NFL Offense > Defense Pendulum Swinging Back?

EmotionallyUnstable

You've always got a better chance to win if you can stop someone as means your offense has to do less. It's why the old adage is that defense wins championships exists. Never truer than the year the Baltimore Ravens won with Dilfer at QB. I think the same as true today, only difference is most games now are usually won or lost by two or three plays in a given game. 

On 10/2/2023 at 9:28 PM, Bob in STL said:

Defensive players today have to be fast and fearless.  Just being strong and willing to tackle is not enough in todays game.   Look at our linebackers today compared to the proto-type LBs from the 70/80/90’s.   This position has completely evolved to help support the passing game but fast and strong enough to snuff the run.  

We’re are fortunate as Benard looks to be in the Milano mold and we have two LBs capable of keeping an offense like Miami’s at bay. 

The reason for more athletic LBs is because the TE position has evolved too, as now it seems like every good team has a TE that can find a seam in the middle of a defense and move the chains. I mean look at our game we were struggling when we let Smythe beat us early on but once we covered him we did better on D. Toss in on the other side Kincaid was a threat against the Dolphins. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Cleveland

Dallas

Buffalo

San Fransisco

Phili 

The game has evolved, and continues to be, an offensive game. However, it seems that teams have started to counter this with both scheme (2 high safeties, etc) and personnel.

There are hosts of other teams with dynamic pass rushers, good defenses and parity seems to be at an all-time high.

Even some of the best offenses of years past aren’t nearly as dangerous or unstoppable as they seemed to have been previously. 

I personally think it’s great for the game, but why? Have defenses started to catch up? Is this just an illusion to me? Or are we starting to see a transition back towards prioritizing pieces of the defensive side of the ball? 

Seems like a lot of defensive TD's have been scored for only 4 weeks into the season.

19 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

I hope it's starting to swing back, it's a better sport with parity on both sides of the ball. 

On a related note, is anyone else sick of the under-thrown deep ball PI call? I wish the nfl could do something about that....

Yes, I hate the underthrown deepball interference call.  There is nothing a defender can do really.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Cleveland

Dallas

Buffalo

San Fransisco

Phili 

The game has evolved, and continues to be, an offensive game. However, it seems that teams have started to counter this with both scheme (2 high safeties, etc) and personnel.

There are hosts of other teams with dynamic pass rushers, good defenses and parity seems to be at an all-time high.

Even some of the best offenses of years past aren’t nearly as dangerous or unstoppable as they seemed to have been previously. 

I personally think it’s great for the game, but why? Have defenses started to catch up? Is this just an illusion to me? Or are we starting to see a transition back towards prioritizing pieces of the defensive side of the ball? 

Ive been saying this all offseason but there has been such a focus on passing the ball. OL starting in college are taking more passblock snaps then ever. More Receivers then ever are being drafted in the first 2 days of drafts. Linebackers HAVE BEEN GETTING SMALLER EVERY YEAR. They also are being brought up to speed in college with a role tilting towards DB over run defending.

We started to see NE, Indy, Mia, SF, Cleveland (TN has done this all along) committing to the run like nobody has in recent years. Why? These teams havent had better than middling at best QB play, why throw a 50xs a game with a bad QB.... so they went anti-trend.  The top defenses are built to stop the pass. All these teams had flashes of success doing it, and a lot of these teams were the outlier that other teams didnt want to run into in the playoffs.

The US military would run over a country like France, theyre not built for that kinda war...... ISIS sure as hell given us some fits though.  Did the VietCong strafe and bomb the chit outta us using their AirForce/Aircraft Carriers? Or did they find a way to drag us into territory we're uncomfortable/not built for and use guerilla tactics like bottlenecking, traps, and ambushes?

......... what im getting at here....... is Mia is ISIS, and NE is the VC? Maybe I have this backwards......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.