Masters fans-anyone see Cameron Young on 13?

Steve O

His second shot on 13 went a little wild so he hit what he thought was a provisional. He then found his second shot in a penalty area and took relief under the 2 club length from point of entry option and finished out the hole from there. Problem is one of the relief options from a penalty area is to play from your original position. So his relief had already been taken and he no longer had the other (point of entry) options. Pretty sure you'll see him get DQ'd.

Similar thing happened to a local kid, Gavin Hall, in the Korn Ferry tour qualifier last year. Only difference was, after playing what he thought was a provisional, he found his original in a penalty area and played it where it layed, in the penalty area. He made par and signed for a 66, then found out he got DQ'd as he had already taken relief and no longer had the option of playing the original.

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Steve O said:

His second shot on 13 went a little wild so he hit what he thought was a provisional. He then found his second shot in a penalty area and took relief under the 2 club length from point of entry option and finished out the hole from there. Problem is one of the relief options from a penalty area is to play from your original position. So his relief had already been taken and he no longer had the other (point of entry) options. Pretty sure you'll see him get DQ'd.

Similar thing happened to a local kid, Gavin Hall, in the Korn Ferry tour qualifier last year. Only difference was, after playing what he thought was a provisional, he found his original in a penalty area and played it where it layed, in the penalty area. He made par and signed for a 66, then found out he got DQ'd as he had already taken relief and no longer had the option of playing the original.

This is where having a sharp caddie comes into play. I didn't see it but I'll have the Masters on today. I Did see the clip where the tree's just suddenly came down though... talk about random.

Hoping Mickelson makes a push...

59 minutes ago, Steve O said:

image.thumb.jpeg.197e788c8cfe942f4c2211f7d842ae82.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 5

4 hours ago, T&C said:

This is where having a sharp caddie comes into play. I didn't see it but I'll have the Masters on today. I Did see the clip where the tree's just suddenly came down though... talk about random.

Hoping Mickelson makes a push...

Or better yet, not having your playing partner's caddie be familiar with the rules. Do a search on Gavin Hall disqualified. A guy in his group's caddie sought out a rules official after the round, shortly after Gavin was DQ'd.Tried posting a link but this is what I get

Excruciating DQ hour after round ends pro's Q-School run (golf.com)

At this point Young is still playing so either I missed something or no one noticed the violation.

Edited by Steve O

7 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Or better yet, not having your playing partner's caddie be familiar with the rules. Do a search on Gavin Hall disqualified. A guy in his group's caddie sought out a rules official after the round, shortly after Gavin was DQ'd.Tried posting a link but this is what I get

I'll look for it when I get back from the store. 

I've been watching here https://www.masters.com/en_US/live/index.html till the CBS coverage kicks in.

36 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Found the article. That's a hard way to go for sure... I always thought that amateurs went through some sort of rules school regimen.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/golfer-receives-brutal-disqualification-at-korn-ferry-tour-q-school

Edited by T&C
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2023 at 10:16 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.197e788c8cfe942f4c2211f7d842ae82.jpeg

My foot wedge is pretty harmless. When they start talking how much we are going to gamble, I mention that it will be my intent to cheat at every possible opportunity. That usually takes some steam out of the gambling talk.  🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry, I'm late on this one.  As the rule is written, it doesn't matter that the ball was in the penalty area.  I don't know the area in question, but if the players thought it was possible that the ball could be lost but still in the non-penalty area, the provisional is allowed.  I'm picturing a scenario where you're not sure whether or not the ball actually made it into the pond, you're allowed to hit the provisional as long as you announce it.

That q-school story though, that sounds like a major screw job.  Even if they all saw the splash, I think you could still put up a reasonable argument that it's possible the ball skipped or ricocheted off a rock back beyond the stakes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.