Gabe Davis- Do you want him back and for how much $

NewEra

Do you want to resign Gabe Davis- If so, how much should we pay him?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Gabe Davis back? If so, for how much $?

• No- I don’t want him back- I’m over him.
    • Yes- but as a WR3-5 and under 5M aav
    • Yes- He’s an average WR2- I’d pay him 5-9M aav
    • Yes- He’s a good WR2- I’d pay him 9m+ aav

On 12/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, Mikie2times said:

image.thumb.png.3d74cdc68fe34f8df440c343a2682e0d.png

This is how I see it. Orange, I would take over Gabe.

Green, is basically two #1's.

Red, these teams just don't have legitimate WR cores and they're bad teams. We could say, sure, see, Gabe is better than these, but being better than the worst isn't how we become better.

Gabe has an average depth of target and catch% as a result of his ADOT that is among the worst in football. It makes him a one trick pony. If we had the other ingredients like a big body possession WR with a very low ADOT perhaps his profile would balance it out. But we don't have that. Keeping Gabe has prevented us from developing a WR core that is more diverse. It's a big part of what leads to our inconsistency. Perhaps another team will pay for Gabe's skill set. That shouldn't be our concern, he is unquestionably holding us back by being slotted in as a starter which has prevented us from upgrading.    

This kinda put into perspective how relatively good he is compared to most WR2s for me. I think I'd probably only take 10 of the other WR2s you listed over Davis.

At any rate, we need to start cutting costs somewhere and this might be one of the places that we unfortunately do. If we can bring him back on a bargain contract, I'd gladly take him (and while I think he COULD get a big contract, I think there's also serious risk that a lot of free agent WRs, himself included, end up stuck with a disappointing contract due to how strong the draft is and how many good free agent WRs there will likely be this offseason).

I want to go WR in Round 1 or 2 if at all possible in the draft and hopefully give us another option, but having Gabe as a cheap #3 would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well. Monday’s game will decide it. If KS shows his stuff well, he will likely be our #2 going forward. 
Cap issues are front and center. Unless Gabe takes a homer, which I personally wouldn’t, we’ll go with the 3rd rookie contract. 

Edited by Brian Higgins hair

15 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

Well. Monday’s game will decide it. If KS shows his stuff well, he will likely be our #2 going forward. 
Cap issues are front and center. Unless Gabe takes a homer, which I personally wouldn’t, we’ll go with the 3rd rookie contract. 

You think??  Seems KS is a better slot guy than a #2.  I can see it being like it was 3 or 4 years ago.  Beasley was the slot guy, not the #2, but had more receptions and many more targets than the #2 WR.

That brings up what do you do with Davis.  I'd like to see him brought back mainly for his blocking abilities assuming he takes a number representative of what he's done.  I would then draft a true WR in the 1st or 2nd round.  Think that would especially help if replacing the #2 WR with a rookie, when need blocking, bring in Davis and even early in year let Davis play more

Davis is then the $4 WR or moves up in case on injury to someone.  I'd also then look to sign someone who's a good return guy to take Hardy's place, maybe it's Hines on a cheaper deal, that would allow the Bills to then release both Hardy and Shefeld   WR group is then Diggs, rookie, KS, Davis, Shorter, and maybe someone like an Isabella as a PS callup when needed or they sign someone else too.

We need a #2 who can take the top off of defenses, Diggs is our #1, #2 should be a speed merchant, slot should be a great possession receiver with great awareness of field positions and the line to gain.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:28 AM, Buffaloflash said:

Whatever money Harty, Dotson and Sherfield gets, give it up to keep Gabe.

50% of Gabe's problem is Josh. And, the rest is on him. All our receivers are having a problem holding on to the ball this year.

That post most certainly didn't age well.🫢

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.