Why I’m changing my mind on some things

oldmanfan

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'm almost there with the OP, but we had similar mini-skids in the previous three seasons, and managed to turn it around (okay, 2022 is debatable) and string together a bunch of wins.  In some respects, this game played out similarly to the comeback/loss against Tampa in 2021.  I think we won our next 5 games after that one.  For whatever reason, we seem to have one of these patches every season that includes poor performances against objectively "bad" teams.  

If Dorsey has half a brain, I think the offense will figure out its problems, and I was encouraged by the increased usage of Kincaid in the passing game.  He's a real weapon and needs to supplant Knox in snap count ASAP.  My biggest concern is the defensive injuries.  We absolutely can not afford to lose Oliver for a prolonged period of time, because he's the last functioning patch in an already leaky dam of an interior line.  Bernard is a nice player, but he needs good interior D-line play to be effective. 

Last year we kept waiting for the "get right" game and it never happened. Only difference is we were winning games.

This year, I am not expect that to change. We will continue to struggle unless something of significance changes. That needs to come from Josh, Dorsey or McD.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The bad throw on the pick the first drive.  Overthrowing Diggs.  Missing Davis in the back of the end zone.

I don’t get you two.  People have acknowledged the defense stunk.  People are rightfully critical of Dorsey and McD.  But Josh also makes mistakes as good as he is, but you refuse to see it.  Why?

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The bad throw on the pick the first drive.  Overthrowing Diggs.  Missing Davis in the back of the end zone.

I don’t get you two.  People have acknowledged the defense stunk.  People are rightfully critical of Dorsey and McD.  But Josh also makes mistakes as good as he is, but you refuse to see it.  Why?

Okay, you want to complain about the pick on his first throw, fine , the Diggs overthrow was 70 yds in the air, running for his life and the Davis miss he was putting it where only Davis could get it avoiding a turnover. How about the 50 yd laser that Diggs dropped on the last drive with 12seconds left. How many QBs make that throw that would have resulted in 47 yd attempt to tie the game. How about the 2 surgical drives for TDs and the conversion when we needed it most. You’re complaining about 3 throws with this guy. DoesMahomes overthrow open guys? Does Hurts throw bad interceptions(at Jets) Does Burrow look like crap for games at a time. You neglected to mention Josh had shoulder issues that would have shelved guys(Watson) for a few games. When you say he’s missing something, it’s the NFL. With QBs, they will make mistake but does this guy put us in a position to win mostly?

44 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Okay, you want to complain about the pick on his first throw, fine , the Diggs overthrow was 70 yds in the air, running for his life and the Davis miss he was putting it where only Davis could get it avoiding a turnover. How about the 50 yd laser that Diggs dropped on the last drive with 12seconds left. How many QBs make that throw that would have resulted in 47 yd attempt to tie the game. How about the 2 surgical drives for TDs and the conversion when we needed it most. You’re complaining about 3 throws with this guy. DoesMahomes overthrow open guys? Does Hurts throw bad interceptions(at Jets) Does Burrow look like crap for games at a time. You neglected to mention Josh had shoulder issues that would have shelved guys(Watson) for a few games. When you say he’s missing something, it’s the NFL. With QBs, they will make mistake but does this guy put us in a position to win mostly?

I’m going to say this one more time.  We all love Josh.  But he is not infallible and is not immune from criticism.  Just like Mahomes can be criticized if he plays bad.  Or Burrows.  Or Hurts..  Or Diggs.  Or whomever.  

Does Josh put the team in position to win?  Yes.  And sometimes, rarely but sometimes, no.  Like the Jets game.  And the first half to first three quarters of the last three games.  It is clear things are not going well on offense.  Anyone with a shrewd of objectivity can see that.  He is the QB, and as such he has responsibility for some of that.  He is a great QB but he is not a saint.  Quit making him out as such.

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m going to say this one more time.  We all love Josh.  But he is not infallible and is not immune from criticism.  Just like Mahomes can be criticized if he plays bad.  Or Burrows.  Or Hurts..  Or Diggs.  Or whomever.  

Does Josh put the team in position to win?  Yes.  And sometimes, rarely but sometimes, no.  Like the Jets game.  And the first half to first three quarters of the last three games.  It is clear things are not going well on offense.  Anyone with a shrewd of objectivity can see that.  He is the QB, and as such he has responsibility for some of that.  He is a great QB but he is not a saint.  Quit making him out as such.

What is your obsession with these anti-Josh comments? First it’s 3 bad throws, then you go back to the slow starts but you admit that he put us in a position to win. No he’s perfect, but he’s one of the best QBs in football and with the profound weaknesses on this team and it’s coaching staff, why come out and say there’s something going on with our all-pro QB. Let’s leave it there.

23 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

What is your obsession with these anti-Josh comments? First it’s 3 bad throws, then you go back to the slow starts but you admit that he put us in a position to win. No he’s perfect, but he’s one of the best QBs in football and with the profound weaknesses on this team and it’s coaching staff, why come out and say there’s something going on with our all-pro QB. Let’s leave it there.

I come out and say it because it seems obvious something is going on.  He says he has to be better.  Why doubt him when he says that?

There is not one member of the team and coaching staff that can say they’re doing their best right now.  Everyone needs to step it up.  And that includes the guy that plays the most important position.

Look at your comments.  You are blasting coaches and other players when they make mistakes, but when Josh does he gets a pass.  It doesn’t work like that.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes the D sucked.  Where was the offense the first 3 quarters?  The first half the last several games?  The offense is not playing well and the QB is a big part of that.  We all love Josh but he is not infallible.

Do you accept the way the offense has been playing?  And again go back and actually read what is written.  It is not knee jerk.

On the field. Get used to it. Teams are playing us tougher. That's why we have 60 minutes in every game - or rather, 4 quarters. Yes, the first 3 quarters were slow on O but again, we took the lead BY SCORING. Our D can't ever hold their end.

I agree that our O is slow right now but you can't tell me that by scoring roughly 25 points per game we shouldn't be winning. Unreal. Our D has been wimpy since McD came. 

My suspicion would be that Josh Allen and Ken Dorsey are not on the same page, and it eats him up because he advocated for Dorsey. But he probably knows that he made a big mistake flexing and pushing forward a guy with little-to-no experience implementing an offense.

And in that case, it could also lead to tension between McDermott and Allen. Whether it's Dorsey or Allen responsible for the offense's woes, it's Allen's by default. And I'd imagine any complaints from JA17 could easily get thrown back in his face.

It's a game of Russian Roulette right now. McDermott is going to try to hold fast to "complementary football" (i.e. ball control & more limits on Hero Ball, as any Defensive Coach is prone to do when offense is adding stress to his job), and either a) Josh/Dorsey/Offense will learn to operate more efficiently in this paradigm & win, or b) they will continue to fail and McDermott may have to relent in order to avoid a losing season.

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Again, why are pointing a finger at Josh without specifics Thanks for the conversation and without specifics, I’m done.

Good take, thanks for the sanity

We have the 3rd ranked O in the entire league this season. Yet most of these people can't see that our D has been the issue 100%. We score at will when we want to so I guess that makes fans go crazy. As Josh said many times this week... we are testing things to see what works".

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I come out and say it because it seems obvious something is going on.  He says he has to be better.  Why doubt him when he says that?

There is not one member of the team and coaching staff that can say they’re doing their best right now.  Everyone needs to step it up.  And that includes the guy that plays the most important position.

Look at your comments.  You are blasting coaches and other players when they make mistakes, but when Josh does he gets a pass.  It doesn’t work like that.

First, the fact he says he has to be better is not an indictment of his play but more deflecting blame away from teammates and coaches. It’s called leadership. Of course he says they have to be better because of the 2 losses. Let’s examine my criticism of the coaches. Dorsey is in his 2nd season . He’s proved nothing and has  been roundly panned for poor play calling. This is a direct reflection on Josh’s play and the fact that we have these poor starts. Sean, a defensive coach has a defense that gave up 2 long drives, with the game on the line, to Mac Jones, who has averaged 12 points a game. If he can’t the players to tackle,what good is he. Yes, the kicker has missed 3 important FGs the last 2weeks. That reflects on Josh’s play. All the fouls on defense by our cornerbacks, that makes stopping teams kind of difficult. These backups and Kickers and coaches have this team struggling, but Josh gives us a chance every week.

3 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

On the field. Get used to it. Teams are playing us tougher. That's why we have 60 minutes in every game - or rather, 4 quarters. Yes, the first 3 quarters were slow on O but again, we took the lead BY SCORING. Our D can't ever hold their end.

I agree that our O is slow right now but you can't tell me that by scoring roughly 25 points per game we shouldn't be winning. Unreal. Our D has been wimpy since McD came. 

Let me ask you a question.  Did you read my original post?  Because if you had you would see that I called the defensive effort on the last drive inexcusable.  

The offense has sleep walked for 50% or more of the last several games.  That is as inexcusable as the defensive performance yesterday.  

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

First, the fact he says he has to be better is not an indictment of his play but more deflecting blame away from teammates and coaches. It’s called leadership. Of course he says they have to be better because of the 2 losses. Let’s examine my criticism of the coaches. Dorsey is in his 2nd season . He’s proved nothing and has  been roundly panned for poor play calling. This is a direct reflection on Josh’s play and the fact that we have these poor starts. Sean, a defensive coach has a defense that gave up 2 long drives, with the game on the line, to Mac Jones, who has averaged 12 points a game. If he can’t the players to tackle,what good is he. Yes, the kicker has missed 3 important FGs the last 2weeks. That reflects on Josh’s play. All the fouls on defense by our cornerbacks, that makes stopping teams kind of difficult. These backups and Kickers and coaches have this team struggling, but Josh gives us a chance every week.

Did I not say as my first point in my original post that Dorsey isn’t effective?  Did I not say in my 3rd point that the defensive effort yesterday was inexcusable.

I’m done responding to you.  You ignore any comments that don’t support your supposition that people are just picking on St. Josh.

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Regarding Point #2)  I commented on the same thing today watching with my buddies.  I mentioned how I think Josh is far more athletically talented than Kelly ever was but you would never see Kelly sitting there, moping on the bench with a deer in the headlights look that is starting to become all too common with Allen lately.  I don't get it, I'm not sure where the fire has gone

That, or maybe he's sitting thinking, I can't believe he dropped that pass.

11 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

We have the 3rd ranked O in the entire league this season. Yet most of these people can't see that our D has been the issue 100%. We score at will when we want to so I guess that makes fans go crazy. As Josh said many times this week... we are testing things to see what works".

So you didn’t read it.  As I thought.

19 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Regarding Point #2)  I commented on the same thing today watching with my buddies.  I mentioned how I think Josh is far more athletically talented than Kelly ever was but you would never see Kelly sitting there, moping on the bench with a deer in the headlights look that is starting to become all too common with Allen lately.  I don't get it, I'm not sure where the fire has gone

Half the time you think he moping, he's actually looking down at that tablet. Kelly didn't have a tablet to look at.

Nobody listens. You CANNOT take a 1000 times rejected kid from the middle of nowhere CA, Pay him $258M, have him dump his long time GF in favor of hollywood trollups, feature him in commercial after commercial, get rid of his mentor (daboll) and expect it to NOT affect him in any way. He's all mentally damaged. He needs a sports psychologist and quickly. 

Remember he had to work and hone his mechanics and all that... he's regressed, go watch the 2020 patriots game in foxboro for proof. Different QB. 

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Let me ask you a question.  Did you read my original post?  Because if you had you would see that I called the defensive effort on the last drive inexcusable.  

The offense has sleep walked for 50% or more of the last several games.  That is as inexcusable as the defensive performance yesterday.  

Did I not say as my first point in my original post that Dorsey isn’t effective?  Did I not say in my 3rd point that the defensive effort yesterday was inexcusable.

I’m done responding to you.  You ignore any comments that don’t support your supposition that people are just picking on St. Josh.

I’m glad you’re done because you haven’t made a reasonable argument for a vague criticism of our best player. When pushed, you responded with the 3 bad throws argument and then going back to the bad Jets game. “There’s something going on with Josh”. You deserve the mediocrity of the last 21/2 decades, hoping and praying for a great QB. I’m embarrassed for you. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Eastport bills said:

I’m glad you’re done because you haven’t made a reasonable argument for a vague criticism of our best player. When pushed, you responded with the 3 bad throws argument and then going back to the bad Jets game. “There’s something going on with Josh”. You deserve the mediocrity of the last 21/2 decades, hoping and praying for a great QB. I’m embarrassed for you. 

What in the hell does the last decade and a half have to do with the last 3 games?  We have a great QB now who has not performed as well as he could recentl, and the same can be said for everyone else associated with the team.  Period.  Go kiss your Josh doll.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.