Nice Guy Tommy Doyle

blizzardman

To set the scene, after the practice last night we were hanging around, Stef walked by, then Doyle and Brown. 

Josh was taking a lap doing high fives. 

As Doyle took my daughters hat to sign, Josh was turning the corner, Doyle took a step back and continued signing the hat, while Josh ran in front of us. 

My daughter got a high five from Josh and totally freaked (tears and all), all the while Tommy Doyle was just standing there waiting for her so he could give the hat back. 

If this isn’t total ‘life of an offensive lineman’ story, I don’t know what is. 

Nice guy Tommy D gets a shout out from me. Very cool and understanding in the moment. 

Maybe there’s a spot on the team for him, to catch another playoff TD. 

Edited by blizzardman
  • Like (+1) 26
  • Awesome! (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Doyle did really well in that "6th OL/Big TE" role 2 seasons ago. And who can forget playing in the Dolphins game with a torn ACL last year. Dude is a tough "team first" guy. Gotta respect that.

Don't know if he makes the 53, but if not I'm hoping we can get him back on PS. He's the kind of guy you want to keep around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Nice story and perfect photo, capturing the moment, even without Josh in the picture. 

Backup offensive lineman, doing his job in a good-natured way, young girl thrilled to be up close with any of the players, happy to get an autograph, even though she probably doesn't know who 72 is.   Then Josh runs by, gives the high five, and the girl goes nuts.  Doyle already knows he's NFL chopped liver and didn't need the moment to remind him, but he gets it, waiting patiently for the girl to come back to earth to get her cap back.

When she takes the cap to school, she'll show her friends the autograph and tell everyone that while she was getting it, Josh Allen high fived her.   If you're a good dad, you'll be sure she knows Doyle's name and understands that he's an important part of the story, too. 

Great photo.  A keeper. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

On a side note, Spencer Brown is holding his head. Do you think it’s a concussion??? 

Here we go!   Love it!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

When she takes the cap to school, she'll show her friends the autograph and tell everyone that while she was getting it, Josh Allen high fived her.   If you're a good dad, you'll be sure she knows Doyle's name and understands that he's an important part of the story, too. 

When I took my daughter and two of my friend's kids (they were very busy working multiple jobs so they often were my daughter's brother and sister) to training camp I made sure they knew who every player who greeted them or signed something for them.  We later went to a preseason game with first row seats on 2nd level thanks to some friends on the board and they got commented on them and they told people who the players were who signed their hats.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Doyle did really well in that "6th OL/Big TE" role 2 seasons ago. And who can forget playing in the Dolphins game with a torn ACL last year. Dude is a tough "team first" guy. Gotta respect that.

Don't know if he makes the 53, but if not I'm hoping we can get him back on PS. He's the kind of guy you want to keep around. 

If you had asked me at the beginning of last season to write up my scouting report of Doyle, it would have consisted of one word: "Sucks."  But the Miami game changed everything for me.  Not that he played well; he didn't.  But that he played at all with a torn ACL was impressive - what a teammate.  Now my one-word scouting report is: "Warrior."   I'm rooting for him!

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, blizzardman said:

To set the scene, after the practice last night we were hanging around, Stef walked by, then Doyle and Brown. 

As Doyle took my daughters hat to sign, Josh was turning the corner, Doyle took a step back and continued signing the hat, while Josh ran in front of us. 

My daughter got a high five from Josh and totally freaked (tears and all), all the while Tommy Doyle was just standing there waiting for her so he could give the hat back. 

Nice guy Tommy D gets a shout out from me. Very cool and understanding in the moment. 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

What an awesome story! Happy for you and your daughter. 

On a side note, Spencer Brown is holding his head. Do you think it’s a concussion??? 

I kid, I kid…….  😋

When Brown walked away was he hunched over as if his lower back was bothering him??????

9 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

When Brown walked away was he hunched over as if his lower back was bothering him??????

I hate to ask this, but might it be his spleen?  

I’m sorry, we shall not go there until we get some clarification. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, blizzardman said:

Come to think of it, Tommy Doyle and Spencer Brown must be close friends on account of them both being 6'8", playing the same position and being drafted in the same year.

Did you or anyone around you ask Doyle how Brown's back was feeling?

I'll hang up and listen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.