Senator Tuberville Holding Up Military Appointments

4 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Honestly, I think it’s much earlier. 

The rise of right wing talk radio and then Fox News allowed conservatives to envelope themselves in a comfortable cushion of being told that they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. 

From there, it’s a small jump to teach people to derive their facts from their conclusions instead of the opposite. 

You go from denying climate change because oil companies are buying right wing influencers to thinking that Paul Pelosi had a secret gay lover because the obvious explanation of his assault didn’t make liberals look bad. 

You can thank Rush Limbaugh for laying the foundation. 

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Oh honey. If you think the GOP actually wants to solve the border issue, I have a golf course in Scotland to sell you. 

When did conservative voters become such easy marks?

About 15 years ago with Gingrich, then rapidly advancing as their ranks become decreasingly educated and smart....Saw several R legislators calling out their colleagues today.  trump's magic stranglehold is disappearing.  it's why the Chinese are actually negotiating with Biden.  CPI much improved.  Fed rate increases on hold.  stock market rising.  they're dead in thee water til thy dump trump...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12754091

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

11 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Oh honey. If you think the GOP actually wants to solve the border issue, I have a golf course in Scotland to sell you. 

Good one, sweetums.  

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/15/2023 at 11:46 PM, ChiGoose said:

And according to some of your prior claims here, the democrats can’t solve it because republicans own the issue (not sure how) and they are afraid of republicans to boot. 

Bless your heart. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

And according to some of your prior claims here, the democrats can’t solve it because republicans own the issue (not sure how) and they are afraid of republicans to boot. 

Bless your heart. 

It’s an issue built around emotions, not logic.

A plan that would help fix the issues would be dead if proposed by Dems, but the same plan would have a better chance if proposed by Republicans. 

The culture war is always working to substitute facts and logic with emotions and feelings. 

Do you ever wonder why almost all policy proposals from the GOP fail a root cause analysis?

24 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

It’s an issue built around emotions, not logic.

A plan that would help fix the issues would be dead if proposed by Dems, but the same plan would have a better chance if proposed by Republicans. 

The culture war is always working to substitute facts and logic with emotions and feelings. 

Do you ever wonder why almost all policy proposals from the GOP fail a root cause analysis?

Dems had total control of Washington for two years. What did they do to address the matter? If the answer is nothing (it is), why is that the case? It somehow was the fault of the party with no power I imagine. Because they own the issue.

Good lord. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Dems had total control of Washington for two years. What did they do to address the matter? If the answer is nothing (it is), why is that the case? It somehow was the fault of the party with no power I imagine. Because they own the issue.

Good lord. 

They came up with proposals which died in the Senate due to Republicans. 

What Happened To The Bills On Employment-Based Immigration?

5 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

They came up with proposals which died in the Senate due to Republicans. 

What Happened To The Bills On Employment-Based Immigration?

Democrats failed because of Republicans. Because Republicans own the issue and democrats are afraid of them (your words) From the article:

A Senate parliamentarian’s advice can be overcome by a vote but Sen. Durbin indicated getting all Senate Democrats to vote against a parliamentarian’s ruling on immigration was not “realistic.”

How about immigration that is not “employment-based”? The kind that has you wanting border towns to bear the burden so as to avoid human trafficking of immigrants to sanctuary cities? Did democrats also fail there because of republicans? 

13 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Democrats failed because of Republicans. Because Republicans own the issue and democrats are afraid of them (your words) From the article:

A Senate parliamentarian’s advice can be overcome by a vote but Sen. Durbin indicated getting all Senate Democrats to vote against a parliamentarian’s ruling on immigration was not “realistic.”

How about immigration that is not “employment-based”? The kind that has you wanting border towns to bear the burden so as to avoid human trafficking of immigrants to sanctuary cities? Did democrats also fail there because of republicans? 

No immigration reform is simple and no immigration reform will succeed without fixing the legal immigration system. 

While there are good discussions and debates to be had on how to fix the problem, a big dumb wall that does basically nothing except cost a ton of money isn’t a solution. 

There are a wide range of proposals from Dems on this. What is the GOP proposing that would address the root causes of the issue?

20 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

No immigration reform is simple and no immigration reform will succeed without fixing the legal immigration system. 

While there are good discussions and debates to be had on how to fix the problem, a big dumb wall that does basically nothing except cost a ton of money isn’t a solution. 

There are a wide range of proposals from Dems on this. What is the GOP proposing that would address the root causes of the issue?

You would have people believe that democrats have solutions in hand, to address the root causes of the issue no less, but are too timid to force the issue and even with two years of total control are just victims of republican intransigence. 

I’m not defending republicans as they are a pitiful lot. I’m merely pointing out the absurdity of your words and position on the matter. 

Since you are now going to root cause, wasn’t the current Vice President put in charge of addressing that some time ago? Any updates? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

You would have people believe that democrats have solutions in hand, to address the root causes of the issue no less, but are too timid to force the issue and even with two years of total control are just victims of republican intransigence. 

I’m not defending republicans as they are a pitiful lot. I’m merely pointing out the absurdity of your words and position on the matter. 

Since you are now going to root cause, wasn’t the current Vice President put in charge of addressing that some time ago? Any updates? 

It’s almost as if you don’t understand how our government works. Ignorance is key to MAGA so I can’t say that I’m surprised, but I would have hoped that you knew better. 

Passing a law requires a majority in the House, 60 votes in the Senate, and a signature of the President. A bill proposing that 1+1=2 won’t do anything if there is enough opposition to it. Any member of an administration is still limited by the constitution. 

The Dems don’t have all of the answers and I don’t always agree with their proposals. But the difference is that they are at least trying to address the issues; a concept that is anathema to elected Republicans. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

It’s almost as if you don’t understand how our government works. Ignorance is key to MAGA so I can’t say that I’m surprised, but I would have hoped that you knew better. 

Someone with a different viewpoint = MAGA. How original and erudite. This calls to mind your post of a couple weeks ago about not judging a large swath of people based on the actions of a few. A ridiculous comment from you as you are undoubtedly aware. It’s one of your trademarks. 

Here’s another one of yours, though I have taken the liberty and altered it slightly:

On 11/15/2023 at 11:46 PM, ChiGoose said:

Oh honey. If you think the democrats actually want to solve the border issue, I have a golf course in Scotland to sell you. 

When did liberal voters become such easy marks?

Edited by JDHillFan
Spelling
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Democrats’ Dishonesty Over Military Holds

by John Ullyot

Senators of both parties appear poised to take unprecedented procedural steps to break the months-long hold on hundreds of military nominations by Senator Tommy Tuberville, R-Ala., over his opposition to President Biden’s decision to change abortion policy in the uniformed services without the consent of Congress.

The Senate stayed past midnight on Wednesday of last week in an attempt by a handful of Republican senators to break the logjam and confirm some of the nominations before adjourning for Thanksgiving, but were rebuffed by other Republicans who stood by their colleague in his procedural move.

{snip}

While most Americans agree in principle on the urgency to confirm qualified military nominees, as the Senate considers taking unprecedented steps to break this logjam in the coming weeks, it’s important to recognize Democrats’ own longstanding record of placing holds on military nominations to advance their own objectives while they look to score political points over this latest policy impasse.

https://townhall.com/columnists/johnullyot/2023/11/22/democrats-dishonesty-over-military-holds-n2631499

Mr. Ullyot is a Marine Corps veteran and former spokesman for the National Security Council and the Senate Armed Services Committee.

• Thank you (+1) 1

“We need to use every tool we have to fight back” against China, writes Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) in his new book, “Unwoke: How to Defeat Cultural Marxism in America.” But “getting Democrats to stand up to China,” he adds, “is a difficult task.”

He’s right on both counts. That’s why I asked him, in a radio interview last week, if this urgency about China could prompt the Senate to find a way to confirm the more than 450 career military officers whose promotions have been blocked for much of the year by Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.). It was a relief to hear Cruz report, “I believe this issue will get resolved,” because the “hold” by Tuberville “is having real and negative consequences” on the lives of military members, “on their careers, and ultimately, on military readiness.”

The Senate Republican Conference meets this week to consider a resolution that would enact a standing order for the rest of this session of Congress — not a permanent change to the Senate’s standing rules — that would expedite confirmation of these hundreds of officers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/27/senate-resolution-tuberville-pentagon-fight/?pwapi_token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJyZWFzb24iOiJnaWZ0IiwibmJmIjoxNzAxMDYxMjAwLCJpc3MiOiJzdWJzY3JpcHRpb25zIiwiZXhwIjoxNzAyNDQzNTk5LCJpYXQiOjE3MDEwNjEyMDAsImp0aSI6ImQ4ZmU0ZDNiLTFmMzYtNGEyMC1hYjlhLTcxYmNlZTlkMmVlNSIsInVybCI6Imh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lndhc2hpbmd0b25wb3N0LmNvbS9vcGluaW9ucy8yMDIzLzExLzI3L3NlbmF0ZS1yZXNvbHV0aW9uLXR1YmVydmlsbGUtcGVudGFnb24tZmlnaHQvIn0.ovv-E0YndD4RgdOgNbZTaBEgHZhX4IwXa4tHcqLTMkA