Are we more deserving of the SB hype this year than last?

Success

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay there is much less here I would take issue with a lot of this is fair. The are just two things I'd say:

1. Progression isn't always linear. I was saying this after 2020 as well when a lot of fans were like "AFC Championship last year, Superbowl this year." It isn't that simple. The Rams made the Superbowl, lost and missed the playoffs the next year. Their step came 2 years later. There is a lot of randomness to the NFL. 

2. I am not sure that I agree Beane was evasive. I think that is the wrong word. I think he was less positive than other end of year pressers. But I don't think he was evasive, he was honest about the limitations of what he could do to improve the roster.

He was also wrong. Like really wrong.

He complained about not sucking bad enough to get a Jamar Chase. But we did suck bad enough to get a top 10 pick, he just didn't draft the right guy.

I guess he can't say that, but when you are saying a bunch of wrong things to make you look better, it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay there is much less here I would take issue with a lot of this is fair. The are just two things I'd say:

1. Progression isn't always linear. I was saying this after 2020 as well when a lot of fans were like "AFC Championship last year, Superbowl this year." It isn't that simple. The Rams made the Superbowl, lost and missed the playoffs the next year. Their step came 2 years later. There is a lot of randomness to the NFL. 

2. I am not sure that I agree Beane was evasive. I think that is the wrong word. I think he was less positive than other end of year pressers. But I don't think he was evasive, he was honest about the limitations of what he could do to improve the roster.

That's more than fair. Nice response back. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thats not really a good example.  The Rams did a lot of retooling including a blockbuster trade to get Stafford as their QB

15 hours ago, philholbroo said:

It looked like we had a very hard schedule going in to last year too and they came away with the #2 seed and possibly shouldve been #1. Away at KC and Cincy is nothing new. We'll see if they have to go to Miami in September this year or if it gets pushed to later in season. Hopefully the D change is a good thing. Questions of LB and off coordinator are major though. 

We keep wanting Dorsey to be Reid.  Dorsey did a good job, but may be hit a wall in the playoffs,   I think another off season will help him mature as a play caller. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Thats not really a good example.  The Rams did a lot of retooling including a blockbuster trade to get Stafford as their QB

I know they made some changes in between... but that doesn't diminish the point. The point is progress has its own peaks and troughs. Every NFL team is a different team each year. Every season is its own season. 

Take the Ravens where Harbaugh inherited a pretty good team in 2008 and made the AFC title game year 1. They then took a step back the next two years, losing twice in the divisional round including a battering by Indy, before going back to lose in a second AFCCG and then the year after ultimately won their Superbowl. 

You can do it by going the progress route. But you don't always. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know they made some changes in between... but that doesn't diminish the point. The point is progress has its own peaks and troughs. Every NFL team is a different team each year. Every season is its own season. 

Take the Ravens where Harbaugh inherited a pretty good team in 2008 and made the AFC title game year 1. They then took a step back the next two years, losing twice in the divisional round including a battering by Indy, before going back to lose in a second AFCCG and then the year after ultimately won their Superbowl. 

we should do the Pats from 2005 to 2013. Lots of “made it to the AFCCG game then lost in the divisional round the next year.”

When the expectations for the Bills are higher than the greatest dynasty in football, you know we’ve gone off the rails a bit.

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

we should do the Pats from 2005 to 2013. Lots of “made it to the AFCCG game then lost in the divisional round the next year.”

When the expectations for the Bills are higher than the greatest dynasty in football, you know we’ve gone off the rails a bit.

Generally speaking are the Bills expectations too high? Or are they that high enough? 

How many AFC conference championship games have they played in the Beane, McD, and Allen era? How many Super Bowl appearances and that's not counting winning it all? 

This team and organization has clearly stated the goal is to win the Super Bowl. Of course goals aren't always achieved but the bar has been set. They made a huge bold move to get Von Miller. He was supposed to be and still can be the missing piece. 

They were overwhelming favorites to win the Super Bowl last year. The hype was real and it certainly looked plausible early on. The latter part of the season it looked very good as the Bills rattled off a winning streak and eventually had a home playoff game vs Cinci. 

In essence, I'm trying to say I don't really feel fan expectations are "off the rails" here.  I think it's fair to say the Bills are one of the teams in the discussion to compete and win the AFC. 

Edited by newcam2012

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Generally speaking are the Bills expectations too high? Or are they that high enough? 

How many AFC conference championship games have they played in the Beane, McD, and Allen era? How many Super Bowl appearances and that's not counting winning it all? 

This team and organization has clearly stated the goal is to win the Super Bowl. Of course goals aren't always achieved but the bar has been set. They made a huge bold move to get Von Miller. He was supposed to be and still can be the missing piece. 

They were overwhelming favorites to win the Super Bowl last year. The hype was real and it certainly looked plausible early on. The latter part of the season it looked very good as the Bills rattled off a winning streak and eventually had a home playoff game vs Cinci. 

In essence, I'm trying to say I don't really feel fan expectations are "off the rails" here.  I think it's fair to say the Bills are one of the teams in the discussion to compete and win the AFC. 

What I’m saying is that it’s really freaking hard to win a Super Bowl. There’s no clear cut path to do so.

The greatest dynasty in the football couldn’t get it done over a 10 year span.

The Falcons were on the cusp of winning in the SB, and they never made it back. 

We will be right there in January like we were last year and the year before and the year before.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair enough

46 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What I’m saying is that it’s really freaking hard to win a Super Bowl. There’s no clear cut path to do so.

We will be right there in January like we were last year and the year before and the year before.

I get that. Just gets a little tired some when you've waited literally decades upon decades to win just one. This fan base truly is craving for one. 

Edited by newcam2012

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Its really hard, except the Chiefs have won 2 of the last *4 and been in 3 of the last 4.   Before them, the Patriots were regularly playing in, and winning, Super Bowls.  

Patriots had the luxury of playing in a weak division year after year.  

Chiefs, with Mahomes, have yet to play a road playoff game. 

As much as we want to talk about peaking at the right time and injuries (which have NOT been kind to us recently with Tre White and Von Miller), the regular season matters…

Get the ****** one seed.  

Bills path last year:  Dolphins, Bengals, neutral site Chiefs. 

Bengals path last year: Ravens, at Bills, at Chiefs. 

Chiefs path last year: BYE, Jaguars, Bengals. 

It matters. 

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

With a qb like Allen the expectation is exactly where it should be. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Its really hard, except the Chiefs have won 2 of the last 3 and been in 3 of the last 4.   Before them, the Patriots were regularly playing in, and winning, Super Bowls.  

Patriots had the luxury of playing in a weak division year after year.  

Chiefs, with Mahomes, have yet to play a road playoff game. 

As much as we want to talk about peaking at the right time and injuries (which have NOT been kind to us recently with Tre White and Von Miller), the regular season matters…

Get the ****** one seed.  

Bills path last year:  Dolphins, Bengals, neutral site Chiefs. 

Bengals path last year: Ravens, at Bills, at Chiefs. 

Chiefs path last year: BYE, Jaguars, Bengals. 

It matters. 

The Pats went 10 years without winning a Super Bowl. The Chief HAVE NOT won 2 of the last 3 lmao.

perspective matters a little bit here

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Pats went 10 years without winning a Super Bowl. The Chief HAVE NOT won 2 of the last 3 lmao.

perspective matters a little bit here

2 of the last 4, played in 3 of the last 4. 

Not sure that mistype is worthy of an “lmao”.   Arguing that it takes all this luck yet two teams in recent memory found a way to dominate the conference. 

59 minutes ago, SCBills said:

2 of the last 4, played in 3 of the last 4. 

Not sure that mistype is worthy of an “lmao”.   Arguing that it takes all this luck yet two teams in recent memory found a way to dominate the conference. 

You do realize the reason why what the Pats did was so incredible us because it’s extremely difficult? And because that  level of consistency had never been seen before? And even despite all of that, they had a 10 year drought without a title? 

Just now, FireChans said:

You do realize the reason why what the Pats did was so incredible us because it’s extremely difficult? And because that  level of consistency had never been seen before? And even despite all of that, they had a 10 year drought without a title? 

I do .. and now the Chiefs have played in 3 of 4 and won 2 of 4.  

It is extremely difficult. 

Some teams figure it out. 

Im simply telling you that, while we have had some valid excuses, at a certain point stop talking about luck … because some teams make their own. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I do .. and now the Chiefs have played in 3 of 4 and won 2 of 4.  

It is extremely difficult. 

Some teams figure it out. 

Im simply telling you that, while we have had some valid excuses, at a certain point stop talking about luck … because some teams make their own. 

I mean, the Chiefs got lucky they drafted the current best QB in the game and paired them with a HoF coach. The Pats got lucky they drafted the previous best QB in the game and paired them with a HoF coach.

How is that not luck lmao? Drafting HoF players in the second and third and fifth rounds is luck. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I mean, the Chiefs got lucky they drafted the current best QB in the game and paired them with a HoF coach. The Pats got lucky they drafted the previous best QB in the game and paired them with a HoF coach.

How is that not luck lmao? Drafting HoF players in the second and third and fifth rounds is luck. 

I don’t think they came out of the box as ‘best qb in the game’. That came from development from the staff and them working hard individually. Just attributing it to luck seems like discrediting all involved.

I’m with you that it does take some luck to win a superbowl. But when a team has done it multiple times in a short period they’ve figured something out beyond just luck. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.