Old Bills ≠ New Bills

Hermes

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

What I’m trying to say is enjoy this ride we are on. 

Exactly. The team as it stands is going to be in the running for a Superbowl for the next 10-15 years. There's no reason to get depressed because they "missed their window", it's still wide open.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Of course comparing this regime to past ones is stupid!  

But good luck enjoying those 50+ Super Bowl victories before you die.

You must be young.  Wait a while!  Soon you'll be begging for one before you die too.

😂

I've been a fan through the whole playoff drought and while the seasons as a whole wasn't the most fun after October most years, I still thoroughly enjoyed the offseason and drafts. The NFL does a good job keeping fans, even of crappy teams, entertained

11 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

We need Thurman Thomas.

In this year's draft I don't expect there will be a round-one-rated Olineman or WR fall to the Bills. That being said, the Bills will have a shot to draft a top-five talent in Bijan Robinson. Adding Robinson to a backfield with Josh Allen might be illegal. If Robinson falls to 20, I would go so far as to trade up for him. GO BILLS!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

16 hours ago, Hermes said:

I get that a lot of Bills fans love to reminisce about the old days and Kelly and the K-gun and the great D with Bruce and HOF caliber players all over the field. But this incessant nonsense comparing the team now to a team that played together 30 years ago IS A JOKE.

Get over your nostalgia and live in the moment. The Bills weren't good enough this year. It's that simple.  I'm so sick of people trying to justify the fact that they weren't the best team in NFL by the fact that 30 years ago things 'felt' similar. 

As much as the next guy/gal I want to see the Bills take the next step to win a championship and win a Superbowl it wasn't their year.

It sucks.

We've all here spent countless hours on TSW and are frustrated. However, saying this team can only follow a specific path to glory is asinine. The team has talent and with some upgrades here and there (OL, WR, etc) will be in the thick of things for years to come.

How many people have said 1 B4 I die!? Unless your 70+ years old what kind of sick joke is that. I want to see 50+ before I die and hope I live past 80 years old so I can see them all! 

So many Bills fans are so scared to let go of the past and it's infuriating.  If you can't let go of the past how can you grasp

the future.

The Bills didn't live up to expectations this year, how many of you can say the same. 

😉

Infuriating?  Like you pace the floor at night in a blind rage?

• Haha (+1) 3

16 hours ago, Hermes said:

I get that a lot of Bills fans love to reminisce about the old days and Kelly and the K-gun and the great D with Bruce and HOF caliber players all over the field. But this incessant nonsense comparing the team now to a team that played together 30 years ago IS A JOKE.

Get over your nostalgia and live in the moment. The Bills weren't good enough this year. It's that simple.  I'm so sick of people trying to justify the fact that they weren't the best team in NFL by the fact that 30 years ago things 'felt' similar. 

As much as the next guy/gal I want to see the Bills take the next step to win a championship and win a Superbowl it wasn't their year.

It sucks.

We've all here spent countless hours on TSW and are frustrated. However, saying this team can only follow a specific path to glory is asinine. The team has talent and with some upgrades here and there (OL, WR, etc) will be in the thick of things for years to come.

How many people have said 1 B4 I die!? Unless your 70+ years old what kind of sick joke is that. I want to see 50+ before I die and hope I live past 80 years old so I can see them all! 

So many Bills fans are so scared to let go of the past and it's infuriating.  If you can't let go of the past how can you grasp

the future.

The Bills didn't live up to expectations this year, how many of you can say the same. 

😉

They probably won’t live up to them next year either as Joe Burrow gets better/Jets get a Qb, while their D kicks our ass/Miami gets better.  

31 minutes ago, gjv said:

In this year's draft I don't expect there will be a round-one-rated Olineman or WR fall to the Bills. That being said, the Bills will have a shot to draft a top-five talent in Bijan Robinson. Adding Robinson to a backfield with Josh Allen might be illegal. If Robinson falls to 20, I would go so far as to trade up for him. GO BILLS!!!!!

What would you give up in a trade to get him? I might be on board depending on how free agency shakes out in regards to the O-Line. If it was a 2 or 3 next year that's not bad value in terms of getting better this year. They could still then add a WR in the 2nd and a OL, S, or LB in the 3rd. 

11 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Infuriating?  Like you pace the floor at night in a blind rage?

Depends on the night and the posters I read..

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hermes said:

What would you give up in a trade to get him? I might be on board depending on how free agency shakes out in regards to the O-Line. If it was a 2 or 3 next year that's not bad value in terms of getting better this year. They could still then add a WR in the 2nd and a OL, S, or LB in the 3rd. 

Depends on the night and the posters I read..

I don’t know what the draft trade values are moving up to the #20 draft slot. But I would gladly give up the #3 spot this year, and could be convinced to give up my #2 instead. My thinking is we have to jump in front of Dallas. I think Dallas will take Robinson to replace Elliott.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, gjv said:

I don’t know what the draft trade values are moving up to the #20 draft slot. But I would gladly give up the #3 spot this year, and could be convinced to give up my #2 instead. My thinking is we have to jump in front of Dallas. I think Dallas will take Robinson to replace Elliott.

In your scenario are we bringing back the same O-Line or does the team upgrade in FA? If you do that Poyer and Edmunds are more than likely leaving and then you have 2 pretty big holes on the defensive side of things. Idk about spending assets this year when the biggest weakness was the O-Line and the 2nd and 3rd rounds are typically where you can find starting caliber players.

Even if Beane works some magic in FA I'd still rather trade a 2nd next year than even a 3rd this year. I'm thinking something like a 1st and 5th this year and a 2nd next year. If that's even enough to jump up to where he is available.

*I just checked the trade chart and that deal is just shy of the Seattle pick in terms of trade value 850-841. Maybe sweeten the deal with another 5th next year

Edited by Hermes

29 minutes ago, Hermes said:

In your scenario are we bringing back the same O-Line or does the team upgrade in FA? If you do that Poyer and Edmunds are more than likely leaving and then you have 2 pretty big holes on the defensive side of things. Idk about spending assets this year when the biggest weakness was the O-Line and the 2nd and 3rd rounds are typically where you can find starting caliber players.

Even if Beane works some magic in FA I'd still rather trade a 2nd next year than even a 3rd this year. I'm thinking something like a 1st and 5th this year and a 2nd next year. If that's even enough to jump up to where he is available.

*I just checked the trade chart and that deal is just shy of the Seattle pick in terms of trade value 850-841. Maybe sweeten the deal with another 5th next year

I don’t want to create holes on, what I consider, a defense with just above average talent. In my scenario drafting Robinson is mutually exclusive from any other moves that Beane makes. Simple put, I believe Robinson is the best player the Bills could select at their draft position. Certainly, if I could give up a draft pick next year vs this year to move up, I would do so.

I don't want to drag up the past cause it means nothing.....but Chan Gailey and Jim Schwartz with this roster.....could we have?.......

Any way nothing will change until Frazier is gone. Given the fact that the best D.C.s are or will be gone soon, the best thing that could happen for this team is if McD announced that until such time, he will assume also the D.C. role because Frazier is retiring.......   willingly or not. That way, he can always come out of retirement vs. having been fired. See, I solved the biggest problem with this team. Ya'll are welcome....or youse all depending on where you're from.

Edited by nosejob

3 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I don't want to drag up the past cause it means nothing.....but Chan Gailey and Jim Schwartz with this roster.....could we have?.......

Haven’t a clue. I know it’s popular on TBD to fire everyone on the coaching staff. Maybe they are right. I’m not in that camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gjv said:

Haven’t a clue. I know it’s popular on TBD to fire everyone on the coaching staff. Maybe they are right. I’m not in that camp. 

Admitting not having a clue is the first step, and may many more here follow your lead. Stick with it. You can do this.

4 hours ago, gjv said:

I don’t want to create holes on, what I consider, a defense with just above average talent. In my scenario drafting Robinson is mutually exclusive from any other moves that Beane makes. Simple put, I believe Robinson is the best player the Bills could select at their draft position. Certainly, if I could give up a draft pick next year vs this year to move up, I would do so.

At this point I'm not up to snuff on my draft knowledge so it's hard for me to determine what players will be valued where and how the draft might fall. I've heard a ton of Bijan hype and how he's essentially a generational type back. That said, the draft won't be made in a vacuum and the moves Beane makes or doesn't will determine what the Bills draft strategy will end up being. Unfortunately, we won't know how that looks until the lead up to the draft. Even still I'm opposed to giving up a 2, 3, or 4 this year to move up.

The only relevant comparison between this team and that one, is that they both have coaches that are out-coached and outclassed by their best peers, to the extent that it'll be pure luck if we win a Super Bowl with them, but that they're so liked as people that despite their professional incompetencies, they'll be here until the special talent that is Allen is spent.  The '90s era team was more a special collection of overall talent and not simply one spectacular player.  

Also that Beane isn't even close to Polian, who assembled an entire team, not merely lucked out on one player.

Edited by PBF81

20 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

They probably won’t live up to them next year either as Joe Burrow gets better/Jets get a Qb, while their D kicks our ass/Miami gets better.  

We'll continue to be out-coached, particularly in the playoffs.  We've recently had the same fortunes that NE/Brady had for 20 years, a weak division to the extent that the other three teams sucked.  But that's gonna change.  

We're not going anywhere with a defense that routinely allows 30 PPG in the playoffs.  We can think and Bill-ieve that we are, but we aren't.  If if's and but's were candy and nuts ...

McD hasn't improved in 5 seasons, Allen's simply improved, carrying McD's water.  And Beane's drafting is hardly any cause for hope either, in fact, to the contrary.  At least with Polian there was hope for getting qualified starting talent routinely in the Draft.  

Edited by PBF81

Another thing is that so many fans are always expecting the worst from the team. What's the term that's been coined for for it BBFS (Buffalo Bills Fans Syndrome)? Or something along those lines.  It's like if the Bills aren't blowing a team out by 20 points late in the 4th, these fans are waiting for the immanent collapse and for the boot to come down on the team. 

Realistically up until Allen threw that pick in the Bengals game I didn't count them out. That's not to say I was confident they'd pull it out, on the contrary it looked like they were never in it to begin with. I just can't understand why anyone would be a fan if they had no faith in the team to win any game they're in until the result is finalized. 

On 2/3/2023 at 5:46 PM, StHustle said:

People can’t help but to compare the old with the new. I think its human nature. But clearly the 90’s team has ZERO bearing on this team or it’s potential or anything else EXCEPT…the fans (which includes the old players). With that said, all this ridiculous talk about making changes at the top needs to cease.

We just tied for the most wins in franchise history. Talk of firing Beane or McDermott is some of the most foolish gibberish I’ve heard in a long while. People talking about us “wasting” our opportunities or anything of that nature when Josh is only 26 (historically the best QBs play their best football years older than 26) and locked up for the next 6 years is asinine conversation.

How about being happy this regime has made us perennial contenders and are always seeking to improve? Do any of you complainers realize we already have one of the longest playoff streaks in the league? Stop the foolish talk already!

Depends on how you look at things, your expectations, and your end goal.

This regime as you have stated has made 6 straight playoff appearances. No small feat and a nice accomplishment. 

However, what has the team accomplished in the playoffs? Have they even advanced to a AFC conference game? Answer is no. What makes you think they can get over the hump? 

If you are happy with consistent playoff appearances with constant disappointment then I get it. That's exactly what this team has done. 

You can have hope and be optimistic about the future. I get that. Hope and optimism are great but it's no indication of future results. All we have is past results. Thus far, the Bills team has failed to meet its goals. The last two playoff appearances have been extremely disappointing. Imho, the cracks are beginning to show. Those cracks make it much more difficult to be optimistic. 

Edited by newcam2012

On 2/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, gjv said:

How is it that you don't think the Bills can get one of the top O-line or WR prospects but can somehow get the #1 ranked RB in the draft at #27?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.