Benford to safety?

John from Riverside

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

It's possible Hyde will be back and I hope he is, but after having Vertebra fused in his neck, or whatever they did, I wouldn't go into the season expecting him to be the player he was, if he plays at all.

It sounds as if he had a disc replacement, not neck fusion where the concern could be loss of range-of-motion in his neck.  I fully expect him to be ready to go for the first activities but whether he is the same player as before (which can depend on numerous other factors) remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Yes I think it should and will happen. It's the same path Poyer and Hyde took to Safety.

Joe Marino this week said he was like 90% sure our Safeties would be Hyde and Benford next season.

And on a side note, I wonder if the firing of our Safeties coach had anything to do with the plan to move Benford. Maybe McDermott was hoping to get him there this season but thought progress was too slow...?

16 hours ago, MJS said:

What did they say? Was it just speculation, or was there some mention of it by coaches or something?

The latter.  Not as a definite "plan" but as "we will evaluate this off season"

16 hours ago, MJS said:

What did they say? Was it just speculation, or was there some mention of it by coaches or something?

The latter.  Not as a definite "plan" but as "we will evaluate this off season".  Stated by McDermott.

16 hours ago, MJS said:

The latter.  Not as a definite "plan" but as "we will evaluate this off season".  Stated by McDermott.

I am all for it.  Looks like a good decision to me, seems to be a good young player that can make the transition, need him more at Safety at this point than CB

19 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He was absolutely awful in coverage and missed his fair share of tackles. Upgrading safety is a must. I’m not sure Benford is enough to make you say “we are all set.”

You still draft another imo, in the 4th or 5th range 

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

IMO, it's past time to use some draft resources at OL and WR

I think if there is a high potential offensive player in round three be at a lineman for a wide receiver, and we go defense, I’m gonna be upset

McDermitt is a defensive coach. Let him coach up some players this year on defense and let’s put groceries on the office of side of the ball.

How good with Josh Allen be if he didn’t have to move off his mark every other play because a free rusher is coming at him against these good teams

I read a statistic that in that Bengals game they were playing walk down coverage against our receivers if we had someone besides digs that was ultra talented on the officer side of the ball would that help that?

yes, things are not going well offensively one of the things good teams are able to do is knuckle down and grind it out on the ground get those first downs keep the ball, moving and keep it away from the opponents office. That is what Baltimore did to almost beat the Bengals just the week before. 

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Probably not, but even if he does come back, he is a backup-tier player.

I have no doubt Hamlin returns as our backup FS.  The odds of commotio cordis happening again are 1: 1,000,000.  This upcoming season will be Hyde's last so we'll probably draft a S late.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

On 1/28/2023 at 7:53 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

I have no doubt Hamlin returns as our backup FS.  The odds of commotio cordis happening again are 1: 1,000,000.  This upcoming season will be Hyde's last so we'll probably draft a S late.

it's not about it happening again, it's if his body was damaged to the point that he can no longer be an elite athlete. He's still on oxygen. The road fromt hat to peak cardiovascular health seems long. We don't even know at this point if he'll be on oxygen forever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.