Will boogie basham be the next Wyatt Teller for Beane?

Coldfronts

Maybe I'm not a good talent evaluator but I never saw anything in Boogie's game - not in his college highlights and not in his time with the Bills - that suggested to me that he'd be a productive NFL sack artist.  

I'm not knocking the guy.  He's a good backup.  Maybe he'd be a good starter 50 years ago when the suddenness to get to the QB wasn't as prized as much as it is today.  I don't know - maybe this season he'll prove to a better fit for what the Giants want. 

But I don't believe he was ever going to be very productive here.  

More important than what Basham does in New Jersey and what Teller has done in Cleveland is what Jonathan does here in Buffalo. And probably Lawson, too. That's the comparison(s) the team was actively making that led to the trade. 

Can't wait for the Bills to fully move on from both DE/DT tweeners they over-drafted in consecutive years purely due to perceived value and definitely not projected fit. Epenesa should have maybe gone to a 3-4 team who liked his size/length/weight and strength as a 5-tech, and Basham should have been drafted lower overall and maybe valued for his stoutness to reduce down to 3-tech in subpackages. I get the picks from a purely draft value standpoint, in a vacuum, but this ain't a vacuum. They weren't good fits for the Buffalo Bills. It could have worked, I guess. But it didn't.

That being said, Epenesa will probably flash a few times in his final season with the team. His production last season was solid for a depth rotational edge. 

• Like (+1) 2

Aaron Kromer is now OL coach and he was not on staff when Carlos "Boogie" Basham Jr was selected.

Bills usually have coaches help evaluate staff and picks and Aaron Kromer likely determined he was not a good fit for scheme they were going to run.

Bobby Johnson went from Bills to Giants when Coach Brian Daboll was signed by Giants and likely was involved in initial evaluation of Boogie.

It makes since with scheme changes that Giants would find it worth while to sign him to their roster.

Please go back to your irrational ranting and using this to reinforce your opinions before he was traded.

7 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Seemed like a strange move considering Von Miller is out for significant time, why would you give away another pass rusher 

The Bills have 5 DEs and 5 DTs on their 53 now. Plus Von Miller on PUP. It was a numbers issue so someone had to go. I think it was Basham because he was unhappy not getting on the field here and he wanted to go somewhere he could get some snaps. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.