Hollywood is collapsing

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This first list was created in 2007 :).  Sixteen years ago.  The second was created by some random guy named Chris in 2012.  It's pry why no movies in the last 15 years made the top 100 list.

Twenty-one movies made in the last 15 years made the top 100 of the IMDB 250 list.  My personal favorites were The Dark Knight, Interstellar, Django Unchained, and Inglorious Basterds.  Big Nolan and Tarantino fan though.

What the heck, I made the poor assumption that the lists were at least somewhat updated!  Thanks for correcting my oversight!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/17/2023 at 6:45 PM, Big Blitz said:

Wokeism will be the main reason - we are going on 5 plus solid years (2 of which they shut down bc of the flu that’s only sped this up) of forcing scripts to include plots and characters that represent the “oppressed.”  Specifically the LGTBYEASSHCRU2plus loons.  

👆🤡👇

Same clown

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

But its collapsing. Hollywood is collapsing according to COVID Big Ditz.

lolz

At the same time, there is an ongoing strike with actors/screenwriters in essence suggesting that absent changes to the system, the end is nigh.   Sometimes it's hard to know exactly when the apocalypse is coming. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

At the same time, there is an ongoing strike with actors/screenwriters in essence suggesting that absent changes to the system, the end is nigh.   Sometimes it's hard to know exactly when the apocalypse is coming. 

BUT HOLLYWOOD IS COLLAPSING.

lol

What happens to a strike when there is no real impact to consumers?

Are they willing to strike for a year (or two) waiting for the public to notice diminishing content?

Remember, Covid also shut down all productions and no one really cared, and that is with everyone stuck at home.

Edited by unbillievable

18 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Are they willing to strike for a year (or two) waiting for the public to notice diminishing content?

Remember, Covid also shut down all productions and no one really cared, and that is with everyone stuck at home.

I honestly don't watch a lot of movies anymore but I still really appreciate the good ones when I do catch one. I think it's real that a lot of people don't watch as many movies anymore...but I don't think it's a "woke" thing as much as people in this thread seem to think so. 

I hope it resolves itself simply for the really good movies that do make it. Like this Oppenheimer one looks amazing to me, I'll probably get out to the theater for it. Really interesting guy and story and I do generally like Christopher Nolan. 

I don't really buy this whole "they don't make 'em like they used to!" narrative that's attached to all this. There's always been a lot of trash to go along with the good. There's just so many content options outside of movies now that people aren't going to watch something they're not really intrigued by nearly as much. Like how TV sitcoms cratered...because there's better options on the table now. 

But yes, like the writer's strike many years ago...I don't know that this will ultimately be a good thing...but I think we were headed down this road regardless. It may change to where it's harder to get a movie green-lit but I do think there's always going to be a demand and crave for good movies that there will be a market for. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

That is a good question. I mostly watch sports NFL, CFB, NHL, MLB. When I do watch shows or movies its usually the older ones. Most of today's stuff isn't that good IMHO.

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I think it's real that a lot of people don't watch as many movies anymore...but I don't think it's a "woke" thing as much as people in this thread seem to think so. 

Woke has nothing to do with it... Streaming services are killing theaters.

3 hours ago, BillStime said:

BUT HOLLYWOOD IS COLLAPSING.

lol

Holy smokes BillSy, Media Megamogul and notorious Hollywood bon vivant Barry "Fillith" Diller used nearly those exact words:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/barry-diller-executives-stars-25-percent-pay-cut-strike-1235537951/

“What will happen is, if in fact, it doesn’t get settled until Christmas or so, then, next year, there’s not going to be many programs for anybody to watch,” Diller predicted. “So, you’re going to see subscriptions get pulled, which is going to reduce the revenue of all these movie companies, television companies, the result of which is that there will be no programs. And at just the time, strike is settled, that you want to get back up, there won’t be enough money. So this actually will have devastating effects, if it is not settled soon.”

He continued: “The truth is, this [Hollywood] is a huge business both domestically and for world export.… These conditions will potentially produce an absolute collapse of an entire industry.”

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Holy smokes BillSy, Media Megamogul and notorious Hollywood bon vivant Barry "Fillith" Diller used nearly those exact words:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/barry-diller-executives-stars-25-percent-pay-cut-strike-1235537951/

“What will happen is, if in fact, it doesn’t get settled until Christmas or so, then, next year, there’s not going to be many programs for anybody to watch,” Diller predicted. “So, you’re going to see subscriptions get pulled, which is going to reduce the revenue of all these movie companies, television companies, the result of which is that there will be no programs. And at just the time, strike is settled, that you want to get back up, there won’t be enough money. So this actually will have devastating effects, if it is not settled soon.”

He continued: “The truth is, this [Hollywood] is a huge business both domestically and for world export.… These conditions will potentially produce an absolute collapse of an entire industry.”

OH NO - WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?