Mike Johnson, New Speaker of the House.

B-Man

24 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Gee, I wonder?

Johnson's actions have highlighted the GOP's questionable tactics regarding concerns over the national debt. Depriving the IRS of funding needed to curtail tax evasion by the rich won't decrease the debt, it will only amplify it.

Well, big picture, it seems to me one political party (and it's supporters) only cares about the national debt when the other party is in charge of the spending.   It's a political talking point, sadly, nothing more or less. 

On supporting Israel, there were 12 democrats who supported the bill, so while I'd likely disagree with many positions there, you have to admire the guys it takes to take a stand when anti-Israeli sentiment is building amongst the left. 

I understand the desire to position an aid bill for a nation in need as somehow not about the needs of that nation, it's a cold and cynical world.  It just seems the best course of action for all stakeholders involved to address the critical need now, and work out the other details as time permits. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, big picture, it seems to me one political party (and it's supporters) only cares about the national debt when the other party is in charge of the spending.   It's a political talking point, sadly, nothing more or less. 

On supporting Israel, there were 12 democrats who supported the bill, so while I'd likely disagree with many positions there, you have to admire the guys it takes to take a stand when anti-Israeli sentiment is building amongst the left. 

I understand the desire to position an aid bill for a nation in need as somehow not about the needs of that nation, it's a cold and cynical world.  It just seems the best course of action for all stakeholders involved to address the critical need now, and work out the other details as time permits. 

Only one party is playing games... and prioritizing the 1% over support for Israel.

Just now, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

at this point Im waiting for one of the DEM house members to try to present a bill to give emergency funds to Palestine (HAMAS would get it)

27 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Only one party is playing games... and prioritizing the 1% over support for Israel.

The party prioritizing politics over aid to Israel is yours, BillSy. Don't get distracted by the shiny objects that they point to--virtually everyone you support is a 1% and it's no coincidence that suddenly (as if by magic) this is a problem.  

I should have inquired--do you support the aid for Israel as outlined?  

32 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

at this point Im waiting for one of the DEM house members to try to present a bill to give emergency funds to Palestine (HAMAS would get it)

It would not surprise me to see any number of dems preferring to decline aid to Israel entirely. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The party prioritizing politics over aid to Israel is yours, BillSy. Don't get distracted by the shiny objects that they point to--virtually everyone you support is a 1% and it's no coincidence that suddenly (as if by magic) this is a problem.  

No problem with the aid but only one party is playing games - and that’s yours.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It would not surprise me to see any number of dems preferring to decline aid to Israel entirely. 

The package the house passed for Israeli aid, had only 10 dem supporters.

all the rest let it be known with that vote,  and were mostly dems.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:22 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Your characterizations on what @sherpa believes or doesn't is best addressed by Sherpa, though I see nothing in his response(s) to reach the conclusion you have reached. My observation is that you're too closed-minded to consider his response rationally, and too determined to jump to the invariably dopey conclusions you reach to learn anything here.   It just seems to be who you choose to be. 

I'm very concerned about your observations.

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

194 democrats and 2 republicans voting against aid for Israel.  Wow.  

(That’s how we do this, correct?)

Democrats suggest same amount of money to Israel.

Add that it be paid for by taking money away from billionaires in taxes.

Trumpers say nay.

Trumpers anti-Israel?

Spare me your incessant bullshiit. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Another stupid, unrelated post.

I was posting regarding LCDR Wade McClusky, a South Buffalo native, who, through amazing leadership combined with a bit of serendipity, led to the destruction of the Japanese carriers in the battle.

As Nimitz said:

"McClusky's decision to continue the search for the enemy and his judgment as to where the enemy might be found, "decided the fate of our carrier task force and our forces at Midway."

His actions turned the tide of the Pacific war. Japan was never offensive again. That was the point of my post.

In that post about McClusky, I stated that four Japanese carriers were destroyed in ten minutes. Actually three were. The fourth was attacked but not sunk until a few hours later. 

I did, and do know the facts. It was a mistake I made by being less careful than I usually am, and in a hurry.

If stating that four were sunk when actually the fourth was not sunk until a few hours later caused emotional discomfort, I apologize.

You, on the other hand completely butchered a post where you ha d:

the wrong guy.....Not just the wrong guy but mistaking two of the most famous people in that faith ever.

the foolish claim they were Roman citizens, which absolutely were not.

the idiotic claim that the Romans assisted the spread of what was called at the time "The Way," when they eventually imprisoned tortured and killed those people.

Normally, at this point I would post a particularly accusatory ending, pointing out your wackiness, but I no longer care to point out what is grossly obvious.

lol, You know, if you said the dog ate your home work it would of sounded better than I was too lazy to change it! 

No, I corrected your work. I mean, you being who you say you are you should just have know how that battle went down. Your ignorance is a BIG tell. 

Catfish? 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

lol, You know, if you said the dog ate your home work it would of sounded better than I was too lazy to change it! 

No, I corrected your work. I mean, you being who you say you are you should just have know how that battle went down. Your ignorance is a BIG tell. 

Catfish? 

Another laughable post.

By the way, as you claim you "corrected" my post, are you aware that you screwed up the accusation?

I had to point it out to you, as your memory was grossly false.

Get that?

Your original accusation was false, and I had to remind you.

You are a waste of time. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Another laughable post.

By the way, as you claim you "corrected" my post, are you aware that you screwed up the accusation?

I had to point it out to you, as your memory was grossly false.

Get that?

Your original accusation was false, and I had to remind you.

You are a waste of time. 

I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up when it tries to call others ignorant.

11 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up when it tries to call others ignorant.

Kind of interesting when he couldn't even remember what he was claiming, and had to be told.

The individual is a goof.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Democrats suggest same amount of money to Israel.

Add that it be paid for by taking money away from billionaires in taxes.

Trumpers say nay.

Trumpers anti-Israel?

Spare me your incessant bullshiit. 

You're asking me to spare you after you reached out to me?  What a strange duck. 

Billionaires pay taxes.   Multi-millionaires pay taxes.  They pay them based on the tax laws, rules and regulations put in place by the people we elect to hold office.  Those folks--BushBidenRomneyObamaPelosiSchumerMcConnelletc--do exactly the same, using the law to hold on to every bit of wealth that they can.   It takes 30 seconds and a google search to find some of the most vocal proponents of grievance politics living amazingly high on the hog, while you're down here spewing the company line about "billionaires". 

Look, politicians sell grievance politics because gullible people lap it up.  The theory that somehow, someway in our 247th year as a nation the very economic fate of our nation comes down to whether or not aid to Israel is stand-alone or chunked into this bill is silly.  

Let's get the aid and move on.  Maybe a guy like you has to pretend it's not for Israel.  Write your congressperson!

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

did you see oread any dissenters comments on the vote?  i haven't but suspect some want more humanitarian concessions from Israel and some even want a 2 state solution.  Blinken called it absolutely imperative today.......

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You're asking me to spare you after you reached out to me?  What a strange duck. 

Billionaires pay taxes.   Multi-millionaires pay taxes.  They pay them based on the tax laws, rules and regulations put in place by the people we elect to hold office.  Those folks--BushBidenRomneyObamaPelosiSchumerMcConnelletc--do exactly the same, using the law to hold on to every bit of wealth that they can.   It takes 30 seconds and a google search to find some of the most vocal proponents of grievance politics living amazingly high on the hog, while you're down here spewing the company line about "billionaires". 

Look, politicians sell grievance politics because gullible people lap it up.  The theory that somehow, someway in our 247th year as a nation the very economic fate of our nation comes down to whether or not aid to Israel is stand-alone or chunked into this bill is silly.  

Let's get the aid and move on.  Maybe a guy like you has to pretend it's not for Israel.  Write your congressperson!

so you're not outraged when you or I pay a significantly higher percentage of our income in taxes than billionaires do?  btw schumer is no 1%er.  didn't look up the others.  It takes $10 million to join that club:  https://www.opensecrets.org/personal-finances/charles-schumer/net-worth?cid=N00001093#:~:text=with an estimated net worth of %241%2C122%2C521 in 2018.

Biden is in the 1%.  but no where near the wealth of a billionaire...

P resident Biden is worth an estimated $10 million, up from $8 million when he took office. The increase has nothing to do with family business dealings in far-flung countries. Instead, he is getting richer by doing what a lot of 80-year-old Americans are doing: sitting on real estate.Aug 17, 2023

source:  Forbes

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

42 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

did you see oread any dissenters comments on the vote?  i haven't but suspect some want more humanitarian concessions from Israel and some even want a 2 state solution.  Blinken called it absolutely imperative today.......

so you're not outraged when you or I pay a significantly higher percentage of our income in taxes than billionaires do?  btw schumer is no 1%er.  didn't look up the others.  It takes $10 million to join that club:  https://www.opensecrets.org/personal-finances/charles-schumer/net-worth?cid=N00001093#:~:text=with an estimated net worth of %241%2C122%2C521 in 2018.

Biden is in the 1%.  but no where near the wealth of a billionaire...

P resident Biden is worth an estimated $10 million, up from $8 million when he took office. The increase has nothing to do with family business dealings in far-flung countries. Instead, he is getting richer by doing what a lot of 80-year-old Americans are doing: sitting on real estate.Aug 17, 2023

source:  Forbes

https://www.caclubindia.com/wealth/chuck-schumer-net-worth/

One of us has bad data. Based on the preponderance of links estimating Schumer’s net worth being between 70-80M, I say it’s you. 

• Agree 1