(OT) Central Air question

Thinking about installing central air in our house. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what I should expect to pay. I have heard that Bryant is a good company to consider. Anyways, our house is very small, approx 1500 sq ft. Our currant furnace is approx 29 years old, so I would assume some modifications would have to be made, thats if we dont have to replace it. Also, some of our duct work has asbestos tape on it, not sure if that has to be removed, or just covered.

Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, we live in Syracuse.

Thanks

I already had central air & got mine replaced with a new unit this year. I have a 1170 square ft ranch. They replaced the unit, lines to the house, and the top area of the furnace. Total cost $2495-no tax since it's a capital improvement. My duct work & ac/furnace coordination already existed.

I'm in Rochester. You will need to replace your furnace. A 25 YO furnace is not efficient, and you'll save money by replacing it. We replaced our 20 year old furnace 3 years ago, and we saved $$ on heating. We did get a very good furnace, though.

At the same time we installed central air. We used crossfield here in Rochester, and got Trane equipment.

We paid almost $6K for very good equipment.

I have a 1400 sq ft cape. Hey I have a 45 year old Chrysler furnace gas forced air!! So I can expect to pay $5-6m for a combination furnace/air unit. What are the better brand names, and dependable? Lastly, my 2nd floor has always been warmer in the summer. I do have a lot of insulation, ridge and eave vents. How can you get more air directed upstairs? Are there like auxiliary fans to install in the 2nd floor ductwork? Or what's the best idea?

Maybe 5-10 years ago the gas company was offering no interest loan assistance to upgrade heating systems to something more efficient, to conserve gas usage. They came to my house, checked out the furnace, and said it was TOO efficient to qualify. 43 yr old Chrysler!! When's the last time Chrysler made a furnace? Just before they made mini-vans? LOL

They do make these very nice individual room units that can go into a corner, and all you have to do is drill a small hole for a tube that runs to a compressor outside. You can run 2-3 units of one compressor. My father-in-law decided to add A/C to his place but had no ducts. This proved to be a less invasive, easier, and cost-effective option. I think Fujitsu makes those units.

PTR

Remember, a Trane may be a very good product, but you will pay alot more due to their (extensive) advertizing costs.

Amana makes a pretty good product for the price. Also, Lennox will cost you a bit more, but its a pretty good product. You will find Trane is even more expensive than Lennox, and im not sure Lennox doesnt make the superior product. I would stay away from Carrier. I havent heard much good about them in recent years. I have a 7 YO carrier unit, and it already needs replacement. Many people I know are having similar problems with carrier units.

Bottom Line...If you are planning on moving in the next 3-5 years, a Carrier or Amana will suffice.

If you are planning on staying Long-Term, go with Lennox or Trane.

If you need/want to save some cash, but plan on staying Long-Term go with amana. I think the warranty is shorter, but its not a bad product.

There are many other brands out there. Your best bet is to find a good dealer who carries all brands. Ask around at work, someone has replaced a unit. A Good dealer/contractor makes all the difference.

If you need no ductwork, and no asbestos removal, probably somewhere in the 5-6k range.  If you need to install ductwork, push that number up to 9-10k.  Asbestos removal...dont know about that...

355893[/snapback]

I think I need to send a thank you note to the guy who installed ours. A friend of the family, he charged us $1200 for a new unit. I don't know what brand it is, but I think it has a 10 year warranty on it. Sounds like he gave us a good deal.