The Biden Boom: Biden's Economy Has the Best Growth Record Since 1969

3 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

This post is going to upset Frankish something fierce as the Copper Courier, part of Courier Newsroom, can in no way be considered part of the reliable mainstream media.

Well, yes, I've never heard of it, and therefore I would have assumed that it is "fake news" or at least news that is pre-spun to support a particular agenda.

Of course, the fact that we hit Dow 40K is in no way fake.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, yes, I've never heard of it, and therefore I would have assumed that it is "fake news" or at least news that is pre-spun to support a particular agenda.

Of course, the fact that we hit Dow 40K is in no way fake.

Do you know anything about politics?  75% of Dems don’t give a ***** about the Dow, have no investments, and live off the government teet.  They care about the cost of groceries, rent, reefer, 40’s, and utilities, and if their monthly checks and handouts will cover it.  What a mess.  

Edited by Irv
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Roundybout said:

From March:

https://coppercourier.com/2024/03/22/80-of-house-republicans-support-plan-to-cut-social-security-ban-abortion-and-restrict-ivf/

Also we can solve like 70% of the social security debt problem by removing the income cap. 

So your counterpoint is that republicans are trying to save the program from insolvency?

35 minutes ago, Irv said:

Do you know anything about politics?  75% of Dems don’t give a ***** about the Dow, have no investments, and live off the government teet.  They care about the cost of groceries, rent, reefer, 40’s, and utilities, and if their monthly checks and handouts will cover it.  What a mess.  

Weird take considering red states take more welfare than blue ones 

33 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

So your counterpoint is that republicans are trying to save the program from insolvency?

“Saving it” by gimping it so it’s functionally useless.

Just remove the income cap!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

If I was going to "fix" social security I would run off the current program to zero and transition contributions of younger workers to individual 401k type accounts managed by a group of investment fund groups like Vanguard and Fidelity which could choose a mix of income and growth options to balance risk and reward for the account holder. When they retire I would expect they'd have a decent size balance which could provide a much larger income stream in retirement than the current system.  I would also make withdrawals tax-free.  Let's not forget employers also pay into the fund.

I'd also eliminate SSI and other programs which draw money from Social Security for reasons other than retirement and transfer those types of payments and needs to another fund specifically for that use.

A major issue is what to do about people that don't work and don't contribute. Should workers be required to foot the bill for them? Or is there another safety net that might be better applied?

But "privatizing" SS has been proposed before and rejected mainly because the government uses the SS fund deposits for general government budget purposes in exchange for treasury bond IOU's. I believe the SS fund is the largest holder of US government debt. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Weird take considering red states take more welfare than blue ones 

Lie

4 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If I was going to "fix" social security I would run off the current program to zero and transition contributions of younger workers to individual 401k type accounts managed by a group of investment fund groups like Vanguard and Fidelity which could choose a mix of income and growth options to balance risk and reward for the account holder. When they retire I would expect they'd have a decent size balance which could provide a much larger income stream in retirement than the current system.  I would also make withdrawals tax-free.  Let's not forget employers also pay into the fund.

I'd also eliminate SSI and other programs which draw money from Social Security for reasons other than retirement and transfer those types of payments and needs to another fund specifically for that use.

A major issue is what to do about people that don't work and don't contribute. Should workers be required to foot the bill for them? Or is there another safety net that might be better applied?

But "privatizing" SS has been proposed before and rejected mainly because the government uses the SS fund deposits for general government budget purposes in exchange for treasury bond IOU's. I believe the SS fund is the largest holder of US government debt. 

Galveston and other areas never got into SS and set up their own  plans.  The results are night and day to ss.

Not going broke.  Way better returns.  Transferring Ballance to children at death. And so on. 

8 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Spoken like someone who wouldn't be on the losing end of that equation.   Do you want to remove the benefit cap as well?

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Its a race against time. As for now adding about a trillion to the national debt every quarter seems to be propping up things while fueling inflation. But as usual let's worry about the consequence later. Even with all this extra juice economic activity is slowing quickly. Consumers are tapped out from an income, savings, and debt perspective. My expectation is around the start of August the markets roll over and we get a crash of some magnitude. Then its the Fed to the rescue!

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Its a race against time. As for now adding about a trillion to the national debt every quarter seems to be propping up things while fueling inflation. But as usual let's worry about the consequence later. Even with all this extra juice economic activity is slowing quickly. Consumers are tapped out from an income, savings, and debt perspective. My expectation is around the start of August the markets roll over and we get a crash of some magnitude.

sadly, I agree except about the crash.  Plenty of blame to spread about the debt..  I think that in the shorter term, our military power props up the debt.  Eventually, it will cause a crash.  I hate it for the millennials and basically anyone younger than a boomer.  And then there will be more political unrest.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=blue+skies+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:fd4f97f1,vid:SAa4teWb0rU,st:0

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever