Daboll having tension with a coach in NY too

Einstein

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

And finally for those who see a problem with McDermott in the assistant turnover he's had over his 7 year tenure as HC, there's this:

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/1/9/24031619/giants-coaching-staff-mess-is-brian-dabolls-to-clean-up-and-he-better

I thought it was actually genius, and a good sign, that Daboll hired both an OC and a DC he had no known previous working relationships with.  Bring in new blood and fresh ideas.  But maybe there were other reasons.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It's not genius when you have very little time to course correct in the NFL typically if you have no idea what type of relationship you'll have with a person or how your personalities will clash. It's kind of dumb honestly.

There is a reason why coaches typically hire those they are familiar with. Too much is riding on the decision to leave that much to chance.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Saquon you can make reasoning for as he was their whole offensive success. Daniel Jones’ contract though? Man. What on earth were they thinking???

Him getting a top 5 contract at that position should have immediately led to some serious scrutiny or termination but the “he has potential, he just needs time to be coached correctly in a system he’s familiar with” quips flew around. The guy can be a QB in the league but you’re only going to get a lower tier guy who’s very pedestrian. 

I think they should have been thinking of a new QB from the start of their regime.  And to position themselves I thought they were going to do an in-season trade of Barkley to get more ammo and to get them out of being a team that pays big to RBs.   Then in the draft get the best rated QB they could.

That plan seemed dropped because of the early wins that season, a short term boost but mid to long term problem.  IMO, they are suffering the consequences now.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Daboll was made by Josh.  He'll be fired midway through next season.

Yeah-I don’t think your wrong - I remember when he first got to Buffalo his offensive background wasn’t stellar- I do think he helped Josh be a better QB and got him into the groove of the game- he game planned towards JA strength for sure - pretty obvious him and McDermott are just from opposite sides of the tracks though

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So why is all the focus on Daboll? What about JOE SCHOEN??!?!? Clearly there are a lot of personnel issues that must be addressed, and starting castoff Bills players clearly wasn't the way to succeed in 2024. If he goes with Daniel Jones as the starter this upcoming season as he has talked about, he may be on the hot seat as well. Players see guys like Stroud, Levis and to some extent Richardson ball out and must wonder why Jones is still the guy...

Daboll likely has a ton of input into the personnel decisions.  He also probably lobbied hard to give that stupid contract to Jones.  And since Jones' $35.5M salary is fully guaranteed, he's not going anywhere.  But the worst part is that the best QB prospects, and there aren't a ton to begin with, will be gone within the first 3 picks.  Unless they get lucky and find a gem.

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree it's the pair Daboll and Schoen.  It seems their early fluky success had them deviate from the plan they were part of with the Bills. 

The Bills made the playoffs in a fluke fashion but then cut the QB and refused to pay big money for an RB (Shady).  The same thing needed to be done in NY - D Jones was not the answer and paying Barkley big money would be a mistake in this day and age.  And yet that's exactly what they did.

The problem is that Daboll got the job largely because of the part people thought he had in making Josh a great QB and thought he could do the same with Jones.  But Jones was always going to be what he had already shown and sticking with him, much less giving him that deal, was dumb.  And developing Jones, or the lack thereof, is on Daboll.

3 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

Yeah-I don’t think your wrong - I remember when he first got to Buffalo his offensive background wasn’t stellar- I do think he helped Josh be a better QB and got him into the groove of the game- he game planned towards JA strength for sure - pretty obvious him and McDermott are just from opposite sides of the tracks though

He certainly helped Josh but the main reason Josh is great is because of Josh and the work he put in to better his throwing mechanics.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Daboll was made by Josh.  He'll be fired midway through next season.

Daboll’s record with the Giants is in line with his record with every other team he has coached with. The difference is Allen. 

Not only did Allen make Daboll, while Daboll got all the credit (remember “Nice throw by Allen, credit to Brian Daboll” non-stop in 2020/2021). 

But Daboll would run Allen into the ground in 2021 with over-creative plays and QB sweeps. I’ll never forget a designed QB run against the Bucs two plays after Allen came up hurt. Even Romo said something about it. 

Glad the universal karma is balancing things out finally. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

He certainly helped Josh but the main reason Josh is great is because of Josh and the work he put in to better his throwing mechanics.

I will never dispute that- JA17 does put time in and has always been his biggest critic 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.