Direct TV Sunday Ticket Poll

Is DTV hosing the public by asking an additional 99 bucks for football in HD?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Is DTV hosing the public by asking an additional 99 bucks for football in HD?

• Yes?
    • No?

In case you haven't heard, DTV is charging $219 for NFL Sunday Ticket and an additional 99 big ones to get HD programming (it was free last year with a subsciption to HD programming). What you y'all think?

337783[/snapback]

Is it $219 for returning customers as well? :D

DirecTV is a for profit corporation that will charge what the market will bear. We do, after all, live in a capitalistic society.

337801[/snapback]

My point is "Will the market bear this?" hence the question in the poll.

Price for Sunday Ticket is $219 for returning customers (I think). It may be more for new people and/or they may have a promotion to incentivize things for new customers.

if you are a current HD customer, call and B word that you are a bills fan and that only half the friggin games are in HD. They will still charge the $99, but will give you a $120 programming credit. Not that you heard that here

HD is a relatively new technology. You want DTV to offer it for free? Well, send them a letter on how to broadcast it for free as well, and I'm sure they'll charge you the same as the non-HD version.

This is like saying its unfair for an art dealer to charge more for a genuine Picaso than he would for a lithograph reprint.

My point is "Will the market bear this?" hence the question in the poll.

Price for Sunday Ticket is $219 for returning customers (I think). It may be more for new people and/or they may have a promotion to incentivize things for new customers.

337811[/snapback]

It's $199 for returning customers. The $219 is the "early bird" special for non-returnees. Plus the $99 for HD. DTV also fails to mention that most if not all, HD receivers can not handle the interactive features they are advertising as part of the $99 "superfan" package. There is the possiblity that an update will arrive before the start of the NFL season to change this, but at this time they are advertising something to HD customers that their receiver can't handle. I'm sure most HD viewers don't know that. Come the start of the season -- they will certainly find out on their own. That is when I suspect a lot of people which call and b**** -- if they haven't already.

Plenzmd1 - I saw that you were on the tivocommunity board also.

It's $199 for returning customers.  The $219 is the "early bird" special for non-returnees.  Plus the $99 for HD.  DTV also fails to mention that most if not all, HD receivers can not handle the interactive features they are advertising as part of the $99 "superfan" package.  There is the possiblity that an update will arrive before the start of the NFL season to change this, but at this time they are advertising something to HD customers that their receiver can't handle.  I'm sure most HD viewers don't know that.  Come the start of the season -- they will certainly find out on their own.  That is when I suspect a lot of people which call and b**** -- if they haven't already.

Plenzmd1 - I saw that you were on the tivocommunity board also.

337833[/snapback]

Yep, and got my credit this afternoon using the bills. It is BS cause the bills are on CBS, only 3 games a week

Well...its not working for me. Last year I bought the sunday ticket. However, I do not own a HDTV. I know people who will splurge to get the HDTV football package. I will go over to their house to watch the games in HDTV rather than purchase the standard football package myself.

So...I dont know how to answer the poll. One more person signing up for HDTV football...One less Football subscriber overall..

Well...its not working for me.  Last year I bought the sunday ticket.  However, I do not own a HDTV.  I know people who will splurge to get the HDTV football package.  I will go over to their house to watch the games in HDTV rather than purchase the standard football package myself.

So...I dont know how to answer the poll.  One more person signing up for HDTV football...One less Football subscriber overall..

337840[/snapback]

Chaep Bastage, :D Id make you pay in my house. At elast make ya bring a twelve over

Yep, and got my credit this afternoon using the bills. It is BS cause the bills are on CBS, only 3 games a week

337836[/snapback]

explain this please. are you saying that CBS only does 3 HD games per week?

If the market won't bear it, the price will come down.  That's the beauty of free market economics.  Whoops, I forgot you're in Hillary's chunt-tree. :D

337815[/snapback]

Get real. If it was a free market CABLE and the DISH people could carry the ticket also. You had better be careful or Tabliablows will make you watch the game in official NFL gear also.

NFL and DTV - the perfect BJ

DTV offered a great alternative to cable and the constant, how did you put it "BJ" cable had been giving us. Free market does not mean free, it means free to get what you can get, i.e. what the NFL can get for this special product package and DTV can pay what it is willing to pay through a process of biddding.

It's all the same, seven years ago I wanted Disney for my three year old and cable told me I had to buy the "super Delux package" to the tune of $89.00 +/- per month, and so I shopped (..you know the free market..) and went with the basic package at DTV. At the time I had to buy the equipment....The return on my inverstment has paid off many times over.

So yes the market will say yes and as the numbers increase for DTV HDTV the price will come down.

Get real.  If it was a free market CABLE and the DISH people could carry the ticket also.  You had better be careful or Tabliablows will make you watch the game in official NFL gear also.

NFL and DTV - the perfect BJ

337893[/snapback]

It is a free market, and DTV outbid all comers to secure the exclusive right to carry NFL Sunday Ticket.

The problem arises not from charging 100 bucks for HD, but from giving it away for free the year before.

explain this please.  are you saying that CBS only does 3 HD games per week?

337850[/snapback]

That is correct sir. Last year Bills in HD a grand total of seven times. That may be increasing this year, I do not know

That's pretty steep. I don't have DirecTV and the only reason I would get it is for the NFL Sunday Ticket. It's not worth it even though I usually B word about the lousy games on network TV when the Bills are on the road. I have season tickets and Bills Home Games are an all day event so I hardly ever see the 4pm games anyways. If you don't go to the Bills home games and live out of town, then I can see paying whatever price they ask.

That's pretty steep. I don't have DirecTV and the only reason I would get it is for the NFL Sunday Ticket. It's not worth it even though I usually B word about the lousy games on network TV when the Bills are on the road. I have season tickets and Bills Home Games are an all day event so I hardly ever see the 4pm games anyways. If you don't go to the Bills home games and live out of town, then I can see paying whatever price they ask.

338448[/snapback]

I'm with ya brother. If I had Bills seasons and lived in Buffalo, I wouldn't have the ticket. Having said that, to me $300 a lot cheaper tahn 1 DWI, plus with the hi def tivo I record most games and watch them without commercials. Great way to go with two youngins in the house, and the fall is the best time of year here in Central VA, hate to lose 3 hrs inside on a gorgeous 70 degree day