Would McDermott Ever Hire a Defensive Coordinator?

BuffaloBaumer

I have a gut feeling that Washington is essentially our defensive coordinator.  McDermott is running cover while bringing the rookie coordinator up to speed. Could you imagine the discussions this week if he was our coordinator by name?

Yes, he will, almost assuredly hire one, as he looks stressed by the dual role he now plays and realizes it is untenable if he is to be a great head coach.

He will likely hire the same guy who coached the defense to be one of the best (#1?) in the NFL in points allowed under his tenure and molded one of the most consistently excellent defenses in the NFL, Frazier.  We need him back, a DC whose teams held onto leads, consistently.

Kind of a 'duh', I think.

I think the answer is in front of everyone's face but no one wants to believe it.  They all want to believe Frazier was fired.  I believe Frazier when he continues to say he felt the need to take a year off.  I think McD didn't hire anyone so that he could let Frazier come back.  You can't just hire a coach for one season.  I mean, you could but it would be a jerk move.  I don't expect people to agree with me, but this is what I believe.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

McD isn’t hiring a defensive coordinator, unless he gets a HC job else where. If he were fired today, the only teams that would consider him for their HC would be losers looking to mould their franchise in the form of the 2018-2022 Buffalo Bills, but unless they have a franchise QB he won’t have the same success as he had in Buffalo. 

McDermott is in his way out, not hiring more crap assistants. Pegula isn’t blind, he knows McD’s defense has blown game after game after JA17 gifts him lead after lead. 

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think the answer is in front of everyone's face but no one wants to believe it.  They all want to believe Frazier was fired.  I believe Frazier when he continues to say he felt the need to take a year off.  I think McD didn't hire anyone so that he could let Frazier come back.  You can't just hire a coach for one season.  I mean, you could but it would be a jerk move.  I don't expect people to agree with me, but this is what I believe.  

I’d like an “interesting” emoji for posts like this. I appreciate the speculation. It makes sense, and that worries me. A lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Martindale is going to be out in NY…that’s the type of guy I’d love to see here. Then maybe he can create an alt look at defense and maybe combine thoughts with McDermott to create something interesting. There is pretty much no chance it happens but that might be the one way im good with keeping McDermott. If it’s a different defense 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.