Do you have a favorite sports story?

Another Fan

I've shared this story before on here....

When I was 12, I was at my first Bills game.  Bills played the Chiefs in 1994 and the Bills won 44-10.

My dad and I wait by the area where players come out.  Jim Kelly comes out and a mob of people rush to him.  I hand him my card and he continues to walk.  He signs it and then hands it back to me but the mob gets too thick and I can't reach him....another person grabs it.

The crowd continues to follow him until he gets to his RV's....then they disperse.  I stand there teary eyed and one of Kelly's brothers who was drunk and grilling walks up to me and asks me what was wrong.  I told him and he says he can fix it...he's Jim's brother.

He puts his hand behind my back to walk with me inside the RV.  As soon as I step in, I see Jim's parents...I instantly recognize him.

The brother walks up to Jim in the kitchen as I stand by the door.  The brother walks back to me, takes off my hat and gives it to Jim.  Jim signs it, gives me a wave and smile and the brother puts the hat back on my head.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've shared this story before on here....

When I was 12, I was at my first Bills game.  Bills played the Chiefs in 1994 and the Bills won 44-10.

My dad and I wait by the area where players come out.  Jim Kelly comes out and a mob of people rush to him.  I hand him my card and he continues to walk.  He signs it and then hands it back to me but the mob gets too thick and I can't reach him....another person grabs it.

The crowd continues to follow him until he gets to his RV's....then they disperse.  I stand there teary eyed and one of Kelly's brothers who was drunk and grilling walks up to me and asks me what was wrong.  I told him and he says he can fix it...he's Jim's brother.

He puts his hand behind my back to walk with me inside the RV.  As soon as I step in, I see Jim's parents...I instantly recognize him.

The brother walks up to Jim in the kitchen as I stand by the door.  The brother walks back to me, takes off my hat and gives it to Jim.  Jim signs it, gives me a wave and smile and the brother puts the hat back on my head.

Now, that is a great sports story!! 

• Agree 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:20 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Scored 30 points in my over-40 basketball rec league last season. Have had a few 25+ point games like that.

That’s right— finally hitting my prime in my 40s!! (Or maybe everyone else is just in worse shape?). 

That reminds me….I played in a 6 foot and under basketball league in college. They measured you and everything.  Decades later I was at the doctor and they measured me as over 6 feet….and I thought back to that day I had such poor posture for a brief period.  

EDIT: I never had 30, or even anything close to 25. My job, like the others, was to get the rebound (I was the “big guy”!), and get the ball to Brent. My roommate was a freak who was good at everything. QB in high school, all-state in baseball, golf team in college, played with the guys on the college hoops team by invitation, etc. He took up tennis after college, and he’s a teaching pro now in retirement. One of those guys. We all knew our roll. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Not sure it's my favorite story, but watching the documentary about doc Ellis, the guy who threw the no hitter for the pirates on acid.

I still contend my greatest ever hockey performance was when I was about 26 playing in a pickup league with friends, on Thursday nights at 9:00pm, Lincoln Park in the T of T.  I was drunker than a skunk.  Several of us had some pops before hitting the ice.

It put my mind in a different place where I was totally in the moment and like an animal...just purely reacting and not thinking for 1/2 second about anything.  I was all over the ice and scored 4 goals.

Figures my greatest ever hockey performance would come under these conditions.   

On 6/26/2023 at 4:47 PM, Fleezoid said:

I once scored 4 touchdowns playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 City Championship game.

Oh wait.....never mind. That was Al Bundy.

Oh yeah- I can throw a football over a mountain…..oh wait that was Rico 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.