Public Pools

Joe Ferguson forever

Who still goes?

where did/do you go in WNY?

Do you prefer lakes to pools?

I swam at pools at Fort Niagara and Joseph Davis parks.  Lot's of fun.

Remember foul balls landing in the pool at Hyde Park at NF.  Wondered if anyone ever got clobbered.

I now prefer lakes but occasionally visit a public pool.

I like to see if I can make the water turn blue in public pools. Seems that’s just for movies, but I keep trying.  😋

After about 20 years in Florida I got spoiled by having our own pool. Almost everybody has a pool, regardless of the price-point of the neighborhood.  We bought a house that did NOT have a pool and immediately built one. Of the last 50 sales in that neighborhood, 48 had pools. I had to point that out to the seller who wanted a certain price per SF. “Um, you are missing something here. Add the pool or adjust your price.” They did. 

I enjoyed a public pool as a kid somewhere in Hamburg. I go almost daily to a park that has a pool similar to that and it’s packed! But being spoiled as I am, I try to avoid them in most cases. Sometimes on vacation if the pool feels clean I’ll take a dip. I don’t love the busy pools with kids just due to cleanliness. I don’t like icky things like used bandaids floating up to me, and I have ZERO idea what might be in a pond! 

My Dad traveled for work when I was a kid and occasionally he would bring us along on his business trips and for some reason I thought getting to swim in hotel pools was the coolest thing ever, I was just out of town recently and used the hotel pool and although I didn't have the same type of excitement as an adult lol it made me reminisce about those times.  It's amazing the things we get enjoyment out of when we are young.

I remember going to that public pool in NT a few times as a kid but it wasn't very often, when I was a kid it was right around when inground pools were starting to become pretty common and we had some neighbors that had them so we would usually go over there for swimming 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

My Dad traveled for work when I was a kid and occasionally he would bring us along on his business trips and for some reason I thought getting to swim in hotel pools was the coolest thing ever, I was just out of town recently and used the hotel pool and although I didn't have the same type of excitement as an adult lol it made me reminisce about those times.  It's amazing the things we get enjoyment out of when we are young.

I remember going to that public pool in NT a few times as a kid but it wasn't very often, when I was a kid it was right around when inground pools were starting to become pretty common and we had some neighbors that had them so we would usually go over there for swimming 

I still see hotel pools as a bonus, especially in the summer.  We've stayed at ones in cities where family lives and occasionally some of the kids have met us for a swim

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

We have a really nice public pool in Middlebury.  It has diving boards, water slides, and actual rock climbing walls that hang over the deep end.  My kids love it.  Although there are so many awesome lakes, waterfalls and other swimming spots that we only go there a few times a summer.

The public pool at my regular park has diving boards, including a high board! Maybe 12-14 feet? I’m shocked that a public facility is willing to accept the potential liability. My sister had someone land on her off the high board when we were young, which led to a trip to the hospital for a concussion. One night, despite the boards clearly being closed and blocked off, some guy (presumably drunk) dove off the high board and broke his neck. 

Diving boards are rare at private pools, so having them at public pools was a shocker. 

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

The public pool at my regular park has diving boards, including a high board! Maybe 12-14 feet? I’m shocked that a public facility is willing to accept the potential liability. My sister had someone land on her off the high board when we were young, which led to a trip to the hospital for a concussion. One night, despite the boards clearly being closed and blocked off, some guy (presumably drunk) dove off the high board and broke his neck. 

Diving boards are rare at private pools, so having them at public pools was a shocker. 

We have a new splash pad in town donated by a civic club.  I thought the price tag of $100k was pretty crazy but it's popular and free for kids.

As for diving boards, I still dive some and had a few minor injuries as a kid,  But anyone should realize that u can get hurt off a 3 meter board or a 5 or 10 meter platform especially if you don't know what you're doing.  Then u should jump feet first and enjoy the ride.

22 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

We have a new splash pad in town donated by a civic club.  I thought the price tag of $100k was pretty crazy but it's popular and free for kids.

As for diving boards, I still dive some and had a few minor injuries as a kid,  But anyone should realize that u can get hurt off a 3 meter board or a 5 or 10 meter platform especially if you don't know what you're doing.  Then u should jump feet first and enjoy the ride.

There is a splash pad at that pool too, and they are adding one to our little downtown area. They are quite popular. My brother-in-law the pediatrician pointed out something I had not thought of: what is inside all the diapers running around out there? He says it’s a real “thing”. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

There is a splash pad at that pool too, and they are adding one to our little downtown area. They are quite popular. My brother-in-law the pediatrician pointed out something I had not thought of: what is inside all the diapers running around out there? He says it’s a real “thing”. 

I know that ours had to have special drainage built - some of the high cost.  The town required it.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

We have a really nice public pool in Middlebury.  It has diving boards, water slides, and actual rock climbing walls that hang over the deep end.  My kids love it.  Although there are so many awesome lakes, waterfalls and other swimming spots that we only go there a few times a summer.

Great "WaterPark" in Montpelier too!  I hear the flume is a heck of a ride!

😉😜 Too soon??? 

14 minutes ago, T&C said:

Imagine the absolute funk in a public pool... the people who use it as their bathtub.

Never bothered me.  Even in high school pools and I've been in a few.  Now swimming in the Niagara before it got cleaned up was an adventure.

Edited by redtail hawk

14 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Never bothered me.  Even in high school pools and I've been in a few.  Now swimming in the Niagara before it got cleaned up was an adventure.

Did you get a bathing suit? Or was it more “Casey Middle School Style”? 

People tube down the Chattahoochee River here for hours. Usually with a cooler of beer and mysteriously nobody ever has to stop to pee. It’s the fecal count that would keep me from letting my dog swim in there, much less see me join her. I dog died after her owner let her swim at the “Dog Beach” on a lake near us. We took our last dog there! 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did you get a bathing suit? Or was it more “Casey Middle School Style”? 

People tube down the Chattahoochee River here for hours. Usually with a cooler of beer and mysteriously nobody ever has to stop to pee. It’s the fecal count that would keep me from letting my dog swim in there, much less see me join her. I dog died after her owner let her swim at the “Dog Beach” on a lake near us. We took our last dog there! 

Super tight, thick speedo with a cup built it...my belly would cover it up now if 
I could get 1 leg into it.  !st of 4 times I fell off in SUP yoga my first try, I said "that's ok, I had to pee anyway".  No one else fell in, true story.

Edited by redtail hawk

The Cazenovia park pool was fun as a kid but pretty crowded. We would climb the fence at night as teens to have the pool to ourselves.  We also rode our bikes to the Cargill grain elevators on Tifft and Fuhrmann and would climb up the missing stairs inside (you had to use the edges because the stairs had been removed, if you fell through the middle you would go all the way to the bottom and probably die) and then dive out of the opening ~50 ft up. The water was pretty disgusting back then.

The high tower at Sherkston Quarry was of similar height, maybe a little lower. A friend and I did 1 1/2 flip dives off of it. I only did it once and pulled it off.

When I was in grammar school we swam at the Bethlehem Management Club on Roger's rd and Southwestern in Hamburg (Briarwood? now I believe). That place was awesome. They had a diving pool with 1 and 3 meter springboards and a 3 meter platform, also had a big waterslide and bball hoop in the water. I swam and dove for the team. 

I swim in Oregon lakes and rivers mostly these days, occasionally taking a quick dip in the ocean.

Edited by Turk71
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The Cazenovia park pool was fun as a kid but pretty crowded. We would climb the fence at night as teens to have the pool to ourselves.  We also rode our bikes to the Cargill grain elevators on Tifft and Fuhrmann and would climb up the missing stairs inside (you had to use the edges because the stairs had been removed, if you fell through the middle you would go all the way to the bottom and probably die) and then dive out of the opening ~60 ft up. The water was pretty disgusting back then.

The high tower at Sherkston Quarry was of similar height. A friend and I did 1 1/2 flip dives off of it. I only did it once and pulled it off.

When I was in grammar school we swam at the Bethlehem Management Club on Roger's rd and Southwestern in Hamburg (Briarwood? now I believe). That place was awesome. They had a diving pool with 1 and 3 meter springboards and a 3 meter platform, also had a big waterslide and bball hoop in the water. I swam and dove for the team. 

I swim in Oregon lakes and rivers mostly these days, occasionally taking a quick dip in the ocean.

I loved Sherkston Beach.  Is the tower still there?  The magic carpet ride,  Mighty mouse?  Did you have a speedo with a cup.  I looked it up and I don't see one.  They do have a divers one.😀  Maybe I supplied my own cup

Edited by redtail hawk

19 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I loved Sherkston Beach.  Is the tower still there?  The magic carpet ride,  Mighty mouse?

Haven't been to Sherkston in 40 years now. Crystal Beach was definitely a big highlight of my childhood. 

I wasn't a big fan of the Wild Mouse though, that ride was scary. I was terrified I would fly out of the little car 😄. The Comet was my addiction and where I used most of my fun tickets. The whole family would go through the Fun house together and ride down the carpet just before leaving. McIntosh caramel, cinnamon apples, and some kind of berry syrup drink (loganberry) come to mind as well. Good times

Edited by Turk71
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Haven't been to Sherkston in 40 years now. Crystal Beach was definitely a big highlight of my childhood. 

I wasn't a big fan of the Wild Mouse though, that ride was scary. I was terrified I would fly out of the little car 😄. The Comet was my addiction and where I used most of my fun tickets. The whole family would go through the Fun house together and ride down the carpet just before leaving. McIntosh caramel, cinnamon apples, and some kind of berry syrup drink (loganberry) come to mind as well. Good times

They gave discounts for good report cards!  I loved the air guns pushing up girls dresses.  Probably get called a pervert but Guarantee I wasn't the only one looking.

56 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

They gave discounts for good report cards!  I loved the air guns pushing up girls dresses.  Probably get called a pervert but Guarantee I wasn't the only one looking.

With 4 brothers and 2 sisters we got a lot of free report card tickets from Tops every year. We were all pretty smart. My mom would divvy them up evenly so nobody felt bad or fought about it.

I remember the air guns. You're a pervert.😂

Edited by Turk71
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.