2023 Draft - Offensive Line discussion

GunnerBill

On 12/24/2022 at 12:05 AM, GunnerBill said:

This. And I think it is hard to make a case for 1st round value at other spots on the line. First round OL should normally be left tackles. 

I believe this to be true, except whenever you start to get to the end of the first round if there is a dynamic center combo guard whenever you’re getting to a round pick 30 I think that is a good selection

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

First round early. OGs / Cs in the first 15 or even 20 are relative rarities. After that they're as common as OTs.

Most first-round OTs are gone by the time we draft these days. At pick #20 or afterwards, only five OTs have gone in the past five years. Five OTs and five INT OLs.

Late in the round, Cs / Gs are just as common.

3 OGs in the first last year, and a C besides. One INT OL the year before. One the year before that, two in 2019 and three the year before that. I think only Quenton Nelson in the top ten, most (all?) of the rest starting at #14.

Yes, certainly most OLs that go in the first should be tackles, and most of those left tackles. But there's a reason a year hasn't gone by without an INT OL being taken in the first. And those OLs tend to be good picks as well.

IMO we're not going to be picking top 20 for the next several years. Might as well start thinking the way people drafting where we're going to be drafting should.

Completely agree.  When picking late in the first round you have the ability to get a top 2 prospect at certain positions.

Those positions tend to be...

C

G

TE

RB

CB - zone

S

I personally love the value of C or C/G late in the first.  I think you get a top notch S in certain drafts there as well.  But, think we need to go C or C/G in this draft.  I can see the argument for WR as well.

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Pete said:

IMO Dawkins and Morse positions are set.  All 3 other spots on OLine we need upgrades.  Keep Bates for versatility

Put Bates back at LG where he should have been. Then either Ike at RG or a FA. No more inexperienced RG next to Brown. Have Doyle and Brown battle for the RT spot, loser is your swing. Draft a C/G and a T mid-late rounds to develop.

9 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Put Bates back at LG where he should have been. Then either Ike at RG or a FA. No more inexperienced RG next to Brown. Have Doyle and Brown battle for the RT spot, loser is your swing. Draft a C/G and a T mid-late rounds to develop.

or do my suggestion.  Our oline was hot garbage.  Like I stated- Dawkins and Morse only returning starters.  Upgrade the other 3 positions, Brown and Bates backups- voila an improved oline with depth

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

or do my suggestion.  Our oline was hot garbage.  Like I stated- Dawkins and Morse only returning starters.  Upgrade the other 3 positions, Brown and Bates backups- voila an improved oline with depth

I think there needs to be legit open competitions for those spots, except for Dawkins and morse

Edited by John from Riverside

In both playoff games there was a free blitzer coming from the blindside.  A safety or corner.  The Miami game it led to the fumble, scoop and touchdown for the competition.   In the Cincinatti game it was drive killing sack.    The RB released that way but let the blitzer go while seeking an outlet.  

That was either bad coaching, bad playing or both.   

14 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

In both playoff games there was a free blitzer coming from the blindside.  A safety or corner.  The Miami game it led to the fumble, scoop and touchdown for the competition.   In the Cincinatti game it was drive killing sack.    The RB released that way but let the blitzer go while seeking an outlet.  

That was either bad coaching, bad playing or both.   

I saw those 

My mind just can’t get away from the Bengals using a three man rush and Josh Allen running for his life. I’m never going to be able to get that out of my mind..

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I seriously doubt they would put 3 rookies on the OLine. I also don't think they signed Ike while injured just to turn around and let him walk this year. Brown is still on a rookie deal and didn't get the offseason due to surgery and is just coming into his 3rd season which it typically takes for mid to late rnd O-lineman. And Doyle the same. Injury and rookie deal. On top of that, they put Bates next to Brown. I said this was a mistake from the get-go. You can't put 2 guys with minimal experience next to eachother, it's a car crash waiting to happen and that's what we got. I'm not saying don't draft oline, I just don't think having 3 rookies starting on the oline would be a wise idea.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.