SB LVll Game Thread: Eagles VS Chiefs

T&C

It was noble of the Eagles player to admit he held. And he did hold.

But when they say you can call holding on every play, that's what they're talking about.  Officials have to change their standard in final minutes of a title game.  If it's borderline, or doesn't affect the outcome of a play - just let them play.  You simply do not throw a flag there.

That crew would have flagged holding on the helmet catch, or blown the play dead before Eli even threw the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, mannc said:

No, it was not a hold.  

14 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Don’t call that! Bradberry said it was because it was and he didn’t want a fine and he wants to move on, 

But the ref just can’t call it. It was so soft, and so out of place for the flow of the game. And it absolutely ended the Super Bowl. Don’t call that foul. 

Hand full-of-shirt hold.  And that was with the other hand.  Started with his Left hand on his back.  Finished with the right hand on the jersey.  That's a hold all day long.

image.png.278efe891b1f76c491249c91436a91fa.pngimage.png.a4d886fac070188c647da207b351329f.png

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hand full-of-shirt hold.  And that was with the other hand.  Started with his Left hand on his back.  Finished with the right hand on the jersey.  That's a hold all day long.

image.png.278efe891b1f76c491249c91436a91fa.pngimage.png.a4d886fac070188c647da207b351329f.png

this was related to my videos that people are looking at the wrong angle. The hold was ticky tack call.

AGAIN

did the hold impede the WR rout, direction or slow him down? the answer to all of these is no. easy. If a player for a split second grasps a jersey and does not impede anything should it be called a hold? no. CAN IT BE? Yes...

ALL DAY LONG>? HECK NO

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

this was related to my videos that people are looking at the wrong angle. The hold was ticky tack call.

AGAIN

did the hold impede the WR rout, direction or slow him down? the answer to all of these is no. easy. If a player for a split second grasps a jersey and does not impede anything should it be called a hold? no. CAN IT BE? Yes...

ALL DAY LONG>? HECK NO

He held his hip with the left hand, pulled his jersey with the right.  per the rule; "defensive holding is defined as having occurred when “a player grasps an eligible offensive player (or his jersey) with his hands, or extends an arm or arms to cut off or encircle him.”

I don't know what "my videos" mean, but those 2 pictures are from 2 distinctly different angles. 

It's clearly a hold, they called it correctly and the defender admitted he held.   There's really nothing else to say.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He held his hip with the left hand, pulled his jersey with the right.  per the rule; "defensive holding is defined as having occurred when “a player grasps an eligible offensive player (or his jersey) with his hands, or extends an arm or arms to cut off or encircle him.”

I don't know what "my videos" mean, but those 2 pictures are from 2 distinctly different angles. 

It's clearly a hold, they called it correctly and the defender admitted he held.   There's really nothing else to say.

Nobody is arguing that it wasn't a hold. The argument is they were letting it go all game but decided to call it at a crucial time in the game. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Nobody is arguing that it wasn't a hold. The argument is they were letting it go all game but decided to call it at a crucial time in the game. 

Scroll up—of course they are.  

you are assuming that refs were willfully ignoring as opposed to missing calls.  They missed an earlier one on the Eagles first half.  I don’t buy that. 

The defender put 2 hands in the guy.  That’s going to get called.  

I will buy that that route on press coverage is more hold-inducing than say a DB playing five yards off and the WR running a quick out. So the Chiefs ran it knowing a hold was in the cards. But I say again, LET THEM PLAY! If the DB knocked him down, fine. But there’s grabbing almost every time a WR make cuts with a DB draped all over him. It’s almost impossible for a DB not to instinctually put his hands on the WR in all those situations. It happens all game long. It would just be insanity if the refs called it every time or if TV replayed every non call.

In that situation, it was very tricky tack. Easy no call. No one’s complaining on the Chiefs, Mahomes isn’t one to dwell, he’s onto the next play. And let’s have a better ending to a great game. It wasn’t a big enough call to match the moment. So stuff it, ref. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.