Opponents' 3rd and long scare anyone else?

The Red King

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

14 point wins on the road are dominating. This is the problem you disqualify things based on your arbitrary criteria of "whether I think it counts". Winning a division game on the road by 14 in the NFL is a dominating performance. 

Other than that, sure we have played some close games recently. 

That is exactly what he does. If a fact counters his view then he will caveat at it. If a fact supports his view and someone else seeks to caveat it he accuses them of making excuses and ignoring facts. 

And then he complains that people cannot accept his views whenever he is critical. You have known me long enough on this board @HappyDays - have I ever had a problem being critical about the Bills when I have thought it was warranted? 

I just prefer a balanced discussion than what you get from @Billsfan1972.

I'm consistent.  If you want to call Brissett a great qb ok.  I don't and they were beaten handily the prior week vs. Miami and while Buffalo won it was an okay effort and not great.

NE we know is terrible offensively and was again a nice win, but few came away saying "The Bills are back".  It was as said a good win, but no statement.  

BTW this thread is about 3rd and long and I agreed it is a situation especially as the QB's they play in the playoffs will be a lot more better and dangerous.

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm consistent.  If you want to call Brissett a great qb ok.  I don't and they were beaten handily the prior week vs. Miami and while Buffalo won it was an okay effort and not great.

NE we know is terrible offensively and was again a nice win, but few came away saying "The Bills are back".  It was as said a good win, but no statement.  

BTW this thread is about 3rd and long and I agreed it is a situation especially as the QB's they play in the playoffs will be a lot more better and dangerous.

And as usual - your underlying point isn't without merit. The Bills 3rd down defense has been below its normal standard this year. I said that before you even entered the thread. 

What you are then consistent with is your are only intereted in facts if they back up the opinion you already hold. Nobody is saying Jacoby Brissett is a great QB. What people are saying is the Bills held Cleveland to their season average missing a load of guys. It was not a bad defensive display or a great one. It was okay. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And as usual - your underlying point isn't without merit. The Bills 3rd down defense has been below its normal standard this year. I said that before you even entered the thread. 

What you are then consistent with is your are only intereted in facts if they back up the opinion you already hold. Nobody is saying Jacoby Brissett is a great QB. What people are saying is the Bills held Cleveland to their season average missing a load of guys. It was not a bad defensive display or a great one. It was okay. 

We agree it was an okay performance,  which is what we are saying every week, ok not great.  

This is a great tram 

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

We agree it was an okay performance,  which is what we are saying every week, ok not great.  

This is a great tram 

With everything the team went through that Cleveland week you were never getting great. The Thanksgiving win at Detroit was a very good win. That was a much better than "okay performance" against a team who have been on a tear. They then had a dominating win at New England, a scrappy win against the Jets and then pulled out a win in a great game with Miami.

I don't think they are only "okay" every week. You think that. The evidence suggests otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

With everything the team went through that Cleveland week you were never getting great. The Thanksgiving win at Detroit was a very good win. That was a much better than "okay performance" against a team who have been on a tear. They then had a dominating win at New England, a scrappy win against the Jets and then pulled out a win in a great game with Miami.

I don't think they are only "okay" every week. You think that. The evidence suggests otherwise. 

Keep saying that and you will believe it.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Disagree 1

Did anyone post, you know, how we actually do on 3rd and Long?

I didn't see that stat, but did find this "Team Opponent Third Down Conversion Percentage":  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-down-conversion-pct

Looks to me like we're middle of the pack (and I'm sure 3rd and Long is factored into this stat, so how back can we actually be?).  In good news, the Bears are the worst at 3rd down, so we do have that going for us today! :beer: 

11 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I didn't see that stat, but did find this "Team Opponent Third Down Conversion Percentage":  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-down-conversion-pct

Looks to me like we're middle of the pack (and I'm sure 3rd and Long is factored into this stat, so how back can we actually be?).  In good news, the Bears are the worst at 3rd down, so we do have that going for us today! :beer: 

Yea we are 17th. That is below par though for this defense. But there are contributory factors - not least injuries.

6 hours ago, Heitz said:

I tried to check.  And again not saying the 3rd down D is troubling, just 3rd and long.  Buffalo is actually quite good at 3rd and short, so it evens out.

That being said, credit where it's due.  The Bills did quite well against 3rd and long today.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.