Hot take: Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward

Logic

1 hour ago, Logic said:

McKenzie is the perfect WR4. I'd like to see him return to his role as jet sweep guy/gadget player a bit more.

Considering how awful our offense has been on 3rd and 1, I think a little jet sweep action -- even if its usually only a decoy -- could be helpful. And then, every now and again, you actually hand it off on the jet sweep for a 10+ yard gain to McKenzie. That's really the ONLY thing from the Daboll playbook that I miss under Dorsey.

If you want to let him continue to be kickoff return & gadget guy, that's fine. But I never want to see him get more touches than Shakir.  Isaiah has been given more than enough opportunities to prove he's not clumsy & unathletic. And frankly he's failed. Use his one strength ( speed ) on kick returns and sweeps. I'm not throwing slants or balls downfield to him. And Dorsey feel free to never run that pitch again.

• Agree 1

I think McKenzie is serviceable. He lacks consistency. Yesterday was obviously a bad day. He can and will make some big plays and step it up. My take is the Bills are waiting for Shakir to develop a little more. Slowly give him experience. By playoff time, I wouldn't be surprised if he over takes McKenzie in snaps. The Bills are in a pretty good situation here. 

Edited by newcam2012

14 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think McKenzie is serviceable. He lacks consistency. Yesterday was obviously a bad day. He can and will make some big plays and step it up. My take is the Bills are waiting for Shakir to develop a little more. Slowly give him experience. By playoff time, I wouldn't be surprised if he over takes McKenzie in snaps. The Bills are in a pretty good situation here. 

I'd like to see some more gadget plays for Mckenzie but I feel like we haven't seen him be a real every down wr more than once, last year against the patriots he ate them up. But the drops and the mistakes he's starting to show a pattern of are how you lose to good teams in the post season. His td drop could have easily been the reason we would have to go to kc in post season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I'd like to see some more gadget plays for Mckenzie but I feel like we haven't seen him be a real every down wr more than once, last year against the patriots he ate them up. But the drops and the mistakes he's starting to show a pattern of are how you lose to good teams in the post season. His td drop could have easily been the reason we would have to go to kc in post season.

It was painfully obvious he had a poor game. If he continues to play poorly I'm confident coach McD will make the right moves. Shakir had looked pretty good in his limited role. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:26 AM, Norcalbillsfan said:

Agree. McK still has a role on this team. But Shakir is making a case for himself. 

7 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Not too hot a take, I don't think lol. More like a "hmm we should've already been doing that" kind of take.

What role would you uh...say that is? Scapegoat?

Experienced vet backup who can play slot or RB (in a Debo type role if needed). He is “Lamar” on scout team when we play Baltimore. Dude can fly. Speed can’t be taught. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.