Around the Horn

I miss having baseball tonight at 7-8 and then again at 10...that show is great because of the depth they go into about the games...at least when its an hour long...

346553[/snapback]

Eggzactly. They've gone too far into the "Entertainment" part of their moniker, and as a result, they're skimping on the "Sports" programming.

And when Skip freakin' Bayless is the new voice of ESPN, the End Times are surely upon us. (I just know that's somewhere in Revelations.... :huh: )

I'm enough of a trivia geek to be amused by the Schwab. (But c'mon, how could he forget Dave Krieg as the QB Derrick Thomas sacked 7 times... and still threw the TD pass on the final play to beat the Chiefs in that game, while DT was one step away from sack #8?)

Still, they're showing this in PRIME TIME? Ptooey.

346556[/snapback]

It *IS* a slow sports period, especially minus the NHL, which took up a significant portion of ESPN's programming schedule.

ESPN needs  more soccer...

346619[/snapback]

Dear friend from Lewiston, I can't think of a more boring sport than soccer. Now having said that, I also say that adding a soccer highlight show and removing ATH and Jim Rome is Burning would get my vote.

Jeff

It *IS* a slow sports period, especially minus the NHL, which took up a significant portion of ESPN's programming schedule.

346566[/snapback]

Reminds me of a wisecrack Josh Mora made on a Sports Report, after Empire had dropped the FSN affiliation and was showing stuff like roller derby and Lafayette football - he ended a Friday night show by saying something along the lines of, "tune in this weekend for all the best in minor league sports" ...

Couldn't help but be reminded of that by ESPN's recent programming. But even without the NHL (and don't even get me started on that mess), there's still too much NBA playoff / MLB news to to dump shows like "Baseball Tonight" and "NBA Shootaround" into 20-minute, post-midnight slots.

Just my opinion...

346566[/snapback]

Yeah, now Thursday night (the only night GUARANTEED an NHL game) needs to be filled with more blowhards screaming at each other. Way to go ESPN. Remember the last time you watched SportsCenter? I don't.

Yeah, now Thursday night (the only night GUARANTEED an NHL game) needs to be filled with more blowhards screaming at each other.  Way to go ESPN.  Remember the last time you watched SportsCenter?  I don't.

346655[/snapback]

I listen to ESPN Radio now. Sportscenter every 10 minutes.

I like just about everybody BUT Dan Patrick.

I listen to ESPN Radio now. Sportscenter every 10 minutes.

I like just about everybody BUT Dan Patrick.

346671[/snapback]

Patrick's show us UBER-boring. I can't believe they canned Dibble. He was the only reason to bother tuning in for that show.

Patrick's show us UBER-boring.  I can't believe they canned Dibble.  He was the only reason to bother tuning in for that show.

346680[/snapback]

I don't get to hear Patrick a lot, unless I am off on a weekday for some reason, but I thought I had noticed a lack of Dibbleness the last few times I did hear. Was he canned? Any idea why? I guess I have been remiss in my ESPN duties. Is he still on "Baseball 2Night" (or whatever the hell they call their televised nightly rap up)? I always liked Dibble on that show. Patrick by himself sounds like way too much self-love for my taste!

Anyway, I rarely watch ESPN anymore, unless it is football season. I do like ESPN Classic, but even that is getting way too self-promoting and repetitive. ESPN is getting very tired!

PTI should be 24/7 on ESPN when there isn't a sports game.

Make sportscenter become PTI. All of it! ESPN News = 24 hour PTI network!

Then, clone Tony and Wilbon so they can be on 24/7.

Ah, now THATS how I want to get my sports news. =p

I don't get to hear Patrick a lot, unless I am off on a weekday for some reason, but I thought I had noticed a lack of Dibbleness the last few times I did hear.  Was he canned?  Any idea why?  I guess I have been remiss in my ESPN duties.  Is he still on "Baseball 2Night" (or whatever the hell they call their televised nightly rap up)?  I always liked Dibble on that show.  Patrick by himself sounds like way too much self-love for my taste!

Anyway, I rarely watch ESPN anymore, unless it is football season.  I do like ESPN Classic, but even that is getting way too self-promoting and repetitive.  ESPN is getting very tired!

346820[/snapback]

No clue what happened - could have been Dibble's decision for all I know. I haven't watched BB Tonight this season so I can't answer that question either. I know I hate radio here from 9-12 because the choices are Rush, Dan Patrick, or Err Moronica.

Sad.

No clue what happened - could have been Dibble's decision for all I know.  I haven't watched BB Tonight this season so I can't answer that question either.  I know I hate radio here from 9-12 because the choices are Rush, Dan Patrick, or Err Moronica. 

Sad.

346824[/snapback]

Here, those are our 11am choices. We also get Jim Rome at that time. I can't stand any of them...I prefer the more low-key evening personalities. Do you get FOX Sports Radio? I really like their overnight show, with George Sedano. Not sure he would be your cup of tea, but they balance humour and sports news about as well as anyone on sports radio, that I have heard.

I used to really like Bob Kemp on Sporting News radio, but he did a "I'm mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore" routine one night, never to be heard from again...that was about 3 years ago! :lol:

Here, those are our 11am choices.  We also get Jim Rome at that time.  I can't stand any of them...I prefer the more low-key evening personalities.  Do you get FOX Sports Radio?  I really like their overnight show, with George Sedano.  Not sure he would be your cup of tea, but they balance humour and sports news about as well as anyone on sports radio, that I have heard. 

I used to really like Bob Kemp on Sporting News radio, but he did a "I'm mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore" routine one night, never to be heard from again...that was about 3 years ago! :lol:

346836[/snapback]

I liked Bob Kemp - we don't have any competing sports radio here and the idiot satellite radio companies don't offer their service in Alaska (even though they do work here).

My favorite is around 7:00 when the choices are things like "Phil Hendry," "The Savage Nation," and Mariners baseball. Brutal. At least the station that carries "Err Moronica" during the week carries Yankee Baseball on the weekend, though I could do without the constant between innings barrage of "please send us money so we can keep our liberal radio running."

We used to have Sporting News radio which was pretty good. Papa Joe was on from 3-6PM which was pretty sweet. Of course, the guy that owned them was a crook and they went under (not that it matters much because Papa left SNR not long after).

I liked Bob Kemp - we don't have any competing sports radio here and the idiot satellite radio companies don't offer their service in Alaska (even though they do work here). 

My favorite is around 7:00 when the choices are things like "Phil Hendry," "The Savage Nation," and Mariners baseball.  Brutal.  At least the station that carries "Err Moronica" during the week carries Yankee Baseball on the weekend, though I could do without the constant between innings barrage of "please send us money so we can keep our liberal radio running."

We used to have Sporting News radio which was pretty good.  Papa Joe was on from 3-6PM which was pretty sweet.  Of course, the guy that owned them was a crook and they went under (not that it matters much because Papa left SNR not long after).

346848[/snapback]

Actually, SPNR is still around, I listen to it on the internet from time to time. You can access it through the front page of Two Bills Drive. It must be with different management, but they still have a lot of the same people, icluding Arnie Spanner, who is so sincerely moronic, I find him amusing at times...James Brown (of FOX football studio show) is their hight profile guy. Troy Aikman has a show as well, althought that may only be during football season. I could have sworn Papa Joe was still on there as well, but I may be wrong.

As far as Err Moronica goes, we just recently started getting it here in Austin. Like all political talk radio, I can only take it in small doses. I can't stand Al Franken, or Paula whatsherface (she is so awful, I can't even remember her name at the moment), but I must say, I do sort of like their Sunday evening lineup. Bobby Kennedy has a show. His whole slant is that of a radical enviormentalist, and "progressive". Although he gives the current adminstration its' fair share of criticism on enviormental issues, his criticisms are a bit more balanced, plenty of criticism to go around to all ends of the political spectrum. I also like that he offers non-partisan solutions. I also like the British chick on Sunday nights. Sorry, the station is relatively new here, so I haven't everyone down yet...Franken, although I agree with him at times, is just not a radio personality at all. He is just hard to listen to...

Also, when somone "loses" and gets kicked off, you don't notice any difference, as mentioned above, it's just one less moron to try to be funny making insults

346156[/snapback]

well, there is a little difference

when they start with 4 guys, they each have 15 seconds to talk out their arse

when the first guy is booted, the other 3 get 5 more seconds (20) to talk out their arse. thats a 33% improvement!

then the next guy is booted, the other 2 get 10 seconds more (30) to talk out their arse. thats a 50% improvement, and double their original time!

and the winner gets a whole minute! thats twice the length of the FedEx Arrrrrrgh! commercial, which i find much more insightful than Around the Horn