James Cook SZN incoming.

FireChans

19 hours ago, FireChans said:

I have been watching some games from last season just for fun. The more I watch Cook in his limited role last year, the more excited I get.

Cook, as we know, struggled to get on the field last year. Part of that may have just been some of his rawness in regards to the little things, things that Singletary as a less athletic player was clearly better at.

But now, with a full off-season, a decent rookie season under his belt, and limited competition from a pass-catching standpoint, I really think Cook is gonna have a monster year. His burst is undeniable when watching him play last season. If he can tighten up in pass pro and his field awareness, I could see Cook with easily 1200 scrimmage yards. 

McDermott’s underutilization of rookies is ridiculous. 

I absolutely agree that Cook is one who can make some noise. 

I look forward to seeing him get more opportunities to do so. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

One (imperfect) solution to this, as we saw a bit last season, was keeping Dawson Knox inline instead. Cook has the kind of greasy speed and easy hands you don't want to keep bottled up in the backfield blocking, of course. But on an audible to max protect against pressure, or to occasionally keep a dedicated defender/spy occupied and inside the box while someone else gets behind them...you need him to be able to do the dirty work so his presence is NOT a tell or a handicap.   

Imagine if/when Kincaid could/can occasionally acquit himself as an inline pass blocker and allow Knox to get downfield instead...

The ability to be multiple can be pretty helpful.

I would rather have Knox running routes than blocking vs having cook running routes rather than a blocking back.

This is why I appreciated Singleterry. I like Knox as a safety outlet for Allen. He's shown worth doing this. Singleterry could block. If we can get running from gillam or Morris we have a viable option in the backfield that can block.

So in this case, id just as soon have someone who actually blocks to block then any of those. If we can get Doyle back at big Tackle and Knox to run routes then I'm even more happy. 

Hell, let Doyle be like that fatass running back in Baltimore.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He has nobody ahead of him. Certainly not based on 1st team reps at camp. This is Cook's job to lose. 

If he loses it pass pro is my guess as to why.

there’s no question that he’s the best with the ball in his hands so the only way he’s not RB1 is if he’s awful without it. That said, it’s obviously some committee 

6 hours ago, Luka said:

With the Bills looking at running a ton more 12 personnel I don't think his pass blocking is going to be as much of a concern as it's being made out to be. 

I think it's about flexibility. Cook was terrible in pass-pro last year and still got some burn. But you cannot be a liability blocking or on some of those delayed releases and see consistent field-time.

35 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Now that’s just incredibly dumb 

Cooki knows what his game is you’re not gonna see him busting through the middle of line dragging defenders with him for first downs

They need to keep him clean and let him work

We bought other running backs for that

Edited by John from Riverside

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Cooki knows what his game is you’re not gonna see him busting through the middle of line dragging defenders with him for first downs

They need to keep him clean and let him work

We bought other running backs for that

It’s not just about his inability to run through contact, It’s the fact that he’s unwilling to be physical. It starts with pass pro and that’s why he was on the field for 18 snaps of pass pro last year.  Opposing defenses know this trend and can adjust. It doesn’t sound like he’s been effective in PP early in in camp either.  He’s never been physical. He’s always been a lightly used niche back.  That’s how he should be used 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Now that’s just incredibly dumb 

Looks like we have yet another 

You said that “he’s scared of contact”.  
When in fact, if he was, as you say “scared of contact”, I promise you….. he would not be an NFL RB.  

you don’t understand what the word scared means. Which would make you incredibly dumb. 

Edited by NewEra

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.