Len Pasquarelli says....

JPL7

today on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio, Dan listed a number of players and whether or not Pasq said they should be inducted. Pasq is one of the 38 voters and he immediately said NO to Reed. Also no's to Art Monk(which is total bull sh--)! but yet he put heavy thought into whether or not Ricky Watters should be in!! ummm huh??

any thoughts??

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I talked about this very subject to Sean Salisbury when I was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. Sean thinks he will get in (same goes for Thurman), although they may not be first-ballot inductees.

Reed is on the All-Time lists for several stats. However, he never had a real dominating season (like say 15 TDs or 100 receptions).

The Super Bowls give him recognition, but unfortunately some media members wil hold the 4 Super Bowl losses against him. He didn't have a great Super Bowl game either.

I personally would vote for him as a biased Bills' fan but I'm not sure he'll get in.

The Super Bowls give him recognition, but unfortunately some media members wil hold the 4 Super Bowl losses against him.  He didn't have a great Super Bowl game either.

338482[/snapback]

Well, thankfully, precedent has been set by the election of both Marv and Jim to the HOF. Bruce will get in too. Thurman was league MVP one year, and has the combined yards from scrimmage records that he has with Jim Brown. He'll get in. Andre should get in...look where he is on the all-time lists. Plus, he was Jim's go to guy.

F LP!

That's a good call......god I hate that show!

338483[/snapback]

Around the Horn is indecent and should be banned from TV. All it is is media types stroking themselves in front of a national audience.

today on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio, Dan listed a number of players and whether or not Pasq said they should be inducted.  Pasq is one of the 38 voters and he immediately said NO to Reed.  Also no's to Art Monk(which is total bull sh--)!  but yet he put heavy thought into whether or not Ricky Watters should be in!!  ummm huh??

any thoughts??

338472[/snapback]

I really think that is pretty crazy...I am not going to say that Pasqarelli knows nothing about football, but I think, in this instance, he is way off. It seems like Reed is least appreciated of our "superstars" from that era (by national media, and Bills fans), but he was such a huge part of the success of those teams. I always assumed that Kelly, Thurman, Bruce and Reed were shoe-ins for the HOF, as long as one got in. It appears though, that the WR position is the one that doesn't translate well from era to era. People forget, for about the first 9 years of his career, Reed was only surpassed by Jerry Rice for production, and it wasn't that big a gap between them for a good portion of that time. In the end, Reed was no Rice, but he was certainly as good as any other recievers from that time period. Rice is an anomally....

I also feel that Monk is a HOF'er, but I think his case is weaker than Reed's. His numbers were a product of longevity. He wasn't really the number one passing option in his offense at any time, but he just played for so damn long.

Well, thankfully, precedent has been set by the election of both Marv and Jim to the HOF.  Bruce will get in too.  Thurman was league MVP one year, and has the combined yards from scrimmage records that he has with Jim Brown.  He'll get in.  Andre should get in...look where he is on the all-time lists.  Plus, he was Jim's go to guy.

F LP!

338490[/snapback]

I don't think Reed gets in, for the same reason Monk doesn't get in. That is, just not spectacular enough. Kind of a style over substance thing.

Reed `was also considered a product of the system, not a true game breaking WR

today on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio, Dan listed a number of players and whether or not Pasq said they should be inducted.  Pasq is one of the 38 voters and he immediately said NO to Reed.  Also no's to Art Monk(which is total bull sh--)!  but yet he put heavy thought into whether or not Ricky Watters should be in!!  ummm huh??

any thoughts??

338472[/snapback]

He's entitled to his opinion.

Doesn't mean he's correct.

Maybe Len should aske the best WR of all time, Jerry Rice, what he thinks of Reed. I bet he'd change his tune quickly. Reed had no peer (not even Rice) as a pure, over the middle posession WR. He wasn't the fastest guy but was sure handed, strong, and quick and was Easily the 2nd best WR in the league atleast between '88 and '91.

Ask the '92 Oilers secondary that!!  :D

338497[/snapback]

Not saying I agree with the assesemnt, just that is the comment I hear quite often.

In my opinion, should be first ballot HOF, just don't think it happen is all

I also feel that Monk is a HOF'er, but I think his case is weaker than Reed's.  His numbers were a product of longevity.  He wasn't really the number one passing option in his offense at any time, but he just played for so damn long.

338494[/snapback]

Respectfully disagree. Monk was like money in the bank for any qb, always there to move the sticks. Like Rice, Largent, Joiner, Biletnikoff, and others etc.

Pure gold.