Favorite car detail products

Joe Ferguson forever

On nice days I like to wash and wax my car.  Wax on, wax off...I think I do a better job than the drive thru although those are getting really good.  What are your fav products for washing/waxing.  I used dawn dish soap to wash and Turtle Wax Ice Seal and Shine to wax today.  Did a nice job but I must have used up the stuff I applied wet last time and washed off.  Was actually better and easier.  Any recommendations?

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

On nice days I like to wash and wax my car.  Wax on, wax off...I think I do a better job than the drive thru although those are getting really good.  What are your fav products for washing/waxing.  I used dawn dish soap to wash and Turtle Wax Ice Seal and Shine to wax today.  Did a nice job but I must have used up the stuff I applied wet last time and washed off.  Was actually better and easier.  Any recommendations?

I’m curious to know more about what you refer to as going on wet and washing off. Is that like a sealant/spot preventer after washing and waxing? Like that last phase in the drive thru car wash? 

The drive thru car washes around us barely touch my nasty tires. They get the body of the car “just OK”, but the rims are grimy! There is a Car Spa that is more detailed, but I don’t want to sit in their lobby that long. Guys in the parking garage where the wife works was awesome! And convenient as it gets. But they moved on after a few years. 

I used to “detail cars” in the neighborhood as a kid before that was a thing. We washed and waxed your car, and did a pretty good job IMO. Did the tires, Windex for windows and mirrors, vacuumed, etc. We not only made good money for young kids, but there was something soothing and satisfying about it, like when you finish cutting the grass and edging everything. It’s a good feeling. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m curious to know more about what you refer to as going on wet and washing off. Is that like a sealant/spot preventer after washing and waxing? Like that last phase in the drive thru car wash? 

The drive thru car washes around us barely touch my nasty tires. They get the body of the car “just OK”, but the rims are grimy! There is a Car Spa that is more detailed, but I don’t want to sit in their lobby that long. Guys in the parking garage where the wife works was awesome! And convenient as it gets. But they moved on after a few years. 

I used to “detail cars” in the neighborhood as a kid before that was a thing. We washed and waxed your car, and did a pretty good job IMO. Did the tires, Windex for windows and mirrors, vacuumed, etc. We not only made good money for young kids, but there was something soothing and satisfying about it, like when you finish cutting the grass and edging everything. It’s a good feeling. 

absolutely.  Instant gratification!  like cutting new stripes with a lawn mower.

I think the wash off product was either turtle wax or Meguiere (?sp) and it was a wax.  not sure about the sealant part.  It looked really sharp and I'm doing my wife's 2012 Buick regal so it's a good test.  Didn't last long but easy....

the wax I used today is supposed to last months, whatever that means.  But not as sparkly.  The factory paint job was metallic black and nice so I think it should really pop.  wondering if a buffer on a drill and some carnauba will be better than the new fangled stuff.

Edited by redtail hawk

8 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

absolutely.  Instant gratification!  like cutting new stripes with a lawn mower.

I think the wash off product was either turtle wax or Meguiere (?sp) and it was a wax.  not sure about the sealant part.  It looked really sharp and I'm doing my wife's 2012 Buick regal so it's a good test.  Didn't last long but easy....

the wax I used today is supposed to last months, whatever that means.  But not as sparkly.  The factory paint job was metallic black and nice so I think it should reallyy pop.  wondering if a buffer on a drill and some carnauba will be better than the new fangled stuff.

I don’t think I have hand waxed, or had someone else hand wax, a car since I’ve been an adult. (We were poor in the beginning!)  I’m not picky about cars (I’ll drive them forever and let the dogs make a mess shedding on the way to the park or the vet) and it doesn’t need to be perfect. We take the wife’s SUV if we have people or need to arrive sans fur coating. 

My finish is dull though. It’s supposed to warm up next week, so I may give it a shot for old times sake and see if I can get my 2014 Avalon to look a little happier. The wife wanted to replace it, but I will have NONE of that. The dogs and I have broken it in properly. Why start ruining a different car? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I don’t think I have hand waxed, or had someone else hand wax, a car since I’ve been an adult. (We were poor in the beginning!)  I’m not picky about cars (I’ll drive them forever and let the dogs make a mess shedding on the way to the park or the vet) and it doesn’t need to be perfect. We take the wife’s SUV if we have people or need to arrive sans fur coating. 

My finish is dull though. It’s supposed to warm up next week, so I may give it a shot for old times sake and see if I can get my 2014 Avalon to look a little happier. The wife wanted to replace it, but I will have NONE of that. The dogs and I have broken it in properly. Why start ruining a different car? 

run'm til they die!  the buick blew the turbo (6 sp manual GS stealth car) and its bits got sucked into the engine so we replaced the engine last year.  Pretty certain it was the right decision.

Amazing that the body holds up so well and I want to keep it that way.  But I enjoy doing it myself for the satisfaction, as you say.  I wouldn't be opposed to using a buffer at all but gotta think the new compounds are more protective.  Don't know.

6 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

run'm til they die!  the buick blew the turbo (6 sp manual GS stealth car) and its bits got sucked into the engine so we replaced the engine last year.  Pretty certain it was the right decision.

Amazing that the body holds up so well and I want to keep it that way.  But I enjoy doing it myself for the satisfaction, as you say.  I wouldn't be opposed to using a buffer at all but gotta think the new compounds are more protective.  Don't know.

I’ve got about 100k miles on my Toyota, and she has about 10k more on her Lexus SUV. We feel like we should replace one now, because it would suck to replace two at the same time. BUT WHY? We’ve never had any trouble with either. I have my “things” in life, stuff I’m into and I’m willing to spend for. Cars cannot see the top of the list from where they sit. Just be reliable. 

Side Note: I think I got that way living and working in a bank in Hilton Head, SC right after college. I saw a LOT of people driving beautiful cars that were….as I learned, 30-60 days behind on payments. They get to drive their fancy car out to dinner one more night, hoping the credit card wasn’t declined. Those were people aggressively living on the edge. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve got about 100k miles on my Toyota, and she has about 10k more on her Lexus SUV. We feel like we should replace one now, because it would suck to replace two at the same time. BUT WHY? We’ve never had any trouble with either. I have my “things” in life, stuff I’m into and I’m willing to spend for. Cars cannot see the top of the list from where they sit. Just be reliable. 

Side Note: I think I got that way living and working in a bank in Hilton Head, SC right after college. I saw a LOT of people driving beautiful cars that were….as I learned, 30-60 days behind on payments. They get to drive their fancy car out to dinner one more night, hoping the credit card wasn’t declined. Those were people aggressively living on the edge. 

Yup. All hat and no cattle ain't no way to live.  There must be some posters who are into cars and detailing though.

I would get rid of that dawn dish detergent.  That's not made for washing your car.

There are about 100 million specialty car products out there from many different brands that offer everything you need.

Also, not sure how often you truly wax your car, but if you're doing it more than MAYBE once or twice a YEAR, you are simply putting wax on top of wax.  Which doesn't hurt your car, but it doesn't help protect it anymore than it already is, as well. 

And washing/waxing cars by hand, though necessary, is a pain in the ass! 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t drive anything fancy but I try to take care of it.  I’ve used “Nu Finish” soft paste in the orange can for years. Wax it before winter and when things warm up in the spring.  Easy on/off and it seems to protect the finish well. My car is a 2015 and looks like new.

• Like (+1) 1

i've always liked liquid glass as a final polish for certain colors.  it's just a great last step.

i'm getting lazier, so i love the product where you spray the foam on the tire and let it dry.  it's such a nice shine, but my god does it stain the driveway.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I would get rid of that dawn dish detergent.  That's not made for washing your car.

There are about 100 million specialty car products out there from many different brands that offer everything you need.

Also, not sure how often you truly wax your car, but if you're doing it more than MAYBE once or twice a YEAR, you are simply putting wax on top of wax.  Which doesn't hurt your car, but it doesn't help protect it anymore than it already is, as well. 

I wondered about that.  because it's designed to remove grease, it removes wax.  So my thinking is that it will remove dull or cloudy wax and start anew  https://www.carwashcountry.com/dawn-dish-soap-safe-cars/

Not sure if that's correct though.

So if I want to go all in, is it worth using paste wax and a buffer?  Will that give a better shine than the hybrid compounds?

Reading the linked article it looks like this might be worth a try:  https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-liquid-wax-long-lasting-easy-use-synthetic-wax-g210516-16-oz.  I'm looking for the shine shown on the package but will I get it?

Edited by redtail hawk

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That's good to know. I try to keep my car looking nice-ish, so I end up putting a couple layers of wax on my car starting in the fall, prepping for the winter salt, so  sometimes on a "warm" days in the winter, I will wash the salt off my car but if the lines at the car wash are too long, I just hand wash my car at home with dawn dish soap thinking that if it's safe for ducks its safe for my car and wont take off the wax...I guess not lol

https://youtube.com/@apexdetail85. Apex Detail

I've learned a lot from his videos. I did a whole correction on my 99 Jeep. Dish soap to strip,  Iron remover, clay bar, polish and ceramic finish.  The finish went from low 80s on the Gloss meter to mid to high 90s. Pretty good for 24 years old.  I used generic clay bars, Adams iron remover, Sonax polish and Turtle wax ceramic. This guy below has a fun channel and picked the Turtle Wax hybrid after watching his testing video.  

Edited by jayg
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jayg said:

https://youtube.com/@apexdetail85. Apex Detail

I've learned a lot from his videos. I did a whole correction on my 99 Jeep. Dish soap to strip,  Iron remover, clay bar, polish and ceramic finish.  The finish went from low 80s on the Gloss meter to mid to high 90s. Pretty good for 24 years old.  I used generic clay bars, Adams iron remover, Sonax polish and Turtle wax ceramic. This guy below has a fun channel and picked the Turtle Wax hybrid after watching his testing video.  

did you do two coats of the hybrid?  I see they have a product specially for black cars.  Looks good!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.