Looking back at JA17s best game ever, the underneath stuff killed NE. Makes Josh unstoppable

JerseyBills

The play calling was on point.  Just look at what they were doing with some of their playaction passes, faking QB wrap runs with pulling guards and throwing the rock.  As good as Josh was executing so was the playcalling, simply money.

Edited by bouds
  • Like (+1) 3

On 6/13/2023 at 9:30 AM, JerseyBills said:

Was on YouTube and this game highlights was on my feed so I couldn't resist but what caught my eye was how Allen took the underneath throws all day, our run game was extremely effective which lead to effective play action. This combo then opens up the intermediate- long pass game and will leave the D on skates all day..

I been saying for years,  if Josh takes what the D gives underneath,  he'd literally be unstoppable like we see here - 1 of the best QB performances in the post season. 

I think with the moves we made on we'll be seeing alot more games play out  like this. Josh just needs take those underneath options more and idk how you stop us

Having a reliable second target option for Allen is huge.

Davis and McKenzie are chronic ball droppers who started out the season as the #2 and #3 receiving weapons for Allen and both finished with 9%+ drop rates........which is brutal.

And Dawson Knox of course was a notorious ball dropper before and still tends to fight routine throws.

So it shouldn't be very surprising that if Diggs wasn't open Allen was wanting to push the ball downfield more and try to score quick.    

Gotta' remember though that while that style yielded results in that Patriots playoff win........opposing defenses WANT the Bills to try to execute 10-12 play drives.   So they gotta' be very good at it.   Hopefully Kincaid makes a huge impact in the quick game with his sure hands.   A lot to ask of a rookie to become a go-to guy immediately and sustain it for a full season and SB run though.

Also, if they somehow manage to get Hopkins he's like a 1% drop rate guy so that would further address the big problem with dropsies from Bills weapons and encourage Allen to get the ball out quick/on-time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Having a reliable second target option for Allen is huge.

Davis and McKenzie are chronic ball droppers who started out the season as the #2 and #3 receiving weapons for Allen and both finished with 9%+ drop rates........which is brutal.

And Dawson Knox of course was a notorious ball dropper before and still tends to fight routine throws.

So it shouldn't be very surprising that if Diggs wasn't open Allen was wanting to push the ball downfield more and try to score quick.    

Gotta' remember though that while that style yielded results in that Patriots playoff win........opposing defenses WANT the Bills to try to execute 10-12 play drives.   So they gotta' be very good at it.   Hopefully Kincaid makes a huge impact in the quick game with his sure hands.   A lot to ask of a rookie to become a go-to guy immediately and sustain it for a full season and SB run though.

Also, if they somehow manage to get Hopkins he's like a 1% drop rate guy so that would further address the big problem with dropsies from Bills weapons and encourage Allen to get the ball out quick/on-time.

Ya going into this year with Davis Harty Sherfield 2nd year Shakir and Kincaid should be a huge improvement over what we came into last year with

I like the new dimensions Harty brings with his speed and Kincaid brings as a TE/Slot weapon , hopefully adds some versatility to the O

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya going into this year with Davis Harty Sherfield 2nd year Shakir and Kincaid should be a huge improvement over what we came into last year with

I like the new dimensions Harty brings with his speed and Kincaid brings as a TE/Slot weapon , hopefully adds some versatility to the O

The only one I have expectations for is Kincaid.

Shakir didn't catch the ball well last year in his limited opportunities.........the drop in the playoff game against Miami when he was open alone deep stands out but also his 50% catch rate and 10% drop rate in the regular season were just more of the same inconsistency that they were getting from Gabe and Lil' Dummy.    Shakir kinda' reminds me of Knox in that he seems to focus well on difficult catch opportunities and instead his drops are the inexcusable, easy, wide-open types.   

The journeyman that they signed we'll just have to wait and see.........they have averaged less than 200 yards per season each in their careers.    Could one or both of them break out?  Yeah but OJ Howard could have been TE2 and Jamison Crowder could have played like he had 2 years prior to joining the Bills.............and of course, neither did.    Hopefully these very modest investements in weapons yield more than it's fair to expect but especially with veteran players like that.......players are who they are until otherwise proven.   

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shakir didn't catch the ball well last year in his limited opportunities.........the drop in the playoff game against Miami when he was open alone deep stands out but also his 50% catch rate and 10% drop rate in the regular season were just more of the same inconsistency that they were getting from Gabe and Lil' Dummy.    Shakir kinda' reminds me of Knox in that he seems to focus well on difficult catch opportunities and instead his drops are the inexcusable, easy, wide-open types.   

The journeyman that they signed we'll just have to wait and see.........they have averaged less than 200 yards per season each in their careers.    Could one or both of them break out?  Yeah but OJ Howard could have been TE2 and Jamison Crowder could have played like he had 2 years prior to joining the Bills.............and of course, neither did.    Hopefully these very modest investements in weapons yield more than it's fair to expect but especially with veteran players like that.......players are who they are until otherwise proven.   

Hoping to catch lightning in a bottle is a fans job, could happen, but ultimately up to management to start removing any doubt on this subject.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wouldn't call either a journeyman.  Sherfield had a breakout year last year, only going into year 6. Harty had a phenomenal 2021 after finally getting a shot but was injured most of last year. See him putting up John Brown type numbers in this O. Only going into year 5. I like the potential for both.

Shakir I thought came on nice late in the year after limited opportunities and hoping the upwards trajectory continues.  I just like these 5 vs our top 5 last year and Kincaid should be a stud 

Edited by JerseyBills

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I wouldn't call either a journeyman.  Sherfield had a breakout year last year, only going into year 6. Harty had a phenomenal 2021 after finally getting a shot but was injured most of last year. See him putting up John Brown type numbers in this O. Only going into year 5. I like the potential for both.

Shakir I thought came on nice late in the year after limited opportunities and hoping the upwards trajectory continues.  I just like these 5 vs our top 5 last year and Kincaid should be a stud 

Agree with all of this, and it all could come together, but none of these outside Kincaid are "Studs", if they take off this year it would be an outlier to their past performances. Fan in me wants this, but of course at now 54 years old i have wished for a lot of this before lol.

5 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

Agree with all of this, and it all could come together, but none of these outside Kincaid are "Studs", if they take off this year it would be an outlier to their past performances. Fan in me wants this, but of course at now 54 years old i have wished for a lot of this before lol.

I agree I do believe Harty could become a stud in this O and become a 2b next to Gabe. I mean overall,  we had McKenzie as our #3 last year and he got outright cut , so as a group they just seem like huge improvements 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Definitely got better at WR and TE this year without much fanfare. Alot of the WR moves were low money moves but will help alot.

I felt like the coaches held Shakir back last year, almost like they had him on a play count instead of letting him take his lumps on the field.

Not sure why you would do such a thing but that's what it felt like. Very 1980s to act like a rookie can't contribute too much. Hopefully Kincaid doesn't suffer the same fate this year.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I hope you are right but the two definitions of "journeyman" in sports are:

1."technically competent but having been unable to excel"

2. "has bounced around a lot of teams"

Those both apply heavily to Sherfield.    He'd be a dictionary-quality definition.

This is his 4th organization going into year 6.......and age 27 is not young.......it's about the same age and similar circumstances to Jake Kumerow when they acquired him.    We should hope that he will be a lot better than Jake........but of course we all thought there was more there with Jake as well.   He flashed with Green Bay,  scored a TD in the NFCCG for them,  looked to be emerging and Rodgers didn't want to lose him.........but he never amounted to much in Buffalo.

Harty is more of the "unable to excel" definition of journeyman.   His solid 2021 is a complete outlier for him.  I doubt he can remain healthy but he is intriguing if they can get him on the field and he can return to his form of 2021........but needing both of those two things decreases the chance that he turns into a better player than he's proven to be so far.    But he is intriguing.    And younger, at age 25.

I didn't see the same things with Shakir.    I wanted him to be that try-hard, unfairly evaluated, chip-on-shoulder guy who didn't make mental errors and didn't let the ball hit the turf........which is what we expected........but he wasn't.  He isn't explosive or a threat to outrun coverage so he really can't be a 50% catch rate guy.  You want to see him in the slot and catching 70%+ or bust.   I do think he'll start camp behind Sherfield and Harty on the depth chart because of what they bring to the table that he does not.    And if he doesn't do a better job of being where he is supposed to be and coming down with the football in camp/preseason I could even see Beane trading him to one of the teams that had hoped to get him in round 6 in the 2022 draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

A lot of people seems to feel that they started going away from the short game after the UCL injury but I felt that  the drift started earlier, in particular, after the red-zone issues in the first Miami game and the success of the deep passing game against the Steelers.

Of course,  it is just an impression and maybe the stats don't back this up.

On 6/13/2023 at 4:18 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Noticed several factors.

There were MANY playmakers in the game including Hyde on the INT and the big punt return, Singeltary had a fantastic game as did McKenzie who didnt fumble/drop the ball.  Also note Josh ran a lot, several designed runs.  Our O Line held up quite well.  We had almost everything going for us in that game.

The Hyde INT was amazing, it looked like it was certainly a TD and he just seemingly came out of nowhere to snap it. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.