Around the Horn

This may be the most infuriating show on television. There is so much wrong with it that if i listed everything, this would turn into one of "Fake-Fat-Sunnys" posts. But really, first of all, who the hell is StatBoy to have control over muting ANYONE? How does he get that "power"? Second, could they possibly pick 4 bigger jackasses as the regulars? They are more concerned with taking potshots at each other than making an actual point about sports. Also, when somone "loses" and gets kicked off, you don't notice any difference, as mentioned above, it's just one less moron to try to be funny making insults. (see, if they were really sports analysts, ESPN would let us get to hear them for all 30 minutes, not kick them off one at a time). Finally, why does stat boy get to mute someone? (yeah, I know, a repeat, but its soooo frigging annoying).

My idea? Extend PTI for an extra half hour.

Sorry, but I haven't had a LAMP in a while :huh:

I'm with you... ATH is so bad that is actually deters me from watching PTI sometimes! If i'm sitting at the tv at 4:55, i'll usually end up picking an hour show from the guide and totally forget to turn it over at 5:30, simply because just a second of that show will make me want to murder. One redeaming quality of the show is that stat boy is less of a RICHARD than the original host.

I'd love to have PTI be an hour long. It's very unique in its format which allows it to be easily extended to 1 full hour without a dropoff in quality.

edit: why are you posting this at 5:45am? Was it actually on then, or does your roommate have a season pass or whatever alelphia's equivelant is?

This may be the most infuriating show on television. There is so much wrong with it that if i listed everything, this would turn into one of "Fake-Fat-Sunnys" posts. But really, first of all, who the hell is StatBoy to have control over muting ANYONE? How does he get that "power"? Second, could they possibly pick 4 bigger jackasses as the regulars? They are more concerned with taking potshots at each other than making an actual point about sports.  Also, when somone "loses" and gets kicked off, you don't notice any difference, as mentioned above, it's just one less moron to try to be funny making insults. (see, if they were really sports analysts, ESPN would let us get to hear them for all 30 minutes, not kick them off one at a time). Finally, why does stat boy get to mute someone? (yeah, I know, a repeat, but its soooo frigging annoying).

My idea? Extend PTI for an extra half hour.

Sorry, but I haven't had a LAMP in a while :huh:

346156[/snapback]

I think that you hit the nail on the head. I don't understand the scoring? It's trying to be an edgy cross between PTI and Jim Rome is burning (which is another show that should be cut). When I get home I flip on one of the ESPN channels. I can't watch that show, I'll go to ESPN news untill it's over.

Jeff

Lets face facts. E$PN does not cater to a lot of the kinds of fans who are on this board. You know, the fans where the actual games are the show, not what happens off the field, not what Jay Mariotti says. And I agree, that Around the Horn show gives me a headache after 5 minutes and is a complete waste.

I bet a lot of the fans E$PN caters to considers Sportscenter to be the ultimate source of sports coverage. To me that show is a bunch of garbage, a show about who can come up with the best line vs reporting about the actual sporting event.

Its a joke.

I remember watching that during March Madness 2003. Woody Paige picked Syracuse to lose every game against the awesome Big XII teams. After the final 4 they went on a week vacation and never talked college hoops again. Haven't seen the show since.

I also remember listening to Jay Mariotti's radio show on weekend mornings for "OneonOne Sports" years ago. He had zero sense of humor. Now all of the sudden he's a comedian. It's pretty obvious they are given scripts on ATH.

Mariotti is just way too loud. Cow**** is just way too boring.

They should just have Bayless, Steve FNA Smith, Mariotti and someone else on there.

ESPN is the sux0r.

:doh:

The only halfway decent show is da Schwabbie. I can't believe that tubsy messed up Richie Sexson and Jeremy Burnitz.

:huh:

It's not that bad; Woody Paige is amusing and to me he carries the show for without him it would be very dry at times...

346177[/snapback]

i agree.

i also liked the other host better. the boxing "expert" that used to do the boxing fights.

but he got a better show.

i've not watched Around the Horn for quite sometime. Maybe a year or so. I caught some of it a couple months ago flipping thru the channels. They did one good thing by getting rid of that cocky assclown host, i forget his name. but they just replaced him with a dorky assclown

But from what i've seen, ATH is a televised circle jerk. 5 grown men talking out their ass for 22 minutes. you'll find more insightful dialog during the FedEx Arrggggggh! commercial

ESPN lost the rights to showing Magic (the geeky card/role playing game) tournaments so they had to fill the time.

One night at about 3 AM they actually had a Magic tournament on!

i agree.

i also liked the other host better. the boxing "expert" that used to do the boxing fights.

but he got a better show.

346221[/snapback]

If you mean "I, Max" then you might be interested to know that the show sucked and has been cancelled.

I used to watch ATH back in the Max Kellerman days, but I never actually liked it, just tried to kill time before PTI.

It would be nice if ESPN spent more time going into games and showing game highlights than just discussing controversial topics. PTI being the lone exception of a good version of what they over do.

You know what makes it even worse? Not only do they have a solid two-hour block of talkfest in the afternoon (of which PTI makes the only useful contribution), not only are they showing dreck like "Teammates" and "Bowling Night" in primetime... but now, they've taken their BEST shows (Outside the Lines, Baseball Tonight, NFL Live, etc.), chopped them to 20 minutes each, and dumped them into a post-midnight slot.

If I was Bob Ley, I'd be close to giving up on the "Worldwide Leader". He must hate what has happened to ESPN in the last few years; I know I do....

You know what makes it even worse? Not only do they have a solid two-hour block of talkfest in the afternoon (of which PTI makes the only useful contribution), not only are they showing dreck like "Teammates" and "Bowling Night" in primetime... but now, they've taken their BEST shows (Outside the Lines, Baseball Tonight, NFL Live, etc.), chopped them to 20 minutes each, and dumped them into a post-midnight slot.

If I was Bob Ley, I'd be close to giving up on the "Worldwide Leader". He must hate what has happened to ESPN in the last few years; I know I do....

346516[/snapback]

don't forget their new gameshow Stump the Shizzle

or for that matter anything with Stuart Shizzle

PTI is a great show...ATH can piss me off because the format is way too scripted and i dont get it...the writers get points for stating the obvious and in the showdown, its basically pick who does stat boy ant to win...

I miss having baseball tonight at 7-8 and then again at 10...that show is great because of the depth they go into about the games...at least when its an hour long...

don't forget their new gameshow Stump the Shizzle

or for that matter anything with Stuart Shizzle

346533[/snapback]

I'm enough of a trivia geek to be amused by the Schwab. (But c'mon, how could he forget Dave Krieg as the QB Derrick Thomas sacked 7 times... and still threw the TD pass on the final play to beat the Chiefs in that game, while DT was one step away from sack #8?)

Still, they're showing this in PRIME TIME? Ptooey.