Cover 1 - Joe Brady 4 Strong Formation

Scott7975

55 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

yeah i miss those plays too

That play, the jet sweep, the plays that defenses could not adapt to because we moved everything so fast then the next play took 3 seconds to have Josh roll out and then another 3 seconds to have him throw across the field to a wide open receiver. 

That speed and unexpected play made things difficult 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

The thing I would disagree on here is the bubble screen thing actually did work.  Josh just took too long to come off Diggs and didn't see Davis wide ass open streaking to the end zone.  If he came off Diggs a half second sooner then that was an easy TD instead of incomplete to Kincaid who was covered tight.  Also Buffalo scored 14 points in the second half of the Eagles game and it should have been 17 if not for the missed FG.

If you rewatch that play, Allen basically takes NO drop-back…it was designed as just a quick hit to Diggs.   When Josh realized that play was going to be blown up , to his credit he knew he couldn’t the scan the field and find an open receiver.   instead he  just quickly reset and threw deeper and to the outside for Kincaid.  

• Like (+1) 1

Keep in mind when grading Brady he is running an offense with below average personnel. Diggs has been playing more like a WR2 than WR1 over the past 3 games. Davis like a WR4. All the other WRs are JAGs. Kincaid has been very good but still just a rookie. If anyone is expecting us to pass the ball at will against talented defenses, that is not a reasonable expectation.

My one criticism of Brady from the Chiefs game is the same criticism I've had of several OCs in a row now - he inexplicably stopped committing to the run, specifically with Cook, in the 2nd half. Cook was our best skill player in the 1st half and we just took him off the field. I find that with many coaches it's the really simple stuff they mess up more than the complicated stuff. But Brady did a better job committing to the run in the previous two games so hopefully Chiefs 2nd half was just an anomaly for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I think Brady has done good work with this offense.  Every week I am getting closer to thinking Brady is IT.  A good week against the Cowboys and I am there.  This is some good stuff here.  Its only 4 plays but really good stuff and it shows Brady throwing a wrinkle to get a look you want after a defense adjusted to the same basic play earlier.

I’m very disappointed in the offense vs. the chefs. Off a bye, two starters missing from the chef D and the chefs offense struggling and all we can get is two TDs?

C’mon….

He had those plays to cook and that was it after two weeks to prepare. The screens to Johnson and Diggs absolutely sucked and that was it from the O. 

3 hours ago, Chuck Schick said:

If you rewatch that play, Allen basically takes NO drop-back…it was designed as just a quick hit to Diggs.   When Josh realized that play was going to be blown up , to his credit he knew he couldn’t the scan the field and find an open receiver.   instead he  just quickly reset and threw deeper and to the outside for Kincaid.  

Yeah, thats how I viewed it and commented it on another thread.  The play was to Diggs.  Allen sees Diggs is going to get blown up so doesn't throw it.  I think Allen stuck on Diggs a little long trying to get that to work and by the time he came off, due to the pressure, he just threw it at Kincaid hoping for a play or it just goes oob like it did.  If Allen did come off him sooner he would have seen Davis going through the rest of reads with time IMO.

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I’m very disappointed in the offense vs. the chefs. Off a bye, two starters missing from the chef D and the chefs offense struggling and all we can get is two TDs?

C’mon….

He had those plays to cook and that was it after two weeks to prepare. The screens to Johnson and Diggs absolutely sucked and that was it from the O. 

I am disappointed that he didn't have an answer for the pressure but even down a couple players, that is one of the best D's in the league.  IIRC they got an important piece back for our game too.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, thats how I viewed it and commented it on another thread.  The play was to Diggs.  Allen sees Diggs is going to get blown up so doesn't throw it.  I think Allen stuck on Diggs a little long trying to get that to work and by the time he came off, due to the pressure, he just threw it at Kincaid hoping for a play or it just goes oob like it did.  If Allen did come off him sooner he would have seen Davis going through the rest of reads with time IMO.

I am disappointed that he didn't have an answer for the pressure but even down a couple players, that is one of the best D's in the league.  IIRC they got an important piece back for our game too.

I agree that the chefs have a great defense, it has always been very good. It was the defense that brought them back (more than the O) vs. SF in the Super Bowl. The Bills have no one even close to Chris Jones and they struck gold with McDuffie whereas we know little about Kaiir Elam yet. Probably never will be as good as McDuffie but I really liked the way he looked last year. There’s something wrong with his game though, losing out to Benford.

Having said that we’re supposed to have a great offense. It sure didn’t look like it at all vs. the chefs. Maybe Brady made James Cook look like a great player but that was it…. The whole line had trouble after having two great outings vs. the eggles and jests….

the Receivers (while we can’t see on tv) seemed covered or Josh was mainly locking onto his first read? IDK? But it was very poor.

i really thought we were in position to at least cover the spread vs. the chefs and we didn’t and it wasn’t pretty at all….

Brady may be OK, but I don’t think he has shown to be the definite answer. I don’t think the Bills are attacking the middle of the field enough. Short, medium and long. We keep running these hideous plays to the short outside. Just really ugly plays…. Why was Ty Johnson given a look? Talk about pedestrian. But it was the play calls anyway as our good player (Diggs) could do nothing more than Johnson, just ugly plays.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.