Snowboarder Rescued, this guy is very lucky

Greybeard

Tree wells are some dangerous stuff. If you get inverted like that it’s something like 90+% will be unable to free themselves. At my age, I stick to inbounds stuff but looks like the boarder broke the cardinal rule of skiing with a partner in the trees. (The “rescuer” also lost sight of his partner 😬)

• Agree 1

Can one of you, who happens to be a skier, explain what happened?  I understand they call this a spruce trap.  I expected that to be an empty spot by the tree, where if you fell in and your skis were up, you got suspended and couldn't invert yourself.  I did not expect to see someone buried like that.

50 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

My phone is terrible and can't get video to play. Is this where the skier saw part of a board sticking out of the snow?

Yes, it is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Can one of you, who happens to be a skier, explain what happened?  I understand they call this a spruce trap.  I expected that to be an empty spot by the tree, where if you fell in and your skis were up, you got suspended and couldn't invert yourself.  I did not expect to see someone buried like that.

Yes, it is.

That’s exactly what it is and why they are so dangerous. It “looks” like the snow is hard packed around there but it’s not so it’s easy to fall in and get stuck 

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How on earth do you end up like that?

Getting too close to a tree well. Big snow will form a tree well... Like literally falling into a well.

Snowboarders can't release from their bindings as easy as skiers... Even worse if inverted I suppose. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.