Elam v Jackson

Commish

Elam v Jackson  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Elam v Jackson, who played better against the Phins?

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Hopefully Tre’s incline return goes fast and at a steep angle.  He and Elam will make an awesome random when they are both playing well.  Benford also showed some promise.  The Buills could be. Solid 4 deep with CB’s if they are all healthy.

I am hoping by playoff time they’ve got it nailed down not having Von Miller for the playoffs is troubling We need our secondary to be able to hold it down.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm sorry I can't get myself to a place where that makes any sense at all. There has to be more to it.

OK FWIW, TBN (paywall) Ryan O'Halloran did a piece on him -
https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-bills-rookie-kaiir-elams-mindset-after-deactivation-make-sure-that-didnt-happen-again/article_3d870d90-8146-11ed-a6bb-d7dfb505ba12.html

Elam’s deactivation for the New England game was a surprise because he wasn’t on that week’s injury report, White had only played one game, Jackson was in a coverage slump and Xavier Rhodes had played all of 25 snaps during year.

Elam has always been a post-practice worker, but he upped the volume and also honed in on everything else after the Patriots game. If the coaches intended to send him a message, he first needed to receive it (he did, quickly) and then show he had received it (he did, semi-quickly).

“The weaknesses were basically playing with proper technique,” he said. "Maybe I was trying to be too perfect instead of sticking with what got me here."

Also, rookies sometimes abandon their technique to go interception hunting.

“Interceptions are cool and they help change the momentum of the game,” said Elam, who has two picks. “But I really just want to be a person who locks down my guy because I know that helps the team tremendously. When I start doing that, I will feel more satisfied than if I have a game with one pick and a bunch of yards given up.”

The implication I take from that is that Elam was benched for performance reasons such that the Bills felt Rhodes was a better choice for the game - not for "breaking a team rule" or some kind of discipline.  Of course, you can question whether my belief colors my interpretation and, of course, whether Elam is going to spill the tea if it was a rule violation discipline.  But he makes a fairly convincing case for the above.

But, there is something in the article that puzzles me:

Being a rookie cornerback in the NFL is tricky. College teams play an overwhelming amount of zone coverage so players like Elam must learn the ins and outs of man coverage, particularly press coverage and being able to play physical at the line of scrimmage while not putting himself out of position.

My understanding was that Elam played a lot of man in college and not so much zone.

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

OK FWIW, TBN (paywall) Ryan O'Halloran did a piece on him -
https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-bills-rookie-kaiir-elams-mindset-after-deactivation-make-sure-that-didnt-happen-again/article_3d870d90-8146-11ed-a6bb-d7dfb505ba12.html

The implication I take from that is that Elam was benched for performance reasons such that the Bills felt Rhodes was a better choice for the game - not for "breaking a team rule" or some kind of discipline.  Of course, you can question whether my belief colors my interpretation and, of course, whether Elam is going to spill the tea if it was a rule violation discipline.  But he makes a fairly convincing case for the above.

But, there is something in the article that puzzles me:

My understanding was that Elam played a lot of man in college and not so much zone.

Yea the bit about zone v man is just plain wrong. Elam played a lot of press man at Florida the adjustment for him is to play zone. 

The rest is just a BN fluff piece.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.