Babich McDermott's job now and save all the heartache of the coming years? ☹️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The Bills should promote this guy to DC in title and pay.  McD can still be involved and/or mentor him.  Seems like a rising star in the coaching ranks and the Bills should find a way to retain him, particularly while McD could stand to put more focus into his role as head coach.

Seems like they could’ve headed off all of the interviews by doing so. Odd that they didn’t. 

5 minutes ago, finn said:

My fear is that McDermott is such a control freak that he'll continue as DC even it means losing Babich to a rival. Or, alternately, Babich will leave even if offered the DC job here because he doesn't want to work under McDermott. 

How about offering Babich McDermott's job now and save all the heartache of the coming years? ☹️

That’s probably an accurate answer to the question I just asked. 

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Seems like they could’ve headed off all of the interviews by doing so. Odd that they didn’t. 

Is it odd? Or the main character flaw of McD: his inability to form normal human relationships with talented people i.e. Diggs Daboll Frazier. As if having the uncomfortable conversations is just something he avoids. 

59 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Is it odd? Or the main character flaw of McD: his inability to form normal human relationships with talented people i.e. Diggs Daboll Frazier. As if having the uncomfortable conversations is just something he avoids. 

Right. An awkward head coach deterring talented people from sticking around, leaving no one to check his weaknesses, such as shutting down Allen as a runner, benching the star running back because he fumbled, and insisting on ball-control football instead of a scheme that suits the unicorn he has at QB. It's not entirely incontrovertible that he's not suited for head coach, but, if that's the case, by the time it is incontrovertible, it'll be too late. 

It's very risky to change head coaches. But you hate to look back and realize that's what they should have done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

It does not seem to be his forte 

I don't see a reason why McDermott would give up his DC position, I thought he did an outstanding job with even guys who basically came off the couch. When you're a team who makes it to the playoffs every year unfortunately you're going to lose people. Unless McDermott can't handle both jobs at once I'd hope he'd again be our DC, the only thing holding us back this past year was injuries imo. Anyone who takes over will be running a version of McDermotts defense in some way, shape or form so I'd rather it just be the man himself imo.

Maybe I am giving McDermott too much credit, but perhaps a Babich was the plan. Maybe he wanted to model how he wants things done for Babich, who had never seen Sean call plays. Maybe it was a 1 year idea to reset expectations of the defensive staff to what the HC truly wants and kind of wipe away the Frazier influence. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.