Beane concerned with Kyle Allen?

MarkKelso'sHelmet

40 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So here's the thing.  If I speak "off the record" to you, it means I'm speaking in confidence.  It's between you, me, and the walls.

If you then make it between you, me, and your radio broadcast buddy IN THE BOOTH, with microphones around, it's no longer "off the record".  You have broken my confidence.

If it were true that Beane said something like that on Miller's SiriusXM radio show, you need to change the tense to "it seems they HAD a good relationship".

disagree

if you are someone who puts things on the record, as part of your job, i expect you will put things on the record.  that's why you are talking to me.  to help you do your job by collecting things to put onto the Record

so here, "off the record" is the same as "dont quote me on that" and/or "if you attribute this to me i will deny it and be angry as hell."

for example, colleagues tell each other "Beane told me off the record that kyle allen sucks" is fine.  As long as (from Beane's perspective) you made clear to your colleague that its off the record, and you trust that colleague to also keep it off the record.  Which means "out of my [Beane's] mouth."    

It does not mean "take it to your grave" when speaking to someone whose job and industry is to put things on, or off, an actual Record

Edited by maddenboy

On 8/27/2023 at 11:21 PM, DapperCam said:

Bills kicked the tires on Trey Lance apparently, which lines up with this story. Wish we could get back the NVP.

Speaking of Trey Lance...Bills may have enquired, but SF ate $8.4M of dead cap to move him.  Stands to reason they wanted some reasonable draft comp.

However, anyone who refers to drafting Boogie Basham or Cody Ford in the 2nd as the worst draft pick ever is cordially invited to read this article:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38253859/trey-lance-future-best-nfl-team-trade-fits-how-49ers-got-wrong-next

8 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

disagree

if you are someone who puts things on the record, as part of your job, i expect you will put things on the record.  that's why you are talking to me.  to help you do your job by collecting things to put onto the Record

so here, "off the record" is the same as "dont quote me on that" and/or "if you attribute this to me i will deny it and be angry as hell."

for example, colleagues tell each other "Beane told me off the record that kyle allen sucks" is fine.  As long as (from Beane's perspective) you made clear to your colleague that its off the record, and you trust that colleague to also keep it off the record.  Which means "out of my [Beane's] mouth."    

It does not mean "take it to your grave" when speaking to someone whose job and industry is to put things on, or off, an actual Record

From what was quoted, "Beane told me off the record" was not said, and it was said in front of actual microphones during an actual broadcast.

If you're a journalist and that's your idea of proper journalistic etiquette for an "off the record" source, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

From what was quoted, "Beane told me off the record" was not said, and it was said in front of actual microphones during an actual broadcast.

If you're a journalist and that's your idea of proper journalistic etiquette I don't know what to tell you.

fair point

16 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

disagree

This is a good point.  If someone tell you something in confidence, it is hard, or impossible, to "unknow" that fact.

Its like your sister tells you, in confidence, that she's pregnant.  You're in a setting thats full of people that dont know your sister at all.  Your guard is down.  You accidentally mention that she's pregnant.

Sometimes things slip out.  People make mistakes.  Some people make more than others.  Those are the people you tell no secrets to, nothing off the record.

But life is a learning process.  It may take time to figure out who the blabbermouths are. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.