Barkley hinting at sitting out the 2023 season.

Gregg

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Schoen is in a tough spot. You don't want to break the bank for an RB in today's NFL and Barkley does come with a history of injuries. But he is the best player on offense. I could see the Giants taking a step back this year. They really should go in the direction of acquiring more picks and building thru the draft. Trading Barkley (I doubt they will) is probably a better move long-term then signing him to a big contract. I give Daball all the credit in the world for what he did last year but that team doesn't have enough talent to be a Super Bowl contender. Not even close at this point.

Last year with Giants reminds me of first year for Coach McD.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Limeaid said:

Last year with Giants reminds me of first year for Coach McD.

Good comparison. But the Bills didn't give Tyrod a huge deal. I wouldn't have signed Jones to a huge deal if I was their GM. He is an average or slightly above average QB. I think they will end up regretting that contract.

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Good comparison. But the Bills didn't give Tyrod a huge deal. I wouldn't have signed Jones to a huge deal if I was their GM. He is an average or slightly above average QB. I think they will end up regretting that contract.

I agree about Jones but evidently brain trust in Jiants land think Jones is better QB than he shown in years before Coach Diabolical got there. I have not looked at contract to see if it is something which they can get out of if he returns to earlier form next year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:41 AM, Gregg said:

I doubt he will, and he said he wants to retire a Giant, but he is clearly unhappy with the lack of progress on a new contract. The Daily News also reported this in today's paper.

That Sports Guy on Twitter: "This feels very much like the Le’Veon Bell situation with the Steelers in 2018. Giants were willing to make Saquon Barkley the highest paid RB in football. Saquon turns it down, believing he’s worth more, and is kicking around the idea of sitting out" / Twitter

Hey Gregg, no pressure, but first name of Mr.Barkley would help to make your thread title more specific, I might be cherry picking, so excuse me, but it happens we have a relevant Barkley guy in our favorite team...🙃

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaL0L0k0 said:

Hey Gregg, no pressure, but first name of Mr.Barkley would help to make your thread title more specific, I might be cherry picking, so excuse me, but it happens we have a relevant Barkley guy in our favorite team...🙃

Good point. I should have mentioned Saquon.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

You said “He'll sign the tender once he realizes the fines are piling up in camp”. I pointed out that your statement is incorrect because he can’t be fined until he is under contract - which he’s not. Also he can’t cost himself any other money in camp because the tag pays in game checks. As long as he signs just prior to week 1 he’ll get the full $10.1M. Same as if he signs it now. OTOH if he signs his tag now, he might cost himself some money as it helps his leverage while he can still negotiate a long term deal, which is a real possibility. 

Yeah I forgot that they can't be fined if they don't sign the tender.  That being said, he won't sit out the season (the title of the thread) and lose on about $600K a week.

• Agree 1

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "Update: The #Giants have now placed their pre-franchise tag offer back on the table for RB Saquon Barkley, per @RapSheet It was taken off back in March when they tagged him but now it's back on. The offer was separately reported to be worth up to $14 million, per @njdotcom https://t.co/jGxvpdXjVr" / Twitter

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "Update: The #Giants have now placed their pre-franchise tag offer back on the table for RB Saquon Barkley, per @RapSheet It was taken off back in March when they tagged him but now it's back on. The offer was separately reported to be worth up to $14 million, per @njdotcom https://t.co/jGxvpdXjVr" / Twitter

Likely heavily incentive laden.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.