Gordon Lightfoot passed away at 84

PastaJoe

Thumbs up to all you guys who think this guy was special.

Simply great, thoughtful music.

Additional info that I'm sure you don't care to know.

Total coincidence.

The day before he died, April 30 was my wife and my 40th anniversary.

I had donated to a local oldies station and they responded, asking me if I wanted any requests.

I told them to play "Beautiful" in the time frame we would be driving to our dinner reservation.

Sure enough they announced our first names and our anniversary while we were sitting at a traffic light, and played the song.

The Mrs. thought it was pretty cool.

Doing little things keeps a marriage alive.

Regards.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/3/2023 at 5:36 AM, Draconator said:

I have a friend who is a studio musician in Toronto. He played keyboards and Hammond Organ on one of Gordon's records. Apparently, Gordon was very meticulous about instruments being in tune. He was known to tune a piano if he felt it was out. He would do multiple takes of each song, and keep the tape of all the takes. Even if he felt a take of a song was perfect, he would say, "Great job boys. That was perfect. Let's do it again". 

In the video below his drummer Barry Keane tells the story of the tape used for the release of The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald. They were in studio doing a recording session and Gordon was talking about how he was almost finished with a song he had been working on about the wreck. One of the crew said why don't we give it a try now. Gordon agreed. Barry asked when he should come in, Gordon said he'd nod his head. Fortunately, they recorded the take as it was used for the release. Tried several times to improve on it but the first practice session tape was used for the release.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:44 AM, SoTier said:

Prime Video offers a documentary from 2020 that I watched during the pandemic:  "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind".  It was excellent. You can rent it now for $2.18.

Watched it last nite, thanks for the tip!

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Steve O said:

In the video below his drummer Barry Keane tells the story of the tape used for the release of The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald. They were in studio doing a recording session and Gordon was talking about how he was almost finished with a song he had been working on about the wreck. One of the crew said why don't we give it a try now. Gordon agreed. Barry asked when he should come in, Gordon said he'd nod his head. Fortunately, they recorded the take as it was used for the release. Tried several times to improve on it but the first practice session tape was used for the release.

Watched it last nite, thanks for the tip!

You're welcome.   It's great to know there are so many of us Lightfoot fans around ... although most of us are probably on the really really wrong side of thirty.

• Like (+1) 2

The guy could write a novel in a song. 

The Wreck is one, If You Could Read My Mind and  the less known "Don Quixote"  are others.

Musical arrangements aside, which are brilliant, his lyrics are beyond anything currently being produced.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.