Bills Sign 7th Round Pick Lionel Gates

Bills | Gates Signed - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:40:37 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Buffalo Bills have signed seventh-round choice RB Lionel Gates to a three-year, $959,000 contract. The deal includes a $34,000 signing bonus and league standard minimum base salaries for all three years. Gates can also return kickoffs and is expected to play principally on special teams in his rookie season.

I wouldn't read too much into the 3-year deal, since salaries are not guranteed in the NFL. It just allows the team to only have to account for 1/3 of his signing bonus against the cap this year.

With that said, if Gates performs well in camp and contributes to Special Teams, he has a very good chance of making the team. We know how TD covets his draft picks.

3 year deals are pretty much the standard for all 4th round picks and below(even some 3rd rounders). That way by the end of their contract, they become restricted free agents.

3 year deals are pretty much the standard for all 4th round picks and below(even some 3rd rounders).  That way by the end of their contract, they become restricted free agents.

348873[/snapback]

That's right Roc. Its essentially a 4 year deal when you add the minimum qualifying offer most picks who contribute to the team are given at the end of the contract. If Lionel turns into a stud--he then would get an RFA qualifying offer that would up his compensation if he signed somewhere else as an RFA.

An interesting situation to watch will be Terrence McGee's next off-season. He was a 4th round pick and his original deal expires at the end of the season I believe. The Bills will probably offer him a large qualifying offer that would require a first round pick in compensation if he signs elsewhere--but it has been reported that they are working on an extension for him. It would be nice to lock him up for 2 or 3 more years.

It just allows the team to only have to account for 1/3 of his signing bonus against the cap this year.

Smart thinking by TD -- that $34,000 signing bonus could hurt us if we didn't cut it up into three parts! :D

CW

Smart thinking by TD -- that $34,000 signing bonus could hurt us if we didn't cut it up into three parts! :D

CW

348941[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. $11,333 against the cap, but the guy could still get cut before the first bus unloads at Fisher. After taxes/agent's cut, this guy probably doesn have a whole lot of waking-around money in his pocket. Then again, he doesn't have to fight traffic to get to his cubicle each morning.

:lol:

Good for him and right now he's getting most of the reps in camp because our other 2 backs don't think they need to be there.

GO GATES!  :D

348825[/snapback]

I heard Rashard Lee was getting the lion's share. In any case, when the starter is missing it does give the understudies a chance to make up ground. I don't even think of Henry as a Bill any more.

I was thinking the same thing.  $11,333 against the cap, but the guy could still get cut before the first bus unloads at Fisher.  After taxes/agent's cut, this guy probably doesn have a whole lot of waking-around money in his pocket.  Then again, he doesn't have to fight traffic to get to his cubicle each morning. 

:lol:

348954[/snapback]

Just reading somewhere else that the bears signed a sixth rd pick with a $100k bonus. Dam, I didn't realize thre was that much differance between the rds

3 year deal for a 7th round pick?  I don't remember that being the norm.  Does anyone?

348819[/snapback]

In signing him to a 3 year deal not only do we spread out the signing bonus (as others have mentioned) but when his contract is up he would be a Restricted Free Agent and easier to Re-sign.

Yes, the first Bill to sign.  As training camp ends, most of the pics will have signed by then.

349871[/snapback]

That much I know. I was wondering if he was the first in the NFL to sign. It really doesn't mean much, but I was curious.