Public Pools

Joe Ferguson forever

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Did you get a bathing suit? Or was it more “Casey Middle School Style”? 

People tube down the Chattahoochee River here for hours. Usually with a cooler of beer and mysteriously nobody ever has to stop to pee. It’s the fecal count that would keep me from letting my dog swim in there, much less see me join her. I dog died after her owner let her swim at the “Dog Beach” on a lake near us. We took our last dog there! 

When I lived in the Grand Canyon in the early/mid 80s we would go to Phoenix for the weekend and tube down the Salt River with hundreds of partiers. Big rafts with kegs and boomboxes blasting music. At the end of the run hundreds of people would be partying in the river. They had a big jump built for people to do flips on their bikes into the water. It was a wild scene, I highly doubt it is allowed to happen anymore.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

When I lived in the Grand Canyon in the early/mid 80s we would go to Phoenix for the weekend and tube down the Salt River with hundreds of partiers. Big rafts with kegs and boomboxes blasting music. At the end of the run hundreds of people would be partying in the river. They had a big jump built for people to do flips on their bikes into the water. It was a wild scene, I highly doubt it is allowed to happen anymore.

If it ever does, let us know.  Never tried a flip on a bike.  You?  but now it's on my bucket list.  Guessing they did back flips?  Will need to buy a new cup.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I remember the air guns. You're a pervert.

c'mon the girls knew what was going to happen.

Edited by redtail hawk

Back in the ‘60s living in Buffalo it was a hot day. I was 8 and my friend was a couple years older. There were no pools nearby so my mom said use the hose to cool off. We thought that sucked, and my friend knew of a pool a few miles away at Shoshone Park. So I got on my 3 speed Schwinn and him on his new English Racer and rode there. Of course we didn’t tell our parents. Just leaned our bikes on a fence without locks. After a day at the pool we left to find my friend’s bike was stolen. Shortly after my parents came driving up after they figured out where we went. It was the only time in my life that I got spanked and sent to my room. 😩

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Back in the ‘60s living in Buffalo it was a hot day. I was 8 and my friend was a couple years older. There were no pools nearby so my mom said use the hose to cool off. We thought that sucked, and my friend knew of a pool a few miles away at Shoshone Park. So I got on my 3 speed Schwinn and him on his new English Racer and rode there. Of course we didn’t tell our parents. Just leaned our bikes on a fence without locks. After a day at the pool we left to find my friend’s bike was stolen. Shortly after my parents came driving up after they figured out where we went. It was the only time in my life that I got spanked and sent to my room. 😩

great story!  My friend and I were building a tree fort next to a new house under construction.  Unbeknownst to me, my friend was stealing wood from the house for the fort.  One day we came back to the fort to find his bike (which was parked on the ground below the fort) stolen.  My friend got it back by apologizing to the contractor.  Kids are so dumb sometimes.

Many public pools in my area are closed.  Most were built in the 1950s-1960s when the feds were throwing grant money out to municipalities for big public works projects like hospitals, pools and libraries. Had another one just wiped out by a recent flash flood.  

Back then, they poured pool shells sometimes with just 4-5 inches of concrete.  That gives out after years of water pressure and weight.   Usually a crack will develop that can't be filled, so it persistently leaks water, and then, in a worst case scenario, a sinkhole of unknown depth, develops underneath the shell, which requires the entire pool to be completely removed.  

Today it's a minimum 6-8 inches of concrete for a public pool, 12" if the town can afford it.      

21 hours ago, Augie said:

There is a splash pad at that pool too, and they are adding one to our little downtown area. They are quite popular. My brother-in-law the pediatrician pointed out something I had not thought of: what is inside all the diapers running around out there? He says it’s a real “thing”. 

This is why you will not find me in a public pool. Piss and ***** factor is too high. 

• Agree 1

When we visit the kid in Austin, we love to go to Barton Springs Pool. It is 3 acres large and natural, but with man-made improvements. The water is obviously pretty clean, as it is the habitat of the Barton Springs salamander. If you arrive before 8 am, parking and entry is free. The best feature for the birdwatcher: there is a pair of red-shouldered hawks in the vicinity.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2023 at 1:19 PM, redtail hawk said:

Who still goes?

where did/do you go in WNY?

Do you prefer lakes to pools?

I swam at pools at Fort Niagara and Joseph Davis parks.  Lot's of fun.

Remember foul balls landing in the pool at Hyde Park at NF.  Wondered if anyone ever got clobbered.

I now prefer lakes but occasionally visit a public pool.

I grew up in Niagara Falls and my older cousin was one of the high school kids that got to shag the foul balls out of Hyde Park Pool during Niagara Falls Pirates games. He saved some for me and I had a nice collection of New York Penn League logo baseballs.

On a semi-related note, Hooker Chemical used to buy out one game each summer for the families of their workers and all of the concessions were free. Each kid received a pennant or a ball cap, too. It was a highlight of the summer. Some years back, I saw a guy in Iowa was selling a NF Pirates pennant on Ebay that said, "Hooker Night, 1974." In his description he said, "I don't know what was going on in the stands in Niagara Falls in 1974, but it sounds like one hell of a good time." LOL

I snatched it up and it's a proud piece of my pennant collection to this very day.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I grew up in Niagara Falls and my older cousin was one of the high school kids that got to shag the foul balls out of Hyde Park Pool during Niagara Falls Pirates games. He saved some for me and I had a nice collection of New York Penn League logo baseballs.

On a semi-related note, Hooker Chemical used to buy out one game each summer for the families of their workers and all of the concessions were free. Each kid received a pennant or a ball cap, too. It was a highlight of the summer. Some years back, I saw a guy in Iowa was selling a NF Pirates pennant that said, "Hooker Night, 1974." In his description he said, "I don't know what was going on in the stands in Niagara Falls in 1974, but it sounds like one hell of a good time." LOL

I snatched it up and it's a proud piece of my pennant collection to this very day.

My dad worked for Hooker as did I for a few summers.  I went to some of those games.  All the peanuts, popcorn and coke you could handle and what a blast!  I think the pool must have been closed during games.  I remember the announcer saying "that ones in the pool!"  Hooker tried hard to build a nice employee and family culture.  I played softball in the Hooker league a couple of years and it was a great time.  Very fond memories and our team was terrible.  2nd to last both years.

Edited by redtail hawk

28 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I would have thought moderator duties at TBD would have inured ***** and urinated on you to like that. 🤔

Fixed

:D 

You are correct in the thought  I think I am very much inured if not injured via mod duties.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.